Pregnancy No Nos

Forum: July 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree12Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To July 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 1st, 2012, 08:41 AM
The Lesha's Avatar Avada Kedavra
Send a message via Yahoo to The Lesha
Those who have children, were there any things you were told not to do during pg that you did anyway? (i.e. eat raw deli meat, drink coke..etc..)

and those first timers, what are some things you've sworn off for your pregnancy?

Thank you *Kiliki* for my gorgeous siggie!
November 1st, 2012, 08:47 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I'm a major Coke addict. With Nathaniel, I drank a ton of Mountain Dew. But this time around, I'm trying to keep myself away from soda as much as possible. I have had a Coke a few times this week but I do that to prevent huge migraines, since I'm already getting a lot of little headaches from pregnancy anyway.

Otherwise, I keep pretty "kosher" as far as pregnancy no-nos are concerned. But I've broken the deli meat thing in the past.

November 1st, 2012, 08:52 AM
Mandamail88's Avatar Super Mommy
I love this thread Thanks

I am a first time mom

When we started trying in August, I gave up my heating pad, caffeine, limited my Artificial sweeteners, gave up pop (I only ever drank diet and wanted to not intake Aspartame when we got pregnant), and stopped eating tuna. I wanted to not have to quit eating/drinking/taking anything when we actually got pregnant
The Lesha likes this.

Adam & Amanda
Our First
July 8, 2013

November 1st, 2012, 08:54 AM
chessalove's Avatar Love my little family
I swore off caffeine, alcohol, over the counter drugs, and nail polish. I'm saying I'll swear off sugar but I'll allow myself ice cream when I really crave a treat. So far so good, but I've only been positive for a week, so we'll see. I said when we were TTC that I would swear off fast food, but I KNOW I am going to fail at that. Hubby and I are two single 20 somethings and we LOVE going out to eat. ALSO, I have not hit my sickness, cravings, or aversions phase yet, so I'm sure I'll eat my words at some point. "A" for effort??? LOL

I'm being paranoid about other stuff though. I wear gloves when I change my catbox, I use napkins to open doors and stuff at work, I stand far away from the microwave. Yesterday I wrote a reminder on my hand in pen, then insanely scrubbed it off because I thought I would give my baby ink poisoning. HA!

I'm excited to see what other people say.
November 1st, 2012, 08:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessalove View Post
I swore off caffeine, alcohol, over the counter drugs, and nail polish. I'm saying I'll swear off sugar but I'll allow myself ice cream when I really crave a treat. So far so good, but I've only been positive for a week, so we'll see. I said when we were TTC that I would swear off fast food, but I KNOW I am going to fail at that. Hubby and I are two single 20 somethings and we LOVE going out to eat. ALSO, I have not hit my sickness, cravings, or aversions phase yet, so I'm sure I'll eat my words at some point. "A" for effort??? LOL

I'm being paranoid about other stuff though. I wear gloves when I change my catbox, I use napkins to open doors and stuff at work, I stand far away from the microwave. Yesterday I wrote a reminder on my hand in pen, then insanely scrubbed it off because I thought I would give my baby ink poisoning. HA!

I'm excited to see what other people say.
I liked your post so much LOL

The ink poisoning thing would so be something I would do
chessalove likes this.

Adam & Amanda
Our First
July 8, 2013

November 1st, 2012, 09:05 AM
Veteran
With my first pregnancy, I was the picture of a "rule follower." No caffeine, no sushi, no deli meat, no... anything. lol

In second pregnancy, I relaxed enough to allow myself a cup of tea some mornings. I also had a few sips of wine at a wedding. Still no sushi and deli meat, though.

Will do the same thing this time around. Cup of tea sometimes, a sip or two of wine at a wedding I am attending during this pregnancy. Otherwise, will probably follow the "rules."
November 1st, 2012, 09:06 AM
Probably a really stupid one, but I can't bring myself to take my normal super hot showers...I'm afraid I'll get the baby too hot. LOL

DH says this is really stupid, but I have been taking luke warm showers....

Adam & Amanda
Our First
July 8, 2013

November 1st, 2012, 09:23 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Ha, I'm not kosher at all compared to you guys!

November 1st, 2012, 09:25 AM
Regular
I am on decaf coffee - - no fun but don't want the caffeine. I will avoid aspartame completely even though I love my diet dr pepper. I am going to be the queen of water this time!

I was obsessed with Italian Hoagies with pregnancy #1 - - hope not this time. I always felt guilty eating the lunchmeat but I craved it more than anything!

