Were you

Forum: June 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Kim3

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 11th, 2013, 12:34 PM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
Breastfed?

Do you think it impacted your decision to Breastfeed?

December 11th, 2013, 01:16 PM
Super Mommy
my mom breastfed me and my brother for the first 3 months. i don't know why i just always planned on bf'ing..i never imagined any struggles with it though. i had a tough time with my son and partially bf'ed him until 6-6 and a 1/2 months so with hailey i was determined to exclusively breastfeed as long as i could. 5+ months going strong!
December 11th, 2013, 04:17 PM
bribugg13's Avatar SAHM to Pirate & Princess
Send a message via MSN to bribugg13 Send a message via Yahoo to bribugg13 Send a message via Skype™ to bribugg13
I was, for just about as long as I had BF Connor (about 2.5 years). It definitely helped having the support and no weirdness about it!

December 11th, 2013, 05:36 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I was not, I was born 12 weeks early so back then the idea was that breast milk wasn't enough for preemies. My mom tried with my sister but didn't last long at all.
December 11th, 2013, 05:38 PM
Madison.Hailey.Zack's Avatar Mom of 2 Girls and a Boy!
I don't know if I was breastfed. I'll have to ask my mom. I didn't really have anything other then curiosity about it and that caused interest with my first. Since we had issues it made me want to work harder with my next one and so on.

December 11th, 2013, 06:24 PM
MamaSkunk's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My mom breastfed all of us. Even my micropreemie brother. I was BF over 6 months. Yes it made mewant to breastfeed. Unfortunately my boobs suck and cannot produce enough and are jacked up causing latch problems. I wish iI had it as easy as my mom did. She had oversupply and no match problems.

December 11th, 2013, 06:26 PM
TeresaV's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
No. I was born with gastroschisis and had to have special prescription formula.

December 11th, 2013, 06:34 PM
MissyBee's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Yes. I'm not sure for how long though. I'll have to ask my mom. I don't know if it impacted my decision really, I knew I wanted to do it just based on the benefits. I don't think it would have made me want to do formula if I had been on formula.
December 12th, 2013, 05:47 AM
cheerfulsunrise's Avatar Super Mommy
I was bottle fed, and so were all my sisters. When I first became a mom I instinctively thought I would bottle feed, but a nurse talked me into breastfeeding, and I bf'ed my older two for 2 yrs each. With Leona, it has been different. She had latch problems and weight problems... Long story short... She is bottle fed pumped milk and supplemented with formula.

December 12th, 2013, 06:54 AM
Mom2LillieAidan's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I was not breastfed but I do think it affected my decision. I can't imagine a closer bond with a child than BFing.

#1, 4, 5, 7
December 12th, 2013, 07:25 AM
Joanne Nicole's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Yes, my mom breastfed all 4 of us kids for over 2 years each. She's amazing. And yes, it influenced me. I always knew I wanted to breastfeed my kids.

December 12th, 2013, 07:28 AM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
I was bottle fed soy formula. My mom tried breastfeeding my older sister a few weeks and hated it. She automatically chose formula for me, but I was allergic to regular cows milk formula. It may have affected my breastfeeding decision with my first. I breastfed for 5 months but switched to formula after that. I was having a hard time bonding and resented having to be stuck with a baby attached to me (hello PPD!). I figured I turned out okay on formula so she would too, and she did. I chose EBF with Abri because we were poor, which worked out great because she refused bottles. We're still poor and I'm kind of crunchy now so I chose EBF for Henry too
December 12th, 2013, 07:29 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I was not breastfed. Neither of my sisters breastfed their children. In fact, they told me that they thought it was kinda disgusting. I guess I am just the independent type. I really wanted to do it - and did. First two children until 17 months and 15 months. We will see with Ellianna - but at 6 months of age she only ever received 3 ounces of formula. One of the female partners in my office had a baby a year before me and breastfed. I think the support I received from female co-workers really made it easier.

December 12th, 2013, 03:46 PM
TeresaV's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim3 View Post
I was not breastfed. Neither of my sisters breastfed their children. In fact, they told me that they thought it was kinda disgusting. I guess I am just the independent type. I really wanted to do it - and did. First two children until 17 months and 15 months. We will see with Ellianna - but at 6 months of age she only ever received 3 ounces of formula. One of the female partners in my office had a baby a year before me and breastfed. I think the support I received from female co-workers really made it easier.
Disgusting? Holy crap.

December 12th, 2013, 07:18 PM
Hopeful2BMommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I wasn't. Most of you know my story. I was raised by my dad from 5 days on.
I want so badly to be the best mom I can be to Eli. Probably has a lot to do with the fact that my mom wasn't even a part of my life. Also probably had to do with why it was so difficult.for me to accept that breastfeeding didn't work for us. But I know I'm a good momma even though my baby gets formula
December 12th, 2013, 09:16 PM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopeful2BMommy View Post
I want so badly to be the best mom I can be to Eli. Probably has a lot to do with the fact that my mom wasn't even a part of my life. Also probably had to do with why it was so difficult.for me to accept that breastfeeding didn't work for us. But I know I'm a good momma even though my baby gets formula
You are a great mom Hun! Huge hugs!

December 13th, 2013, 09:41 AM
Mega Super Mommy
My mom breastfed my sister for about 6 weeks but it turned out that her supply was very low and my sister was starving. She breastfed me for maybe 4 and had the same problem. I had to be put on the expensive formula at the time because I had bad reactions to the simple stuff.

I don't know if she tried with my brother. I've talked to my mom about her struggles with it and the advice she was given about it all made me really sad because it was all terrible advice. I really do think that if she had the support and information that we all have now, she'd have succeeded.

I honestly have no idea why I knew I'd breastfeed. It just seemed natural to me. You have baby, you nurse baby. Even though everyone I knew as i grew up was bottle feeding.

'Scuse the bad typing, please. 'Breast is Best' but not when browsing the internet!

December 13th, 2013, 12:07 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopeful2BMommy View Post
You are a great mama. Breastfeeding is just one area or manner in which we parent. There are so many ways we bond with our babies - and you clearly have a close bond with Eli.
navywifey2003 likes this.

December 16th, 2013, 06:18 AM
Super Mommy
I was breastfed for about 6 weeks until my mom had to go back to work. She says in the early 80s that manual pumps just didn't cut it. She took a year off work with my younger brother and breastfed him for 6 months. I sorta remember her feeding him, but really BFing had more to do with the fact that I'm kinda crunchy and if I'm being totally honest with myself, BFing fit in more with the financial plan I had set out for this kid.

"Shake it up now, Sugaree. I'll meet you at the Jubilee. And if that Jubilee don't come. Maybe I'll meet you on the run."

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search