nursing in public

Forum: June 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree4Likes
  • 3 Post By beatlechicksteph
  • 1 Post By MissyBee

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 9th, 2014, 03:39 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Those who bf, do you nurse in public? Do you cover up? I nurse in public but I use a nursing cover. Some ppl I know are really uncomfortable when I do it but I don't care. I just was curious what other ppl do. I only know a few ppl who nurse and they don't do it in public.

January 9th, 2014, 04:25 PM
bribugg13's Avatar SAHM to Pirate & Princess
Send a message via MSN to bribugg13 Send a message via Yahoo to bribugg13 Send a message via Skype™ to bribugg13
I nurse in public and don't use a cover. Depending on where I am, I may throw a small blanket or burp cloth over me, but for the most part, I wear a tank top underneath so I can just pull up whatever is on top. I've found I'm not having to nurse in open areas as much with Peyton as I did with Connor. I think Connor was more attached to the boob and I nursed him anywhere and everywhere. Peyton isn't so attached - or just not as needy or hungry lol - so if we're out and about she can usually wait 'til we're in the car or between stops.

January 9th, 2014, 04:51 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I nurse in public, and I used to use a cover, but I don't anymore. I try and be discreet though. But I nurse everywhere. I was a little self conscious for the first couple months, but then I joined a breastfeeding support group, and we go out all the time, and none of them use covers, so I kinda grew in confidence with them. Strangest place I've nursed? In the line for Santa at Bass Pro. Standing in line, holding my not so little baby, nursing without a cover, and not as discreet as I normally would be, but hey, when your baby has to eat, he has to eat.

Funny story, I was nursing him in a Panera bread last week, and DH had gotten up to go to the bathroom while I nursed, and I lifted up my shirt, pulled my bra down and quickly latched the baby on, and then I looked up, and there was an older man at a table across from me, and he looked me in the eye, smiled and gave me a thumbs up....LOL

Thank you *Kiliki* for the beautiful siggy
January 9th, 2014, 10:46 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I NIP. Hey, if my kid is hungry and my breasts have milk, I need to get it to her . I do cover with a thin blanket.

January 9th, 2014, 11:58 PM
MissyBee's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My husband isn't super comfortable with me NIP. I do it when needed, but if we are going to dinner or something I just usually bring some milk to give him in a bottle if he needs it. He eats so frequently that doing that periodically hasn't caused any issues with my supply. But sometimes I don't bring any if I don't think he will be hungry or if I just don't wanna deal with bringing it, which ends up in me feeding him usually. lol. My husband will say "did you bring him milk" and I say, "yes... I still have my boobs." If I do nurse in public (or like around his family - or even mine), he's super concerned about me being covered up. I just wanna say... They are my boobs, stop it!
Kim3 likes this.
January 10th, 2014, 04:24 AM
Mega Super Mommy
MissyBee - my dh was more like thst with our first two. Now that we areoutnumbered, he is just glad I can get Ellianna happy and fed.

January 10th, 2014, 05:47 AM
Mom2LillieAidan's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
DH expressed concern when Aidan was first born that he wasn't crazy about me NIP but he's more comfortable with it. I have done it in the car, at the Exploreum, at a Chinese restaurant. You know, I'll do it.

#1, 4, 5, 7
January 10th, 2014, 07:27 AM
Mega Super Mommy
My husband used to be uncomfortable with me NIP uncovered, and then he watched me use my cover and Arthur kept pulling it away, and choking me, and when I use a blanket he pulls it and throws it on the floor. After that, DH decided he no longer cared. He was just uncomfortable bc he's a teacher and his students are everywhere. I said, "Let them see what breasts are really used for." Now it's just common place. I won't even cover up around family and friends anymore.

Thank you *Kiliki* for the beautiful siggy
January 10th, 2014, 08:01 AM
Madison.Hailey.Zack's Avatar Mom of 2 Girls and a Boy!
I NIP. I will use a blanket if I'm feeling uncomfortable but I'm in the habit of wearing a tank top under a shirt so I can just pull up and latch. I normally feed him right before we leave though so I don't have to nurse him if possible. I nursed him while sitting at the table at my cousins on NYE and other than my cousins who were sitting there with me, the guys said they didn't even know I was nursing.

January 10th, 2014, 08:16 AM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
I NIP without a cover. If I'm out shopping, I prefer to use a dressing room just because Henry gets distracted. I have sat down in the middle of Bass Pro Shop before. DH doesn't care if I NIP without a cover.
January 10th, 2014, 09:09 AM
TeresaMomTo2Boys's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I typically wear a tank top under a shirt and then i lift the top shirt and keep the tank down so no one sees anything. I have nursed in public with FIL and DH present and they both said "if anyone has anything to say, they can go through me" so they are very accepting of my nursing

January 11th, 2014, 01:42 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissyBee View Post
My husband isn't super comfortable with me NIP. I do it when needed, but if we are going to dinner or something I just usually bring some milk to give him in a bottle if he needs it. He eats so frequently that doing that periodically hasn't caused any issues with my supply. But sometimes I don't bring any if I don't think he will be hungry or if I just don't wanna deal with bringing it, which ends up in me feeding him usually. lol. My husband will say "did you bring him milk" and I say, "yes... I still have my boobs." If I do nurse in public (or like around his family - or even mine), he's super concerned about me being covered up. I just wanna say... They are my boobs, stop it!
I feel like sayig stop it to my husband too. He never said anything when i nursed my daughter but now with my son he says things like why dont you go out to the car or go in the other room. I always use my cover up or a a blanket so i dont see why he cares. I think someone must have said someng to him but he wont admit it.

January 11th, 2014, 03:51 PM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
The only place I use a cover is church. Otherwise Payson is not having it. My husband is very open about nursing and will say something if anyone was rude to me.

January 11th, 2014, 07:09 PM
SassySami's Avatar Crunchy mama
I nip all the time. Never used a cover . I was walking around the store nursing Jarek, a older lady came up to me and told me how proud she is of me

Sami, married to Joe, mama to Debra (9), Kaydence (7), Nolan (2) and Jarek born 6/26/2013, unassisted at home

January 12th, 2014, 05:44 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I used a cover a lot in the beginning and then my LO (my oldest) figured out that he can yank it off and toss it all around. I finally just kept a thin blanket it in the back pack to cover while latching/unlatching but otherwise had nothing cover us.

'Scuse the bad typing, please. 'Breast is Best' but not when browsing the internet!

January 12th, 2014, 07:12 AM
alittlelost's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I nurse in public. I used to use a cover but it attracted more attention than not using one. Now I life my shirt and that the shirt falls over her mouth but not her nose once she is latched on.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner
January 12th, 2014, 04:43 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I NIP all the time. I remember trying to use a cover with my first but it was a pain so I would use a blanket. This time I don't care. I wear a tank and just lift up shirt and pull tank down. I do still cover up semi when at a school function. Dh gets all weird if I don't cover up and then I remind him that no one can see my boobs and if they can it is far less skin then the trampy chics with their boobs hanging out

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search