A Baby Boy Issue...

Forum: June 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 3rd, 2014, 09:00 PM
Hey everyone,

I am a newcomer to the JM boards, and slightly nervous as as a first-time poster, so please excuse me if I seem like I'm rambling/not making sense. I am looking for any kind of advice or assistance I can get from moms of boys around my son's age - he is seven months old, and I'm just not sure of what to do regarding a rather delicate issue...I suppose I should add a TMI warning in advance, just in case, that this concerns his private parts...

So, my son is circumcised, and to begin with I hadn't noticed anything out of the ordinary regarding his penis - basically, I would say that it looked how I would expect a circumcised penis to look. But in recent times, I've noticed that the skin that sits behind the rim of the head of his penis seems different; apologies if this comes across strange, but it's hard to describe in text...Where previously this skin behind the head of his penis would just stay in a 'relaxed' position, it now appears like it's been stretched/pulled into a restrictive position and can't go back to the position it had been in previously. I suppose the best visual comparison I could think of, is if an uncircumcised boy's foreskin was rolled back so that the head of his penis was exposed, and his foreskin was then held firmly back behind the head so that it couldn't stretch or roll back over the head of his penis...That's kind of what I would say my son's penis looks like now. I have heard about circumcised boys having issues with skin re-attaching to the head or the like, but I feel like this is a different sort of issue...To me, it seems more like the head of my son's penis has enlarged as he has grown, but the skin sitting behind it has not been able to grow with it or accommodate it to the same extent, and hence the stretched/restricted appearance at present. My concern with this is basically that if the skin behind the head of his penis is already having to stretch this way as the head enlarges, then what will it be like as he develops further, you know?

At the same time as I noticed this issue, I also felt like the appearance of his penis had changed in another sense; where previously I'd have described the head of my son's penis as having a sort of deep pink color, it also began to take on what I'd describe as a sort of blue-ish kind of tinge. In the end, I just wasn't feeling right about either the skin stretching or the color of the head, and so I decided to take him to a pediatrician to have him checked out. She examined his penis, and basically said that as for the skin behind the head the head of his penis stretching, she felt that this was preferable to skin covering over/re-attaching to the he head of his penis, and that no two circumcised boys will ever appear exactly alike - this is just how his penis is, as far as she's concerned. As for the blue-ish tinge to the head of his penis, she felt that it had to do with the fact that the head of his penis was still quite thin-skinned, and that it would change in color as it thickened/roughened in time. In short, it felt very much along the lines of "you're concerned over nothing, don't be concerned".

I guess I just feel like my concerns still haven't really been addressed. Of course, I'm well aware that each individual baby's circumcision produces differing results in terms of looks, but I see this stretching/restricting of the skin behind the head as being about more than just looks. I mean, as far as I can tell, it doesn't cause him pain on any noticeable level, but I know myself that if skin on other areas of the body is stretched tautly for too long, it feels uncomfortable, and so I imagine it would feel all the more odd/unpleasant on such a sensitive area. As far as the color of the head goes, I could sort of understand the doctor's logic about the skin being thin, but given that he is seven months old now, I'd have thought that that the roughening/thickening process she was talking about with the head would have already have begun by now, at least.

So, I'm just wondering if anybody here has encountered anything similar with their son, or even if anyone could just throw out some possible hypotheticals as to what might be happening....Am I being over-cautious here?
January 4th, 2014, 04:38 AM
Mega Super Mommy
While our baby is a girl, we have two older boys both of whom were circumcised. I don't have much of a recollection of anything blue. I would be concerned if it was really cold to the touch. Otherwise, it is probably just the vessels that you see????

January 4th, 2014, 05:15 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I worked in day care so I saw a lot of different kinds of cuts. Based on your description, it sounds normal. I've seen many baby and toddler penis heads that were a purple/blue color and it's because of the veins and thin skin. If it turns a DARK color, like the tip is filling with blood, is swelling, causing pain, etc, then there's an issue.

Keep an eye out for any pain, discomfort, funny odors, reddening, etc. If you still feel strongly that it needs to be looked at ask for a urologist referral. I have to take my oldest in to see them in about 2 weeks. He wasn't circumcised but I've noticed that he's being crooked and this penis is swelling like a lopsided balloon when he pees, lol. We're expecting that they'll recommend a circumcision.

'Scuse the bad typing, please. 'Breast is Best' but not when browsing the internet!

January 4th, 2014, 08:37 AM
alittlelost's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm sure it's fine, but you should show to the pediatrician just to confirm.

Tags
baby boy

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search