Carseats

Forum: June 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree6Likes
  • 4 Post By navywifey2003
  • 1 Post By navywifey2003
  • 1 Post By Joanne Nicole

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 7th, 2014, 10:02 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Okay, so I'm part of a local group of mommies and we have a facebook group and offer advice and stuff. We're all first time moms, for the most part, and Arthur is the oldest baby at 8 months, the next oldest baby is almost 7 months.

A bunch of the moms went to Target and got new carseats when they were on sale, and since their babies are almost outgrowing the bucket seats, they're getting ready to switch...the new seats they bought, however, aren't made for rear facing though. They're forward facing only. The moms are excited to use the seats, and once the babies gain the 2lbs they need to "fit" in the seat, they're going to put them in it, if not before. The doctors are encouraging it, saying as long as they're meeting their developmental milestones, they'll be fine forward facing before one.

I, for one, am planning on rear facing Arthur until he's 2. My seat is rated to rear face until 40lbs, so I'm going to do that.

My question is, am I crazy for thinking these moms aren't making a wise choice? Forward facing at 6-7 months???? I know that there are new recommendations out about how kids should rear face until they're 2, but it really bothers me that the doctors are supporting their choices...thoughts???

Thank you *Kiliki* for the beautiful siggy
February 7th, 2014, 10:15 AM
Joanne Nicole's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I thought that in most places rear-facing for the first year was the law. It is here. If you get pulled over with a baby who's obviously less than a year old, facing forward, they'll ticket you.

We're going to be rear-facing for at least one year. Our seat is only rated to 29 lbs rear-facing, and Finn is already 23 lbs, so we'll probably have to turn him forward around his birthday.

February 7th, 2014, 10:39 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I would definitely do rear until at least one year. After that I guess we will see. That said, I was at the developmental ped yesterday for my 11 year old. They have a poster that says 9-12 year olds should be in a booster seat, and definitely until 4 foot 9 inches. Well my son is 4 ft 10 inches and 11 years. I mentioned that he has not been in a booster for 2 years - and the ped said yep, she sees nothing wrong with taking them out of the booster around age 8 or 9, unless they are really small. However, I do not let my son ride in the front - as you need to be 12.

February 7th, 2014, 10:46 AM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
Wow. It is against the law for one, the law is 1 AND 20lbs. With a recommendation of 2 years old. I can barely picture Everett ff let alone Payson. There is a possibility of internal decapitation. It's not about developmental milestones and all about muscles and bone development.

February 7th, 2014, 11:40 AM
Super Mommy
oh boy that makes me nervous :-/ i was told by our ped that they are going to be changing the law to rear facing until age 2. my son is 25 months old and still RFing. i plan on keeping hailey RF until at least 2 as well.
February 7th, 2014, 12:55 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Okay, I'm glad I'm not the only one who sees a problem with this. the one girl is adamant about turning him as soon as he's 20lbs since that's when he outgrows his bucket seat. I guess I just don't understand why she didn't buy a seat that can rear face and be sat in at a larger weight.

February 7th, 2014, 01:30 PM
Madison.Hailey.Zack's Avatar Mom of 2 Girls and a Boy!
Yeah no Zack will stay rf for as long as possible. Hailey is 28 months and still rf and has shown no issues with it either. Those ladies are crazy to think that milestones are what they should go off for car seat safety. Shaking my head!

February 7th, 2014, 03:41 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I just told her that Florida law is rf to 1 year. She responded that she talked to her ped at his 6 month appointment and she said it was fine to flip him :-/ and stated the milestone thing again. I just don't understand

February 7th, 2014, 04:21 PM
TeresaV's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
A woman I work with has her 8 month old FFing. Why? Because she has a 2 door car and "it's too hard to get her into her seat rear facing." Really? People really piss me off sometimes.

February 7th, 2014, 04:51 PM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
That is just sad and her child will likely be severely hurt or
Dead in an accident. This makes me fume.
TeresaV likes this.

February 7th, 2014, 05:08 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Yeah, I'm pretty upset too. What's worse is she's telling all these other moms who have no clue, and they're accepting her advice, even though I just posted a bunch of stuff about Florida law and what the AAP recommends. I don't know if I can be nice to her on Tuesday when we get together next...I don't know what else to tell her to get her to not do what she's doing.

February 8th, 2014, 08:56 AM
Mom2LillieAidan's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I could technically still have Lillie RFing even though she's 4, because she's not 40 pounds yet. But I will be RFing Aidan until he hits 40 pounds or turns two, whichever comes first, though I feel he'll hit the weight first. But I don't expect that to be until well after his first birthday. If I had a seat that RF longer, he would stay RFing.

#1, 4, 5, 7
February 8th, 2014, 09:06 AM
Joanne Nicole's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We have a two door car and it IS a pain in the butt getting him in and out. Enough of a pain that I almost never take him anywhere - I do everything on the weekends so that DH can watch him and I don't have to deal with getting him in and out. But I'd rather deal with something inconvenient than get into an accident and kill my baby because of my own laziness. She's risking her baby's life for convenience.
TeresaV likes this.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search