Vbac

Forum: July 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By TerriLF
  • 2 Post By Blondeamb01
  • 2 Post By babieseverywhere
  • 1 Post By DaniB+4

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To July 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 8th, 2012, 10:00 AM
-erin-'s Avatar Co-Host of the May2010 PR
Anyone going to have a VBAC?

I ended up with a c-section for my daughter, and I'm very undecided about if I want a repeat c-section or a VBAC. My c-section was because her heart rate wasn't doing well, which they think was due to a knot in her cord that we didn't know about until she was born. My recovery was incredibly easy and I didn't have any problems with it. A VBAC scares me a bit because it's the unknown, but I also think it's better for the baby... We recently moved here so I don't have an OB yet. I've heard most won't do VBACs so my dr choices would be limited if I wanted to consider VBAC.

November 8th, 2012, 10:14 AM
MeggysMommy's Avatar 3 + 1
I'm on the fence about a vbac. I know my hospital changed their policy this month and will allow them. My doc said when I delivered Megan that my next baby if he/she were head down I could try for it. I delivered Megan via c/section because she was breech and I have a unicornate uterus which made an external version not an ideal option.

November 8th, 2012, 10:53 AM
TerriLF's Avatar Super Mommy
Nope. I LOVED my csection. I had a vaginal first birth and then my 2nd was breach so I had to have a planned csection. The recovery was SO much better for me. I loved being able to use the bathroom without crying in pain. :-) I also didn't bleed as long after. The first few days getting out of my bed were really hard but I listened to my doc when she told me FORCE yourself to get out of bed. It will feel like your about to die but you will recover so much faster and it was true. I got out of bed every 2 hours and walked one lap around my floor. It sucked but by the time I left the hospital in like 3 days I think..I was doing sooo much better.
Karenna likes this.
November 8th, 2012, 11:06 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I tried for a VBAC with my daughter with no success since my cervix doesn't dilate, no matter how many contractions I have. I contracted from 32 weeks to my c-section date and never dilated a centimeter. I had pretty strong, steady contractions based on the machine they had hooked up to me, but they didn't do anything. So I won't be trying again, but only because my particular case makes it pretty much impossible. But I'm more positive about my c-section this time, rather than last time since I was still traumatized from my son's birth. Norah's birth was so much better, even if recovery is hell.

However, I'd definitely suggest talking to your doctor about it. They can tell you if you are a good candidate for it.

November 8th, 2012, 12:16 PM
Veteran
After 3 losses I couldn't give two you know what's less about HOW I deliver.

With that said, I ad a c-section and wasn't terrible.

I was told if I wanted a vbac there are some rules:
1) you can't be induced
2) if you develop GD or PE or simple high BP, game over.
3) there is an increased risk for placental and uterin issues ith a vbac. Only 1% but still. Can you imagine...?

When I had my DD I remember the nurse telling me that you're gonna be in pain either way. Either standing up or sitting down. Haha.

With that said, if you have a vbac I say more power to ya... But there are rules and risks... As with anything, I guess. Good luck though. I'm sorry your first section wasn't very good. After 22 hours in labor and 2 hours of pushing I was done! Where do I sign...?
Karenna and stephc71885 like this.
DD- 3 years old

Ttc #2 since 2010

IUi w/donor sperm #1- BFP!!
DD Born April 2009

Jan 2010 - IUI #2 - BFP!!
Blighted ovum 8 weeks

2010-2011- IUIs 3,4,5,6= BFN

October 2011- IUI #7- clomid- BFP!
Chemical @ 5 weeks

May 2012- IUI #8- BFP!
Chemical @ 4 weeks

On to IVF!

7/20/12- start stims
8/1/12- ER - 20 eggs- 14-15 mature
13 fertilized!
8/5/12- ET 2, Grade A fully expanded blasts. 6 to freeze!!!!!
BFN!!

