Dinners

Forum: July 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To July 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 2nd, 2012, 09:03 AM
Expecting #1 July 2013 <3
Hey ladies!
Do any of you have any easy/healthy dinner recipes to share? Lately like most of you I'm sure, I have had NO energy by the time I get home to cook! Any kind of casserol or anything that can be prepared ahead of time would be AWESOME!

Thank you!

November 2nd, 2012, 09:14 AM
Veteran
I am the queen of easy dinners, mostly because I am a lazy cook. I also hate dishes. lol

One of my favorites lately has been hobo packs. I can make them ahead of time, toss them in the oven an hour before we want to eat, and they're ready to go with no dishes and no mess. I make all kinds... salmon & veggies, beef & veggies, chicken & veggies. You can throw in potatoes and onions, too. Different seasonings can be used to make different flavors. I spoon cream of "whatever" soup or sprinkle a gravy packet into my hubby's because he prefers his packs gravy-like. Mine I leave plain with just herbs/spices.

The slow cooker is a lifesaver, too. I roast chicken or beef roasts in it, make stews and soups, etc. Great for a one-pot meal.

Casseroles generally follow this formula: Protein + Veggie + Starch + Binder. And the binder is typically a white sauce, often with cheese. I've done all kinds. Chicken, peas, rice and white sauce with cheese. Beef, mushrooms, tater tots, and white sauce with cheese. I don't eat casseroles anymore these days, but hubby and kids love them, so I still make them occasionally. A standard white sauce in casseroles is cream of mushroom/chicken soup, but I don't like all the preservatives in canned soup. I make my own white sauce with either milk+butter+flour, or I use a dry mix that I make myself from dry milk, cornstarch, and herbs.

Breakfast casserole is another favorite around here. I have backyard chickens, so we always have eggs. It's basically a crustless quiche (quiche being another great make-ahead one-dish meal). Cooked meat (bacon or sausage), hashbrowns or shredded potatoes, eggs, milk, seasonings, cheese. I throw it all in a casserole dish and bake until done.

With my first two pregnancies, I got way into freezer meals. I made a TON of stuff to freeze so meals would be easy after baby came. You can do this now and it can help for dinner. Lasagna (pre-cooked) freezes well. I have a mac & cheese recipe that freezes (pre-cooked) like a dream. Twice baked potatoes freeze nicely, as do most soups, stews, meatballs and meatloaves, and casseroles.
November 2nd, 2012, 09:45 AM
.:fearless:.'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Look up the blog of crockpot cooking 365 days. I forget the name of it though and it's bookmarked on my pc that's broke.
November 2nd, 2012, 03:15 PM
Kiam's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Another one saying crockpot/slow cooker. It's my best friend during the working week.

November 2nd, 2012, 06:11 PM
The Lesha's Avatar Avada Kedavra
Send a message via Yahoo to The Lesha
my all time best trick is...

bbq pork roast.

rub pork with reg yellow mustard, sprinkle on bbq seasoning, covering the entire roast. wrap in foil. you can leave it in the frige over night or just toss it in the oven in a casserole dish. cook at 250-300 for as many hrs as you wish.

i throw it in at 8am and its falling apart perfectly by 4.

you can do bbq chicken the same way.

dont let the mustard fool you, it makes the meal moist, you can not taste it at all.

Thank you *Kiliki* for my gorgeous siggie!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search