What are you doing for solids?

Forum: June 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree6Likes
  • 3 Post By QueenCrafty
  • 1 Post By Kim3
  • 1 Post By bribugg13
  • 1 Post By Madison.Hailey.Zack

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 1st, 2014, 01:32 PM
alittlelost's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Who started early (before 6 months)?
Who is waiting or waited for the gut to mature?
Is anyone waiting longer than that? How long will you wait? (I know there are also benefits of waiting a year to start.)
Will you do purees or BLW? Will you make your own?
Will you skip grains?

I know a lot of moms start early, but we've always waited for the age the gut matures or later. With our 1st we started at 7 months, our 2nd at 8 months, and our 3rd at 9 months. This one probably we will start at 8 months (6 months adjusted) but we want to take it really slow. Right now we keep her happy while we eat by giving her an empty baby spoon. She knows what to do with it lol. She's met all the "readiness" signs but obviously there's no way to see if the gut is ready so we are waiting for that. If she isn't interested when we do start, we'll be glad to wait even longer, but right now she seems really interested and it's just a matter of putting it off until it's at least safe to start Oh, and we are going to make our own and skip grains. I think we will do a mix of purrees and BLW. We did BLW with #2 and #3 but this girl is so much different than they were so we have to adjust for her as an individual (while keeping it safe and healthy of course!)

Last edited by alittlelost; January 1st, 2014 at 01:34 PM.
January 1st, 2014, 01:51 PM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
I haven't started yet and Henry was 6 months before Christmas. I'll probably do just a little homemade purées before moving on to just small bits of our food. I don't buy jar food and don't do baby cereals.
January 1st, 2014, 03:04 PM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
We are doing BLW. She eats what we eat for the most part of modified for her a bit. It's been going great!

January 1st, 2014, 03:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenCrafty View Post
I haven't started yet and Henry was 6 months before Christmas. I'll probably do just a little homemade purées before moving on to just small bits of our food. I don't buy jar food and don't do baby cereals.
I think that's so awesome! Most people don't wait until 6 months (I think it's the excitement--I understand the excitement!) So I always get excited when I meet other people who are waiting

Quote:
Originally Posted by navywifey2003 View Post
We are doing BLW. She eats what we eat for the most part of modified for her a bit. It's been going great!
Once we start and she has tried some foods to rule out allergies (I'm extra cautious with her because of her sensitive skin) then we want to do like you are -- mostly eating what we eat
January 1st, 2014, 03:58 PM
8miraclez's Avatar Formerly Halfbaked
Jocelyn has had solids about 3 times. I've always gone straight to table foods with my other kids, but because Jockey has a colostomy, we gave her pureed sweet potatoes. She seemed to do fine but wasn't too interested. I'm not in a hurry. She has no teeth and can't sit unassisted so she can wait.

To read updates about our baby born with major birth defects, like our Facebook page
January 1st, 2014, 05:06 PM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
Quote:
Originally Posted by alittlelost View Post
I think that's so awesome! Most people don't wait until 6 months (I think it's the excitement--I understand the excitement!) So I always get excited when I meet other people who are waiting
With him being my third, I think I've gotten lazy! It's tricky trying to figure out time to make a bit of food and feed him between preschool drop off/pick up, school bus pick up, dance classes, etc. Whipping out the boob is just easier!
January 1st, 2014, 05:19 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Ellianna started cereal around 5 months and then other purees at 6 months. She will be 7 months next week. She eats mainly purees that I make for her. She also likes mashed potatoes (I use almond milk since she is no dairy). She also eats tiny pieces of cooked carrots off of the table.
alittlelost likes this.

January 1st, 2014, 05:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenCrafty View Post
With him being my third, I think I've gotten lazy! It's tricky trying to figure out time to make a bit of food and feed him between preschool drop off/pick up, school bus pick up, dance classes, etc. Whipping out the boob is just easier!
LOL! Yeah, I guess he novelty wears off and you realize they have their whole lives to eat It's been years since I had the last, so my excitement is back, but I doubt I'll do it every day when we start.

