What are you reading?

Book Club

Discuss your favorite books, review books, and discussion of the monthly book.

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Book Club LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 16th, 2012, 12:16 PM
Still Trying for #1
I'm currently finishing up a book called "The Darkening Dream" and "The Hobbit". Unfortunetly I'm not able to get the current book of the month this month, but I plan to read it in the future.

What about you?

October 17th, 2012, 07:02 AM
avaught's Avatar mama to sweet 3 yr old
I love the Hobbit!

I just finished 50 shades of grey (which i read in literally 2 days.. all three books)

I also just finished A Thousand Splendid Suns. About muslim women. I work with mainly muslims so it was nice to peer inside their world.

I also just finished ( i like to take the bull by the horns when it comes to reading lol I will read 12 books at once and never lose my page) and I'm kinda embarassed to say this... but the book "My teenage dream ended" by farah abraham... she was one of the girls on Teen Mom and 16 and pregnant on MTV. I actually really liked it.

Thanks Tasha for my Blinkie!!
October 17th, 2012, 11:17 AM
alittlelost's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm reading The Kindness of Strangers right now.
October 17th, 2012, 11:46 AM
Still Trying for #1
Last night I started The Forever Girl: Sophia's Journey after I finished The Darkening Dream. The Darkening Dream certainly wasn't a favorite of mine.

October 18th, 2012, 04:52 PM
The Darkening Dream was on my to-read list. I love the cover. but if I'm being honest, I rarely connect with the writing of male writers. sometimes I do, though. What didn't you like about it? Maybe I should cross it off my way-too-long to-read list.
October 18th, 2012, 05:15 PM
Still Trying for #1
Well, I thought I would like it because it was old- school vampires, we're talking Nosferatu, but it was different than I expected.

There were several female characters that I would get mixed up and I couldn't follow along very well at certain moments. I think too many characters is not good for a book because they can't develop as the story develops.

There were many changes in POV. Not 1st or 3rd person, but switching around to follow a different character every chapter and there were like 60 chapters.
I'm a spiritual person, but there were a few religious references in the book that I didn't understand (they were Jewish references and I'm Christian). Maybe if there was a list of footnotes for these references it may have been easier to understand and the religious part of the book was an important element.

It was a complex book and did come together at the end, but I had a hard time getting interested. Once I finish a book though I have to finish it.

October 18th, 2012, 05:39 PM
I understand that. Those sound like valid concerns. I think all those POV switches would do me in also.
October 18th, 2012, 05:55 PM
Still Trying for #1
Think you will still read it?

October 19th, 2012, 01:04 AM
Frozenoj's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I am reading the book of the month, plus Magic Burns by Ilona Andrews and Intermusings by David Niall Wilson.

Thanks Bokkechick for my wonderful siggy!
TTC Blog
10-21-12
October 19th, 2012, 05:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsb1029 View Post
Think you will still read it?
Probably not. I have no problem reading something someone else doesn't like, but I generally don't like a lot of point of views. I've seen it done well before, but sometimes I feel like just skipping POVs and just reading 1 character.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search