Reduced bf'ing

Forum: June 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By TeresaV

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 15th, 2014, 08:22 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Anyone breastfeeding and finding that LO really is not quite so interested anymore.

Ellianna is the 3rd child I breastfed. My boys each until 15-18 months. They would nurse anytime it was offered - even 20 minutes after a marathon session. Recently, Ellianna is picky about when and if she nurses (or even takes a bottle). For instance, she got up and nursed last night at 3:30. I tried nursing her this morning at 7:15 before I left for work. Completely uninterested. Now tht was nearly 4 hours so she should have been a little hungry. She used to take 16-20 ounces (or more) from a bottle while I was at work. Yesterday, it was a fight to get 6 1/2 ounces into her between the hours of 7:30 and 5:15. She had a 2 ounce (yes, just 2) at 4:20. She had no interest in nursing until about 6:00. She seems to only want to nurse at night when it is very quiet.

January 15th, 2014, 09:51 AM
Mom2LillieAidan's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I definitely don't have that problem, as Aidan still nurses every 1.5-3 hours except during the night. Right before bed, he has a marathon of about an hour, nursing off and on. However, he does not take a bottle.

Have you increased her solid food intake at all? That's the only thing I can think of that would cause her disinterest in breast milk (in any form).

#1, 4, 5, 7
January 15th, 2014, 10:00 AM
Madison.Hailey.Zack's Avatar Mom of 2 Girls and a Boy!
Yep, Zack has been getting more fussy during nursing. If it doesn't start to flow within seconds he gets mad. Then as he empties them, he gets mad. DH made the comment about maybe my supply is down. I havent done anything to lessen it but I guess I need to bust out the pump or something.

January 15th, 2014, 10:10 AM
Mega Super Mommy
My supply is fine. I get to work and need to pump by 10 - and I get 10 ounces used to get 6. I think she is just too fascinated with what is going on around her. She will not nurse if her brothers are in the room playing. If DH starts to talk, she stops nursing. If she can see a toy, she stops. Geesh - doesn't hunger just take over.

And she is eating solids. She gets it 3 times a day - when we all sit down for meals. I try to nurse beforehand. This may sound awful, but by giving her solids I can put her in the highchair and she can be with us at dinner. This way I have everyone at the table. As she is now mobile, if she is not in the highchair I cannot sit at the table.

January 15th, 2014, 11:03 AM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
Payson gets easily distracted. She pops on and off but has not decreased the time spent nursing.

January 15th, 2014, 01:40 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Arthur still nurses every couple hours, even at night. I'm hoping eventually he'll cut back at night again.

Thank you *Kiliki* for the beautiful siggy
January 15th, 2014, 03:12 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Weston doesnt eat too much during the day anymore. He nurses a ton in the evening and every couple hours at night.

January 15th, 2014, 07:38 PM
TeresaV's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Yep. Morgan is easily distracted. She'll nurse for at least a few minutes every time I offer, but it is after much popping on and off, turning her head to look around (boob still in her mouth), trying to roll over (again, boob still in mouth), and making crazy groaning sounds. I know she's getting enough to eat so I'm not too worried. She's gained over a pound in 5 weeks.
Kim3 likes this.

January 16th, 2014, 09:26 PM
alittlelost's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I think it's partly developmental. at this age they are more interested in looking and moving around than nursing. If you work through it, they will get past it and nurse more Also, always offer the breast before a bottle or solids if you can.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search