When I had my oldest we actually started solids early, but then I found out that wasn't the healthiest idea, so we stopped (it was a few days after we had started) and then didn't start again for another 2 months (when he was 7 months old). but yeah, as exciting as it is, there's more to deal with with solids than breastfeeding! Preparing the food, feeding the food, the extra dishes, the yuckier diapers. It's not all glamorous haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8miraclez View Post
Jocelyn has had solids about 3 times. I've always gone straight to table foods with my other kids, but because Jockey has a colostomy, we gave her pureed sweet potatoes. She seemed to do fine but wasn't too interested. I'm not in a hurry. She has no teeth and can't sit unassisted so she can wait.
It's better not to rush is anyway <3 You are awesome so modify what you usually do to account for her needs that are different than your other kids were. That's kind of the boat we are in now, too, with doing things different than we usual do. Isabel in a lot of ways is like a 6 month old even though her adjusted age is younger. And she seems SO eager to start solids. I'm waiting for that tummy to most likely be mature, but when we start, we will probably use more purees than table foods because I know she is a sensitive baby and I just want to be 100% sure she does okay digesting the food. But who knows, maybe by the time we try solids for the first time she will have lost interest. If we let her eat everything she tried to grab off our plates, we'd be in trouble right now, because coordination-wise she is ready to eat, and when she gets teething tablet you can just tell she would know how to eat solids if you gave them to her.
January 1st, 2014, 06:47 PM
bribugg13's Avatar SAHM to Pirate & Princess
Send a message via MSN to bribugg13 Send a message via Yahoo to bribugg13 Send a message via Skype™ to bribugg13
I just gave her some mashed banana last weekend, I think she got a few pea-sized spoonfuls in there, then played with the diced up pieces. She just turned 6m a week ago. Like Courtney, I'm being lazy and in no rush, just easier to pop out the boob and not have to clean up messes. We won't do the jar food or cereals, etc. My first had delays and wasn't interested in food until he was close to a year, so it's a little different this time around, as Peyton is VERY interested and watches us intently when we eat. If you put a spoon or even a cup towards her mouth, she opens up wide lol!

I think we'll give peas and carrots a try this week/weekend and see what she thinks.
alittlelost likes this.

January 1st, 2014, 08:43 PM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
Omg Courtney I'm so lazy! Payson gets some for us with dinner and that's it.

January 2nd, 2014, 06:09 PM
Madison.Hailey.Zack's Avatar Mom of 2 Girls and a Boy!
I waited till Zack was a few days shy of 6 months old. I've made all his food so far. We started with sweet potatoes, then moved on to peas and now we are on bananas. I'm taking my time but he is showing just how ready he was. After I finish feeding him I give him the spoon to play with for a bit.
alittlelost likes this.

January 2nd, 2014, 06:30 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I started early, about 5 months, because this kid leaned over and started eating my banana. I started with mostly homemade purees, but now that he has teeth and loves chewing on everything, I've started giving him bits of what we're eating (kid is making sure I eat healthier lol) The no purees is def. easier and he loves it so much more!

Thank you *Kiliki* for the beautiful siggy
January 2nd, 2014, 07:46 PM
hilachu's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to hilachu
Emerson hates baby food
She just wants real people food so i give her bits of what I'm eating if its appropriate.
She will eat the baby oatmeal though, which im ok with

January 4th, 2014, 01:55 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I started when Weston was 5 months. I started with veggies than moved on to the fruit. Ive only given him purees so far. Oh and a piece of peach in mesh feeder.

January 4th, 2014, 07:26 PM
bribugg13's Avatar SAHM to Pirate & Princess
Send a message via MSN to bribugg13 Send a message via Yahoo to bribugg13 Send a message via Skype™ to bribugg13
So, I totally broke down and bought some pouches of organic baby food today lol. It was just so tempting to try to feed her purees to see if she likes it. I got one of each type of fruit/veggie #1 pouches to try over the next few weeks. I feel better about it because the ingredients are just the fruit or veggie, some add water or vit c (I got 2 different brands). I don't plan on sticking with the purees long, or if she really loves them, then I'll start making my own, but I'm really lazy HA HA it's so much easier to just give them pieces and bites of food they can eat themselves!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search