When do you plan on telling your boss?

Forum: July 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To July 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 30th, 2012, 08:27 AM
Super Mommy
Assuming that you don't face any hazardous conditions at work, how long do you plan on waiting? I'd like to wait until at least January or February. I've only been full-time here for about 5 months. So, I'll have been here a year by the time I would have to take maternity leave. I'm sure my bosses won't be pleased. Fortunately, I work for the federal government so there are supposedly rules in place for what they can and can't do. However, I'm also the sole breadwinner in my house (by choice) and I can't lose this job.

"Shake it up now, Sugaree. I'll meet you at the Jubilee. And if that Jubilee don't come. Maybe I'll meet you on the run."
October 30th, 2012, 09:04 AM
BeachMum's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I don't have to worry about it this time, I became a full-time SAHM while pregnant with #4. I won't tell my kids until the 2nd trimester and after our doc appt.

October 30th, 2012, 11:24 AM
Krisnina's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I just took a huge promotion in September, so I am going to try to wait it out as long as possible.

October 30th, 2012, 12:30 PM
PrettyMommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My kids are the "boss", I'm a SAHM. The younger ones we don't plan to tell them until I start showing and they know something is different. Probably when we find out what we are having so they know it's a baby sis/brother. Probably wont tell the older ones until around then also. When i'm showing and just cant hide it anymore. We actually dont plan on telling anyone until then.

October 30th, 2012, 01:27 PM
tela's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm in the same boat. Started this job in June. Hoping to wait until Jan to tell my boss. I planned it so that I will have been there a year for FMLA, but I know they still won't be happy (even though they can't do anything about it). We'll see if I can hide it that long. I was showing with my loss by 8 weeks, so this might be tricky.
October 30th, 2012, 02:02 PM
Kiam's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I had to tell my direct boss immediately, because I usually do a storytime or baby rhyme time session a day, and due to morning sickness I needed to cut down on it, can't be running off the the bathroom in the middle of a story, haha.

After the 12 week point I will talk to my overall manager regarding maternity leave.

October 30th, 2012, 02:27 PM
Super Mommy
I started looking closely at our maternity leave policy today and found out that while I'm eligible for FMLA, I can only take sick leave for the amount of time that I'm under a doctor's care. I can not use sick leave to care for a newborn. I can use annual leave, but the most annual leave that can be accrued at any one time is 30 days. Kinda lame huh?

That being said, I think I can talk my doctor into waiting 6-8 weeks after birth to release me, so I'll end up with 11 of my 12 weeks being paid with leave of some sort with 23 hours of sick leave left for doctor's appointments.

That's the great thing about working for the government. There is a manual for everything and I dont have to bring attention to the fact that I'm pregnant or TTC by asking questions.

"Shake it up now, Sugaree. I'll meet you at the Jubilee. And if that Jubilee don't come. Maybe I'll meet you on the run."
October 30th, 2012, 07:42 PM
pearlica's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I work for the Government in Canada so I'm lucky enough to get a year off. I am the only person who does my job though so it will be a big deal when I tell them I'm pregnant. They will have to find a replacement for the year and the job is confusing so we will have to have some overlap to train the new person. But they know we wanted one more baby so it wont come as huge shock.
October 31st, 2012, 03:43 AM
Kiam's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Another government employee who looked through the policy manual in advance

I can take up a year off, but only 13 weeks of it will be paid (tax-free though, and at my regular rate, so that is cool) I can cash in all my annual leave if I choose too. We'll see how we go at the time.

We've worked out that I can take 6 months, and with my 13 weeks pay plus the baby bonus we will be fine.

October 31st, 2012, 04:29 AM
MarchMom2007's Avatar Sticky baby wanted!
I ended up telling my boss on Monday. I was late going in due to an appointment to get my pregnancy confirmed, and then I had to go to another one to have my blood drawn that same day and I knew I was going to be heading to another one today, so I figured he would wonder what on earth is going on. They are extremely family friendly there though, and would also be very supportive if the worst happens.

I am pretty sure I will be taking three months off after the baby is born and then bringing my little one to work with me for the next three months at least. I work in a warehouse for a natural toy company and many employees have brought their babies to work with them in the past.

Cautiously expecting a little one sometime in June, and always remembering my 5 little ones that left too soon.
October 31st, 2012, 08:57 AM
pearlica's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarchMom2007 View Post
I ended up telling my boss on Monday. I was late going in due to an appointment to get my pregnancy confirmed, and then I had to go to another one to have my blood drawn that same day and I knew I was going to be heading to another one today, so I figured he would wonder what on earth is going on. They are extremely family friendly there though, and would also be very supportive if the worst happens.

I am pretty sure I will be taking three months off after the baby is born and then bringing my little one to work with me for the next three months at least. I work in a warehouse for a natural toy company and many employees have brought their babies to work with them in the past.
Thats an awesome option!!
November 1st, 2012, 02:11 PM
Regular
I am a teacher so I don't really need to worry about when the baby is born. I don't get any paid maternity leave but I can take a whole year off using my sick time and being unpaid.

We are very seriously considering me taking 6 weeks or so in the Fall. I will tell my boss in the 2nd trimester so they have plenty of time to get me a long-term sub for the Fall and that i can be involved in the process of choosing.
November 4th, 2012, 01:56 PM
MissesDavis's Avatar Army Girl
I've already texted my direct NCO (boss directly over me). He's keeping it hush hush until I got to the Soldier Medical Center and get a blood test done, so it's official. Then he will tell my platoon SGT the news and counsel me. That is where he explains to me all my options. I can get out of the Army if I wanted to but I don't. I actually plan on reenlisting in January. Traditionally you get 40 days of paid leave starting the day the baby is born. Then I'll return to work.
November 4th, 2012, 03:33 PM
TerriLF's Avatar Super Mommy
I plan to wait until January if I I'm not showing too much. It will be cold so I can wear sweaters and things like that. If I start showing or having a lot of morning sickness, I will tell my big boss and direct boss, but no one else until after Christmas. I'm sure they will act supportive, but will secretly be not pleased with this...
November 7th, 2012, 11:47 AM
Shea131's Avatar Peyton Rylee's Mommy!!
I'll wait as long as I can!

Thank you Quantum_Leap for my fabulous signature!!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search