October 2012- FET cycle.
Transferred 2 embryos

BFP @ 3.75dp5dt!!

Waiting for beta #1 ....

November 8th, 2012, 02:03 PM
pearlica's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I would love to try for a VBAC and my Dr. is supportive of that. That being said my labour had a lot of complications and I ended up having to be put right out when Tegan was delivered so who knows how things will go this time!
November 8th, 2012, 02:17 PM
MeggysMommy's Avatar 3 + 1
I had a great recovery from my c/section. I didn't get to walk for 24hrs after though because of the mag sulfate. Right when they started my section my spinal didn't work so I freaked when I was put under and that was scary in itself. So I'm afraid of that happening again but I'm also afraid of contractions to be honest. Never had any with Megan's pregnancy.

November 8th, 2012, 02:45 PM
Amber76's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Amber76
I was scared out of a VBAC from one of the Dr's in my practice. (She is now gone) I regret not trying for it. That said, my c sections weren't bad. I am assuming they won't let me do a VBA2C but I am going to ask.

Katerina 01/10/07 Gabriella 12/29/09 2012 2013
November 8th, 2012, 02:54 PM
Veteran
My first I had third degree tearing and was in horrible pain for months. So with my second I had a planned c-section. Recovery was so much easier. I will definitely do c-section again.

My best friend had an emergency c-section with her first. For her second, she had a vbac at home with a midwife. She definitely preferred the vbac.

So I say it's all about personal preference.
November 8th, 2012, 02:59 PM
DaniB+4's Avatar Super Moderator
I had a really traumatic emergency c-section with serious complications when I gave birth to the twins back in 2003 so I opted for a VBAC trial of labor with my son. I pulled out ALL of the stops to prepare for it. I transferred to a pretty crunchy midwife practice that had privileges at a VBAC-friendly hospital that is an hour from my house (my other hospital is maybe 15 minutes away but has a crap VBAC rate and no midwives on staff), I hired a doula, I did tons of educational preparation for a non-medicated birth, etc etc. But alas, nature had other plans. I ended up being 2 weeks overdue and at my very last NST we found out that my post-term kiddo had no fluid left in his sac so they decided to conservatively induce me with Pitocin. My induction was MUCH better than the one I tried with the twins but after 27 1/2 hours of labor I didn't dilate beyond 3 cm and towards the end my cervix actually started to swell shut (worst. pain. ever.) so I had yet another c-section.

Was I disappointed? Yes. However, I think I did everything that I possibly could to facilitate a successful VBAC but it was not in the cards for me. Plus, my son was 10 pounds & 23 inches long. I know women my size (5'3" and small pelvis/frame) can push out babies that big but I, frankly, wouldn't want to. He would've torn me to shreds, I think. I've never given birth vaginally but I feel like I would rather recover from an abdominal incision than a bad vaginal tear or episiotomy. Meanwhile, I had a MUCH better c-section the second time around. I was awake, I heard/saw my son right away, I didn't have any complications, and I was well enough to successfully breastfeed. It was really the best possible outcome given the circumstances.

This time around I will be having a planned c-section. Since my last surgical birth was less than 2 years ago and I've had two failed TOLs due to failure to dilate I would not be a good candidate for a VBA2C. I don't love the fact that my body sucks at giving birth the normal way but I am glad that I at least know what to expect this time around. No guesswork!

Thank you, *sharon*, for my siggy!

November 8th, 2012, 03:03 PM
lhug_nar's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to lhug_nar Send a message via MSN to lhug_nar Send a message via Yahoo to lhug_nar
I'll be having my 2nd VBAC. My first VBAC was really long but I was fortunate enough that the doc that I had was very patient and totally VBAC friendly! I'll be using him again for this pregnancy!
November 8th, 2012, 03:05 PM
Veteran
Baby #1: My BP went through the roof, they induced me and after 36 hours of labor, nothing was happening.

