Grocery shopping

Forum: June 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 22nd, 2013, 09:15 AM
Madison.Hailey.Zack's Avatar Mom of 2 Girls and a Boy!
How do you prepare for grocery shopping?

I make a weeks worth meal list and then make my list of what I need off that. Then I add the other items we need outside of the meals. It seems to help me a lot. I used to shop every 2 weeks but found we didn't have the space in the fridge/freezer to store everything so I'm back to every week. I don't mind doing the shopping but hate putting it away so I try and go on sundays so I can leave the kids at home with dad and he puts the stuff away when I get home.

October 22nd, 2013, 10:05 AM
Joanne Nicole's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I refuse to shop on the weekends because the grocery store is a madhouse with the number of people shopping. I always go first thing Monday morning - that's when my store restocks, and as long as I get there right after dropping off DD at school, there's usually no more than a dozen other shoppers in the whole store with me. Finn is usually content in his car seat in the cart for the hour or so that it takes me to shop.

I plan the week's menu and write up the shopping list on Sunday. We only eat meat 1-2 times per week because of the cost, but I only plan meals with meat from what we've already got in our freezer. That way when I go to the store, if any meat is crazy on sale, or there's a good deal on a reduced item that I can put straight into my freezer, I'll buy that and use it for future week's menus.

I pretty much stick to my shopping list, unless I find a really good deal on something that I can stock up on for the freezer or pantry.

October 22nd, 2013, 10:25 AM
DH is a hunter so the venison helps cut the bill down some. We are big chicken eaters too.

October 22nd, 2013, 11:47 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I make a menu and build my list off of that. I try not to go shopping hungry, because then I come home with lots of buy one get one things. Last time it was cake mix, today it was frosting for the cake mix....

We go on Saturday or Sunday usually. DH likes to be involved. And it's much easier to do the shopping with him. 4 hands are better than 2

Thank you *Kiliki* for the beautiful siggy
October 22nd, 2013, 08:40 PM
Hopeful2BMommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Pretty much the same as you for the lists. Hubby wouldn't put away groceries but I try to go when he can go with me so he can carry it all in.
October 23rd, 2013, 08:06 AM
I wish DH liked going shopping. He hates it so having him put it away is great! He helps me bring it in too.

October 23rd, 2013, 09:23 AM
MissyBee's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I may make a list... But that's only if I'm making something specific. We don't cook much. We don't like the sane foods. So, he makes his own food and I make mine, for the most part. I need to try and plan out meals (at least for myself if not both of us) and shop that way, I would probably buy less.
October 23rd, 2013, 01:53 PM
bribugg13's Avatar SAHM to Pirate & Princess
Send a message via MSN to bribugg13 Send a message via Yahoo to bribugg13 Send a message via Skype™ to bribugg13
I usually do the menu shopping as well, lately I've been winging it and if I decide to make something midweek and don't have an ingredient, I just stop on the way home from dropping Connor at preschool.

DH and I usually shop together on the weekends, some weeks I will do the shopping after dropping Connor at preschool, I really need to get into that habit anyway to free up our weekends.

We buy meat at Costco, so the freezer always has something in it....if meat is crazy on sale at the grocery store, I'll pick that up sometimes as well.

October 24th, 2013, 07:29 PM
jhmomofmany's Avatar Look! A Dancing Banana!
Send a message via Yahoo to jhmomofmany
Ya'll are much more organized than I am! How often I can get to a real grocery store varies (it's 40 miles away), and a couple times during the week I might run to the "market" there in town (very tiny place) for stuff we run out of and can't do without.

Robert: 18 Raechel: 17 Daniel: 14 Joseph: 12 Thomas: 10 Mary Mae: 6 Lucy Marie: 4 and John Anthony, 1!!

Always Missing our Angels: Hope (7-8-06 @36w) and Francis (7-4-12 @12w)

I've lost 60 pounds, and I'm stronger than ever! No gimmicks, no BS, just exercise, nutrition, and support from the awesome Fitness and Weight Loss board here at JM!! Click the blinkie to join us!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search