Home birth?

Forum: July 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree9Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To July 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 9th, 2012, 09:12 PM
Super Mommy
This question might have been asked before but I didn't see a thread about it. Is anyone planning on having a home birth? I had a hospital birth with my first. I was induced but everything went perfectly fine after the epidural. With my second he was breech and I really didn't want to have a c-section which is mandatory in a hospital. Anyway, so I met with a very trusted midwife, who has delivered 5 of my nephews and many friends babies, I settled for a home birth. He turned at 39 weeks. I did the home birth anyway and it was awesome. Everything went smoothly up until the last hour. Omg the pain! I started hyperventilating and they had to give me oxygen. I guess I didn't have such an intense transition time with my first. The pain has been stuck in my head since and I think I've convinced myself that I can't do another home birth. I loved being able to labor in the privacy of my home and I was able to get some pressure taken off by laboring in the birthing tub. I also liked that my husband was more involved. We were left alone pretty much the entire time except for when she would check me then shed slip back out.
I still haven't made a for sure decision but wondered who else has had one and their experiences.

November 10th, 2012, 04:38 AM
BeachMum's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I haven't had one but would LOVE one. However, unless we move, I don't know if we could have one. My last birth was med free in the hospital and it was GREAT. My OB used to practice under a midwife so I'm super excited to have her.

November 10th, 2012, 06:17 AM
slmehaffey's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My first was induced because my water broke and I was stupid and went straight to the hospital (I didn't know that unprovoked a labor can start on its own up to 48 hours later safely so long as you don't introduce anything to cause infection) but my midwife let me wait as long as I wanted under the 24 hour line, I had already been dialated to 5-6 at that point and she told me that if I wanted to start pitocin at night my body would probably work better with it... so we did, he was born without pain meds 7 hours after starting pit. I was happy with his birth
My daughter was 'late' according to the midwife, early according to me, they did NST's and said that she had high fluid levels and a long cord and that I was contracting (typical for me since that is what I did with my son for weeks before he was born) they wouldn't let me go home, forced me to have my membranes stripped every two hours and when i 'stalled' out at 9cm 90% effaced they forced me to have my water broken... really I just wanted to go to sleep and start again in the morning, I was still contracting, just not changing my cervix. Anyway water broke, gushed all over the place, cord prolapsed, emergent c-section.
If I get a BFP this week I'm going for a Home VBAC. I will have a midwife, and doula, and someone to help watch my kids, and I will birth my baby without being treated like an idiot for my whole pregnancy and forced into doing things I don't want to do.
If you want to have a home birth you should consider getting a doula. she will be able to help you get through the pain hopefully without hyperventilaing, and you'll probably learn some things about how to handle any kind of stress from her... doulas are awesome! I didn't have one for either of my births and I wish that i had for my second, I wouldn't have let them do all that they did to me if I had someone there who understood what I wanted out of my birth.
November 10th, 2012, 07:31 AM
Shea131's Avatar Peyton Rylee's Mommy!!
No home birth for me. I want my epidural and I really like my ob.
tela, LeslieRN72 and MeggysMommy like this.

Thank you Quantum_Leap for my fabulous signature!!!
November 10th, 2012, 07:57 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Not for me, I like my drugs too much
tela and LeslieRN72 like this.

7/24/12
10/09/12
November 10th, 2012, 08:29 AM
tela's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Ditto the 2 PP! I love my OBs, hospitals, and epidurals!
LeslieRN72 likes this.
November 10th, 2012, 09:59 AM
Regular
Doesn't a home birth hurt?

Honestly - - I am so impressed with the super moms that can give birth at home - -I, however, have already ordered my epidural.

We have an amazing women's center at my local hospital - nationally renowned. I had an extraordinarily wonderful birth there with my son and plan to do the same for this little one.

Our little firecracker is due on the 4th of July!
November 10th, 2012, 11:31 AM
DaniB+3's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I considered homebirth with my son because I was worried that I wouldn't get a fair shake at a VBAC in a hospital but the OOP costs for the homebirth midwifery practice was just too far out of our budget at that time. And in retrospect I am thankful that I didn't go for it, only because I ended up having issues with dilating even in a really great hospital environment so ultimately I would've wasted a lot of time and money on something that likely wouldn't have happened anyway. But best of luck to you - I know several homebirthing mamas and they've all raved about their experiences, too!

Thank you, *sharon*, for my siggy!