Baby #2: Wanted to VBAC Went into labor on my own at 39 weeks and 2 days. Her heart rate was looking bad on the monitor with every contraction, we went back to c-section.

Baby #3: Switched MD's at 30 weeks so that I could VBA2C, at 40 weeks my new doc said that my cervix wasn't doing anything, the chances of me being successful were 0, and I should just get my c-section. Glad I did, the cord was wrapped around his neck twice.

Current baby: as much as I want to be stubborn and try a VBA3C, I don't want to go back to the doc I saw for the last part of my pregnancy last time, (and I've done my research, he's the only doc that would do it). The statistics show that VBA3C is possible, but current policy and procedure makes it very difficult for mom's to do this. After a few days of thought when I first learned I was pregnant, I decided to go back to the OB that I liked that won't do a vbac, and have a healthy happy pregnancy knowing that I can choose baby's birthday and everything will be fine in the long run.
DaniB+4 and Karenna like this.
November 8th, 2012, 03:45 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniB+3 View Post
I had a really traumatic emergency c-section with serious complications when I gave birth to the twins back in 2003 so I opted for a VBAC trial of labor with my son. I pulled out ALL of the stops to prepare for it. I transferred to a pretty crunchy midwife practice that had privileges at a VBAC-friendly hospital that is an hour from my house (my other hospital is maybe 15 minutes away but has a crap VBAC rate and no midwives on staff), I hired a doula, I did tons of educational preparation for a non-medicated birth, etc etc. But alas, nature had other plans. I ended up being 2 weeks overdue and at my very last NST we found out that my post-term kiddo had no fluid left in his sac so they decided to conservatively induce me with Pitocin. My induction was MUCH better than the one I tried with the twins but after 27 1/2 hours of labor I didn't dilate beyond 3 cm and towards the end my cervix actually started to swell shut (worst. pain. ever.) so I had yet another c-section.

Was I disappointed? Yes. However, I think I did everything that I possibly could to facilitate a successful VBAC but it was not in the cards for me. Plus, my son was 10 pounds & 23 inches long. I know women my size (5'3" and small pelvis/frame) can push out babies that big but I, frankly, wouldn't want to. He would've torn me to shreds, I think. I've never given birth vaginally but I feel like I would rather recover from an abdominal incision than a bad vaginal tear or episiotomy. Meanwhile, I had a MUCH better c-section the second time around. I was awake, I heard/saw my son right away, I didn't have any complications, and I was well enough to successfully breastfeed. It was really the best possible outcome given the circumstances.

This time around I will be having a planned c-section. Since my last surgical birth was less than 2 years ago and I've had two failed TOLs due to failure to dilate I would not be a good candidate for a VBA2C. I don't love the fact that my body sucks at giving birth the normal way but I am glad that I at least know what to expect this time around. No guesswork!
Ugh, failing a VBAC is one of the worst feelings in the world. I sobbed in my midwife's office when she said I'd probably not be able to ever deliver vaginally. Luckily Norah's birth was so much better than Nathaniel's, so I am completely happy with my decision to have another c-section.

Huh, two Danis whose cervixes can't dilate...what are the odds? lol

November 9th, 2012, 05:51 AM
-erin-'s Avatar Co-Host of the May2010 PR
I guess I don't even know if I'd be a good VBAC candidate. I was induced with my daughter 1 1/2 weeks after my due date, never even started dilating on my own. I'm leaning more towards repeat c-section since that is my experience and what I'm more comfortable with, but I'm not sure about totally counting out VBAC.

November 9th, 2012, 11:02 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by -erin- View Post
I guess I don't even know if I'd be a good VBAC candidate. I was induced with my daughter 1 1/2 weeks after my due date, never even started dilating on my own. I'm leaning more towards repeat c-section since that is my experience and what I'm more comfortable with, but I'm not sure about totally counting out VBAC.
At the very least, you can plan for a VBAC and prepare yourself for it if you want to try it. If it doesn't seem like the cards are in your favor as you approach your due date, you can always schedule a c-section. You have a long time before you can even be sure that you could get a VBAC so don't stress yourself out this early in the game. I did and it absolutely broke my heart to not get a VBAC.