I gained 45 pounds with my son and cannot do the same with this one. I have really bad knees and need to keep the weight down.
November 1st, 2012, 10:22 AM
.:fearless:.'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I drink about a quart of whiskey a day, smoke a couple packs of cigarettes and paint in closed rooms

I kid

Literally, this is my 6th pregnancy and I hadn't heard of the soft serve rule or the deli meat rule until my May 2012 DDC lol. I'm a laid back pregnant person, I'll eat soft serve and some meats and I still drink diet dew and a coffee now and again. I've had 4 healthy babies (a loss at 5 weeks), including a baby born at 34 weeks weighing 6lbs. I use common sense and I don't put myself in a bubble.
November 1st, 2012, 11:04 AM
lhug_nar's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to lhug_nar Send a message via MSN to lhug_nar Send a message via Yahoo to lhug_nar
This is my 4th and I'm like .:fearless:. I don't put myself in a bubble. I'm really laid back. I eat soft serve, deli meats, drink caffeine, and I've had 3 healthy babies (oldest was a 26 weeker but there were other issues that caused that).
.:fearless:. likes this.
November 1st, 2012, 12:17 PM
*Kiliki*'s Avatar i have absolute power
well with raianna i was a caffeine addict (mountain dew to be exact)...i ate lunch meat...etc etc...i never put myself into a bubble...cept when it came to drinking/smoking never did that...but everything else? ehhh and i hve 3 heathy kids
Request Siggy Here SEE GALLERY HERE Request Banner Siggy Here

November 1st, 2012, 12:18 PM
chessalove's Avatar Love my little family
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandamail88 View Post
I liked your post so much LOL

The ink poisoning thing would so be something I would do

yay to first-time mommy paranoia
November 1st, 2012, 02:34 PM
BeachMum's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I just don't drink caffeine and if I do, it's very little. I eat deli meat but usually don't want it and if I do, I heat it up. I'm not a drinker or smoker, so that's not an issue. I also eat fish in moderation.

Last edited by BeachMum; November 4th, 2012 at 06:28 AM.
November 1st, 2012, 02:38 PM
Kiam's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Most I don't have a problem with, I'm intolerant to red meat and poultry so I never eat deli meat anyway. I'm also lactose intolerant so I wouldn't touch soft serve with a 10 foot pole, that thing does terrible things to my stomach. Oh and I quit smoking years ago, so that's not really a problem.

Sushi is my hard one, I have gotten food poisoning off it in the past so with that experience behind me I just cannot rationalise risking it in my mind.

Alcohol absolutely not, I have worked with kids with FAS and for me it's not worth the risk.

I cut down on caffeine for IVF and not missing it, I have a cup of tea twice or so a week, but other than that I just don't feel any want for it.

Can someone explain the tuna thing to me? Tuna is on the list of "highly advised to eat seafood" from both my IVF doctor and the hospital I booked into's info pack because it is so low in mercury.

November 1st, 2012, 03:00 PM
Regular
I hate tuna, so that's an easy one. I also don't like soft cheeses much. Lunch meat is a challenge just because I ALWAYS pack a sandwich for lunch. I'm struggling a little to figure out what to pack. And caffeine is a problem too. I'm restricting myself to one caffeinated beverage a day... so far, so good!
November 1st, 2012, 03:53 PM
Super Mommy
I've been trying very hard to eat healthier but I'm not well-disciplined in terms of cutting out certain foods from my diet. I used to be a massive coffee drinker but about 6 months before the pregnancy I managed to reduce my intake to one small coffee a day. When I found out about the pregnancy, I tried to cut it out completely. It's not a big deal when it's the weekend and I'm at home, but something about being at the office and sitting at my desk without my morning coffee makes me go insane. I usually end up caving in and getting my cup of coffee anyways. Most of the literature seems to indicate that just one cup a day is okay.
November 1st, 2012, 07:45 PM
pearlica's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm pretty relaxed as is my Dr. His advice was everything in moderation. Reduce caffeine (1-2 small cups is ok) and dont eat deli-meat every day but if you have a sandwich every once in a while its nothing to freak out about (his words)

I eat sushi but I only like mine with shrimp and they are cooked. I'm not a tuna fan. I dont drink alcohol while pregnant because when I do drink I like to get a bit buzzed so I would rather not just have a few sips but I think its no problem for those who chose to have a glass of wine.

I eat hotdogs and rare steaks, but not often and I make sure the hotdogs are cooked well. I dont think I like any of the cheeses that are on the no-go list. I dont take any pain medications while pregnant.

Hmmm...I think thats it.

When I'm not pregnant I drive my husband nuts because I eat things past their expiry or food thats been left out (its only a guideline I say...lol). But when I'm pregnant I'm careful about not eating things that are too sketchy In my defense my husband gets sick all the time and I'm known for my immune system of steel...I always joke that I've built it up over time eating all the suspect things that I do!
November 1st, 2012, 08:06 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Hi ladies
Caffeine is my difficult one. I cut down from 3 to 1 (cup per day) when we started trying. I believe i could live without the other no-no's. What's the soft serve problem?
November 1st, 2012, 08:17 PM
Regular
Coffee is my vice, but with each pregnancy I wean myself down from regular to 1/2 caff, and eventually to decaf. I used to drink a lot of pop too, but over the past few years we've kicked that habit in our house, and now we don't buy it at all..so no issues there. I'm not a huge seafood eater in general, so no worries there. I don't even know what this "soft serve" rule is. Please educate me. As for deli meat... meh, here and there, not often, so I'm sure it's not a big deal.

This is pregnancy #6, baby #4...I was much more "bubble-wrapped" during my first couple of pregnancies.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search