Forced to have my baby at a hospital I don't trust

Forum: July 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To July 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 10th, 2012, 06:50 AM
MissesDavis's Avatar Army Girl
I gotta say my worst fear is having my first baby at William Beaumont Army Medical Center. I have heard so many bad things about their L&D and Prenatal care. First of all you never see the same doctor when you go to OB so your stuck repeating your medical history over and over every time you go there. Then the doctors will conflict with each other about treatment plans. And god knows what doctor you will have when you come in for labor. Oh and when you come in for labor, most of the time they send you home. They are so cheap if you have a problem they rather sit back and see if it progresses rather than being proactive. I hate WBAMC for anything...not just obgyn related.

whew I'm done ranting

"I love being married. It's so great to find that one special person you want to annoy for the rest of your life. "
November 10th, 2012, 07:06 AM
slmehaffey's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Army hosptial... are you covered by tricare? standard or prime? I felt forced to deliver my daughter at a navy hospital I didn't trust and it ended with my water being broken before her head was engaged and her cord prolapsing... the whole pregnancy I fought tooth and nail for what I wanted, and got none of it... I was polite in my 'fighting' but it didn't matter.
If you are on Tricare Prime switch to standard, the premiums are almost nonexsistant if you have no other health problems and don't need medication. A client of mine (I'm a doula) was on Prime and Switched to Standard, she was diagnosed with GD and was seeing a holistic doctor who got her on a special diet and excercise program and kept her sugar in check through that so she never needed meds, when she delivered a beautiful boy at the hospital of her choice she only paid $11 per night of her stay in the hospital. that was the only cost she ever saw during her pregnancy.
I'd seriously consider switching if you can possibly do it! Good luck!
November 10th, 2012, 07:14 AM
MissesDavis's Avatar Army Girl
Yupp Army hospital....I'm not sure which Tricare I am. Both my husband and I are active duty. From what I've been told from 4 of my female battles who just had babies. (There's something in the water here lol) They were told they had no choice since they were active and they would have to pay to go anywhere else. Which I don't think is really fair but I guess that's what we get for selling our souls to Uncle Sam. I'm at least hoping that when I reenlist in January (my husband has a possible medboard that may happen in the near future and don't want to be without insurance with a new baby) that I can PCS to somewhere else. I've heard a lot of 20+ years active duty guys say WBAMC is the worst care they've gotten their whole time being in the Army...

"I love being married. It's so great to find that one special person you want to annoy for the rest of your life. "
November 10th, 2012, 07:32 AM
slmehaffey's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
active duty probably wont let you go anywhere else... another possibility is to change your address to more than 30 miles away from base... if you are that far away even active duty they have to let you deliver closer to home if you can. I don't know if that is a possibility for you, but I'd consider it if it were... I had another client who did live that far from base and was active duty, she delivered at a hospital closer to home and was never billed for it.
Moving is a big deal though... If I think of anything else I'll let you know, but I'd call tricare directly and ask about Standard.. You would be Prime if you are active duty.
Oh and one other thing is that if you have anything happend during pregnancy that they can't take care of at your hospital they will be forced to refer you out.. perhaps you can start praying now that the OB/gyn ward fills up so much so that they have to start refering people out and you can volunteer to be refered out.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search