Owwwiee!

Forum: June 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Madison.Hailey.Zack
  • 1 Post By MerinSun
  • 1 Post By QueenCrafty

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 4th, 2013, 02:30 PM
Super Mommy
So Hailey has two bottom teeth and she has begun to bite when she nurses. holy @%*#)"%#&% it hurts!!!!! i kept saying to dh 'i can't believe she hasn't drawn blood yet.' well i ate my words today...she bit and pulled at the same time and definitely drew some blood. ugh it hurts just thinking about it lol. i dont know what to do...i tell her 'no' or 'ouch that hurts' but being 5 months old she doesnt really care lol. it seems to be only during the day when she's wide awake. during the night or if she's very sleepy she wont bite. i tend to give her the boob anytime she seems fussy so a lot of times she's not actually hungry...perhaps she is just biting when she doesn't want to eat? if so, point well taken little lady! anyone else have a biter? i'm considering pumping instead..i really don't want to but if it means me not getting bitten all the time i might have to.
December 4th, 2013, 04:14 PM
Madison.Hailey.Zack's Avatar Mom of 2 Girls and a Boy!
Ouch!! I am not looking forward to that day. I've heard that pulling them off for a few can help them stop biting.
KellBell2621 likes this.

December 4th, 2013, 09:00 PM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
I would end the session and try again in a few minutes. That stinks for sure but she will get the hang of nursing with her teeth. ) hugs !

December 4th, 2013, 09:02 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Very easy fix to this! And you can always modify it to your comfort, but the key is suddenness and consistency!

When your LO chomps down:

Step 1: Immediately unlatch say "NO!" very firmly. Sometimes that is enough after a few tries. But sometimes not.

Step 2: While saying "NO!" very firmly, tap (*not* flick or hit or smack) their mouth. This surprises them and calls attention to the thing that is committing the offense. It is not intended to hurt, it is an attention getter. If this doesn't work then go on to:

Step 3: Unlatch, say "NO!" and tap their mouth, and then immediately plunk them down on the floor or in a seat. Some moms walk away for a few minutes to tend to their wounds while others will sit and wait a minute looking at their kid. Whichever! The important thing is for the child to understand that when they bite the fun times END! After enough time has passed that you feel is appropriate (a few seconds to a few minutes, or if it is the end of a session anyways the next session) you can pick them up and latch them back on.

This worked like a charm on Alex. I'd sit him on the floor next to me and he'd cry and mouth his fingers. I'd say "Biting hurts! Don't do it!" and then pick him up again. After a bit they start watching you to see if you're watching them and you can sometimes guess when they're about to and say "NO!" and they'll stop. Alex would always laugh at me when I foiled his plans but he knew what I meant when I said "NO!".
Kim3 likes this.

'Scuse the bad typing, please. 'Breast is Best' but not when browsing the internet!

December 5th, 2013, 05:14 AM
Super Mommy
thank you so much for the suggestions!! i will definitely put them to use today!
December 5th, 2013, 06:41 AM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
Abri bit me just once before she got teeth, but it still hurt. I screamed and pulled her off. She was so surprised and never did it again. If you are having trouble getting her to let go, you can pull her into your breast for a second. Babies unlatch to breath that way you don't have to yank them off while they are still chomping down.
KellBell2621 likes this.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search