November 10th, 2012, 11:48 AM
PrettyMommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I contemplated a home birth but hubby wouldn't hear of it. He insist on being in a hospital in case there is an issue. Our son was 6 weeks premature and I did have a few problems including a fever and some excessive bleeding. And honestly I do like my epidural. I'm sure I could do it with no med since each time I had the epi I could still feel some sort of pain but why forego it if I don't have to. Plus the hospital I use is great and I do like my doc, even though her recent shenanigans are making me question her a bit. I have so much respect for those of you who do it though.

November 10th, 2012, 12:29 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I am considering it as it would be my first birth! But I'm so concerned about m/c right now (had one last year) that I am not going to make any plans until 3 trimester
November 10th, 2012, 02:32 PM
lhug_nar's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to lhug_nar Send a message via MSN to lhug_nar Send a message via Yahoo to lhug_nar
We are considering trying a home birth again. I tried for an Home VBAC with DS3 but after 18 hours of laboring at home, we went to the hospital for pain management. I will probably labor at home until I can't stand it anymore and go to the hospital... If that means I have a home birth, then we have a home birth.
November 10th, 2012, 07:06 PM
LilSunshine's Avatar ♥ Super Moderator ♥
I don't really think a home birth is in my future with the complications I had with ds. I'm perfectly fine with having a baby in a hospital, I think it's all a personal preference.

September 2009 @ 6 weeks May 2011 @ 11 weeks
November 10th, 2012, 09:56 PM
Kiam's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Certainly not for me. I like modern medicine way too much.
LeslieRN72 likes this.

November 10th, 2012, 11:25 PM
LittleMomma09's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I will be going to the hospital. No home birth in my future plans.

November 11th, 2012, 01:27 AM
Veteran
If you really want to give birth at your home, make sure that all your test result is okay, your baby's position seen in the ultrasound is not breech, and you don't feel any sickness or anything that's not normal. God bless!
November 12th, 2012, 07:41 AM
crash's Avatar Veteran
I wanted to do a home birth with my second pregnancy, but the home birth midwife was unwilling because i had tachycardia and was positive for Strep b.. however, turns out it was good because I hemorrhaged after he was born, and if I was at home I would have either died or been sent to the hospital immediately... then that would have defeated the purpose of the home birth.
I did have a completely natural birth at the hospital, though. No meds, a doula, big tub offered, I took a shower and labored in whatever position i wanted.
I saw a couple options for my natural birth:
1. Find an OB or nurse midwife willing to offer a completely natural birth in a hospital or birth center,
2. Home birth.

I told my ob i wanted to be in the hospital for as little time as possible. I was there from 12:30AM to 7:30PM. I went home that night.

I hope to go home same day again, but if I have time for an epidural, i'm going to get it....I think.
November 12th, 2012, 12:15 PM
chessalove's Avatar Love my little family
I wanted to do a home birth because I am demanding a water birth! But after researching my area, it looks like they have birthing tubs in lots of hospitals around the area. I am going to try to do everything natural in the tub, but being that it's my first - I'm happy I will have the safety net of the hospital setting. If all goes well, perhaps #2 will be at home. I'd like the experience and I like the idea of laboring in the comfort of your own home.
November 12th, 2012, 09:58 PM
LeslieRN72's Avatar Veteran
Had 2 fantastic epidurals! I was able to move around in bed and feel where my boys were. I just didn't feel pain! We were joking throughout and had a great time. Easy. No tearing. I felt fantastic afterward. I'll definitely go that route again for sure.

Everybody has their own way of doing things and raising their children. No one way is better than the other. The end product will be the same no matter what path you take, and never let anyone make you feel otherwise.
November 13th, 2012, 06:30 PM
Twin Mama
the thought of it is appealing but i'm scared of complications, tearing, not being able to do it half way through and being in a bad situation. i'll most likely be at a hospital with an epidural.

November 14th, 2012, 07:17 AM
Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeslieRN72 View Post
Had 2 fantastic epidurals! I was able to move around in bed and feel where my boys were. I just didn't feel pain! We were joking throughout and had a great time. Easy. No tearing. I felt fantastic afterward. I'll definitely go that route again for sure.
Wow, that sounds great! I had an epidural, and it did allow me to rest for a while before pushing, which I felt I needed. However, I was unable to move one leg, tore in two spots, and was unable to pee the next day. This time around I'll get an epidural if I feel I need it, but I will try to go without. I definitely feel more secure in a hospital than at home, so that's where I'll be!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search