I do think it is important to go after what you want, so if you want to deliver vaginally, then it is important that you try for it. However, if you are just wanting to keep your options open, just talk to your OB about it and tell them that you aren't sure what you want. You have a while before you have to decide.

November 9th, 2012, 11:06 AM
DaniB+4's Avatar Super Moderator
Quote:
Ugh, failing a VBAC is one of the worst feelings in the world. I sobbed in my midwife's office when she said I'd probably not be able to ever deliver vaginally. Luckily Norah's birth was so much better than Nathaniel's, so I am completely happy with my decision to have another c-section.

Huh, two Danis whose cervixes can't dilate...what are the odds? lol
What are the odds?! I, too, was really sad about the whole experience at first because I felt like I was robbed of my right to birth the natural way. But I made peace with it because even though I didn't get the result I wanted, my son's birth still healed a lot of emotional baggage that I had left over from my twins' birth, and I think that was all I ever really wanted in the first place. The OB that did my second c-section said that often times failure to dilate is a hereditary problem, and in my case my mom had two c-sections due to FTD and then one planned one, so I guess I am just following in the family footsteps . And, to look at it in optimistic terms, I am grateful to have a cervix that stays CLOSED. Too many women have devastating problems due to early dilation and incompetent cervix. I'll take my cervix of steel any day.

Quote:
You do whatever makes YOU comfortable. I am still very, very pro-VBAC even though it did not work out for me. While I was doing all of my research and education to prepare for my VBAC I met tons of women who have done it successfully. At the end of the day, a c-section IS major surgery so vaginal birth is always going to be safer for you and your baby barring any special complications. But ultimately it's a very personal choice and you shouldn't let anyone sway your decision .
LessthanThree likes this.

Thank you, *sharon*, for my siggy!

November 9th, 2012, 07:45 PM
Kiwi_Love's Avatar Veteran
I had a c-section at exactly 40 weeks after a "failed to progress" induction. I dilated to 6 cm but only made it to 70% effaced and the pain was horrible with an epidural. So the decision was made to proceed with a c-section because of my body and apparently she was too broad shouldered to fit. At least thats what I was told. Oh and I was induced because I was GD.

The c-section recovery wasn't bad at all. I'd still like to try a VBAC this time. I have an appt with the doctor on 12/17 so i'll talk to her about it then. I'm hoping I dont have GD again but considering I didn't lose much of the last pregnancy weight I'm kinda doubtful.

November 9th, 2012, 09:01 PM
LittleMomma09's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I will be having a scheduled c-section. My doctor refuses to do a VBAC. I am okay with that though.

November 10th, 2012, 08:06 AM
slmehaffey's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Maybe it is because I'm a doula and very pro-natural, or maybe it is because I had the worst section in the world, I FELT them cut me, but there is no way I'm going to deliver my next child into the hands of a surgeon unless it is absolutely necessary.

That being said, you all have to deal with your own births, and the way you handle them emotionally is very important, I'm glad that you can come to terms with a section birth. i would urge you to look at the risks of having multiple c-sections though if that is what you are considering. I'm not trying to be rude or pushy in any way, but it seems that doctors don't stop singing about how risky a VBAC is, but they don't tell us much about the risks of a c-section.
I have two links for you, and please please don't think I'm trying to be pushy about this, or make you feel like you are wrong for choosing or feeling the way you do about a C-section... I think feeling good about your birth is 50% of what you need to experience a good birth.
the first link is about c-section risks, the second is about cervical scar tissue, which may be why a few of you didn't dialate in previous births.
The Risks of Cesarean Section - C-section Risks
Cervical Scar Tissue

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search