Infant car seat

Forum: June 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree13Likes
  • 2 Post By Mom2LillieAidan
  • 1 Post By Madison.Hailey.Zack
  • 3 Post By MerinSun
  • 1 Post By TeresaV
  • 1 Post By Madison.Hailey.Zack
  • 2 Post By MerinSun
  • 1 Post By navywifey2003
  • 1 Post By laurenmarie
  • 1 Post By cheerfulsunrise

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 5th, 2014, 05:31 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Anyone still using an infant car seat. We have the Graco Snugride 35. It is supposed to be up to 35 pounds and 32 inches. Ellianna is 17 1/2 pounds and 28 inches (we 28 inches as of 2 weeks ago). Her feet are beginning to hand over the end and I cannot pull the straps up higher. Thinking we need to switch really soon. Not sure how any baby 35 pounds would fit in the thing.

Anyone suggest a good convertible seat for next? I need three of them (one for my car, when for DH's car as he drops Ellianna off at my Mom's house during the week, and one for my Mom who watches her while I work). Since I need three, I want safe ones, but hoping not to spend a fortune. Obviously a $300 seat would put back $900. Would love to find ones for about $150 if they are completely safe. In doing research on infant seats, I found the most expensive did not always get the highest safety reviews. In addition, we have three kids, so she has to have her seat fit in the middle. Our cars are both car based SUVs.

January 5th, 2014, 07:22 AM
Mom2LillieAidan's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have a MyRide65 for DD and she loves it, but it is kinda wide. Definitely in your price range though. Although since you only have one car seat in the car, it might not be too bad.
bribugg13 and Kim3 like this.

#1, 4, 5, 7
January 5th, 2014, 07:33 AM
Madison.Hailey.Zack's Avatar Mom of 2 Girls and a Boy!
Zack is still in the infant carrier. We use the Eddie Bauer that came with the travel system. I have a Graco mysize70 for him to go in next. Hailey is in the same seat and we just bought Madison the Graco nautilus. I have a trailblazer and the two mysize70's are on the outside seats and the nautilus is in the middle. I got the mysize70's on sale for $150 and the nautilus on sale for $120.
Kim3 likes this.

January 5th, 2014, 07:37 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Ha ha! I know what the problem is! I just learned about this and adjusted my Graco Snugride 30 when i ran into the very same problem. Watch this video:

Adjusting Graco Snug Ride 35 harness straps for a bigger baby (3 changes) - YouTube

Just make sure to adjust the shoulder and hip straps to get the full length.

And don't worry about the legs hanging off. My 95th percentile toddler is RF in his convertible seat still and he just props his legs up, sits with them crooked, or sits cross legged. It is never an issue. They are more likely to be uncomfortable and to break their legs FF than RF.
bribugg13, MamaSkunk and Kim3 like this.

'Scuse the bad typing, please. 'Breast is Best' but not when browsing the internet!

January 5th, 2014, 05:46 PM
TeresaV's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We switched Morgan to a convertible seat about a month and a half ago. I couldn't imagine toting an almost 20 pound baby around in an infant seat. My back was starting to suffer when she hit 15. We also needed to buy 3 seats and went super low budget. We got 3 Evenflo Triumphs. Here's the way I look at it...every seat has to pass government crash tests.
Kim3 likes this.

January 5th, 2014, 07:38 PM
Madison.Hailey.Zack's Avatar Mom of 2 Girls and a Boy!
Hailey is 2 and she is still RF. She just props her legs up or criss crosses them.
Kim3 likes this.

January 5th, 2014, 08:30 PM
Mega Super Mommy
As long as she is within the height and weight limits of the seat, you can always just keep the seat clicked into the base and pretend it's a convertible. You don't need to take it out each time That'll buy you a little bit more time.
MamaSkunk and Kim3 like this.

'Scuse the bad typing, please. 'Breast is Best' but not when browsing the internet!

January 6th, 2014, 10:08 AM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
Pays on is still in hers. She will go to a britax marathon soon. Everett is still RF.
Kim3 likes this.

January 7th, 2014, 04:42 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Weston is still in an infant one. He is getting heavy to carry him in the seat but its still easier than carrying him and trying to hold onto a a two yr old. Atleast when he is in the carseat i can put him down on the floor or ground if i need to.
Kim3 likes this.

January 8th, 2014, 07:34 AM
cheerfulsunrise's Avatar Super Mommy
We have had Leona in a convertible sine the beginning. This is what we have:
Amazon.com: Diono Radian RXT Convertible Car Seat, Shadow: Baby

It has been a little bit of a challenge sometimes not having a carrier, but overall it has been fine. We hope this car seat will be the only one she needs!
Kim3 likes this.

January 8th, 2014, 12:10 PM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
Henry is still in the infant seat, but we'll move him soon. We have the Graco MyRide65 for Abri, and frankly I hate it. It's big and it is a pain to adjust the straps. She's forward facing (3.5 years old), so if we need to adjust the strap length, we have to take the whole seat out to reach them. When she gets in, the straps slip down so we have to hold them up while she gets in. Pain in the butt trying to lean over Henry and reach the back of the minivan to help her. I would recommend the Evenflo Triumph. It has a similar weight limit, not quite as wide as the Graco, price is good, and the straps are fantastically easy! We have Lily's old Triumph (not expired) that we'll use for Henry.
January 9th, 2014, 04:41 PM
bribugg13's Avatar SAHM to Pirate & Princess
Send a message via MSN to bribugg13 Send a message via Yahoo to bribugg13 Send a message via Skype™ to bribugg13
We're still using the snugride as well, but she's so heavy lol we'll prob switch her soon. I think we switched Connor when he started getting heavy as well, and we rarely take the seat out anyway.

We also use the MyRide for the next seat, and Connor has just about outgrown his We'll be switching to the....nautilus? I think is the 5 point harness convertible to a booster seat.....he's past 3.5 and will be riding FF for the first time, YIKES!!!!

January 9th, 2014, 07:17 PM
MamaSkunk's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We are using the Infant Seat. Graco Click Connect 40 which RFs until 2/40 pounds as it adjusts for height. Tristans feet touch the back of the seat and he is fine. Jade is 3 and FF in a Graco Nautilus.
I rarely take the car seat out and just wear him. But sometimes if he is asleep I just make my hubby carry him and the seat...which combined is close to 50 pounds lol

January 10th, 2014, 12:07 AM
MissyBee's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Porter is still in the infant seat. We also have the snugride 40, which should last him til he's 2 considering he's tiny and I haven't had to move anything yet, just took out the padding. He is starting to get too heavy to carry in the seat, so I may start leaving it in the car and only taking it out if he happens to be asleep when it's time to get out. But at some point that will have to stop too! I've been carrying it by myself since my husband had his shoulder surgery. I should have more muscular arms from hauling that thing around! Ha. If he's awake I usually wear him, but I do usually carry it in and out of the house bc he hates to get in it when it's in the car. He's fine if we do it inside. So that will be fun to adjust to. Haha. And depending on the errand I'm running, sometimes it's quicker or easier to just have him in the seat instead of taking him out to wear him and then have to get him back in. But I would like to get to a point of leaving it in the car all the time!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search