Hiding pregnancy with fake "wine" at Thanksgiving

Forum: July 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By writergurrl
  • 1 Post By MeggysMommy
  • 1 Post By pearlica
  • 2 Post By writergurrl

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To July 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 10th, 2012, 09:20 AM
Veteran
As some of you know, I want to hold off as long as I can on our announcement. But my lack of imbibing will almost certainly be noticed! So I thought I'd share this tip for anyone interested.

I rinsed out a screw top white wine bottle. I plan to fill it with flat organic ginger ale (paler than regular ginger ale). I guess you could use non-alcoholic wine, too. (Non-alcoholic wines usually say "non-alcoholic" right on the bottle, and my eagle-eyed friends would notice that for certain.) I'll pour it in a wine glass, and no one will be the wiser!

Of course, this only works if no one wants to drink the wine from your bottle! lol But I plan to keep "my" bottle in the fridge, and all the rest of the real drinks will be on the liquor cabinet.

I suspect everyone will wonder why I'm still standing after I drink 5 glasses of "wine."
MeggysMommy likes this.
November 10th, 2012, 09:26 AM
MeggysMommy's Avatar 3 + 1
This is why I m glad we aren't huge drinkers around here or if I go out I can always say well I'm driving. I'm a terrible liar.
BeachMum likes this.

November 10th, 2012, 12:23 PM
pearlica's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I love to drink and my husband is always the one who drives. So that is the hardest part for me is coming up with believable excuses as to why I'm the sober one! A couple times I've said I drank too much the night before and am hung over...lol. Or I'll tell my husband he can stay home and then I have to be the one driving. Hurry up first trimester and be over so I can spill the beans!!
MeggysMommy likes this.
November 10th, 2012, 12:30 PM
BeachMum's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We're not big drinkers here but went to a halloween party and I quickly said OHHH I can't have the adult punch, I'm nursing still. Phew. I didn't know what to say when they handed me the drink. EEKS. I was truthful too since I am nursing still

Last edited by BeachMum; November 10th, 2012 at 12:33 PM.
November 10th, 2012, 12:32 PM
OnesOnTheWay's Avatar #2 Due July 19, 2013
I don't drink Alcohol but that is a good idea ;-) Good thinkin'!
November 10th, 2012, 03:14 PM
tela's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Gah that wouldn't work for me since I'm a red wine gal. Nothing looks quite like cab. Luckily we have a small thanksgiving with family, all of whom we've told, so I don't have to hide it.
November 11th, 2012, 11:13 AM
Twin Mama
i'm not worried about thanksgiving because we dont drink much but we are going the las vegas at the beginning of december for a work christmas party. I know that my co-workers will wonder what's up, i guess DH will have to drink so I can play the sober one.

November 11th, 2012, 11:58 AM
crash's Avatar Veteran
Ha, that's a super cute idea!

There is this non-alcoholic wine at a lot of liquor stores, and it tastes almost exactly like wine. I had some of that in my last pregnancy because I was craving it so bad! But it states that it's non alcoholic, I think, so that wont work
November 12th, 2012, 09:44 AM
Shea131's Avatar Peyton Rylee's Mommy!!
We've basically told everyone (family and close friends) but I like to drink too so if we hadn't told I would be in the same boat! Everyone would wonder what was up.

Thank you Quantum_Leap for my fabulous signature!!!
November 12th, 2012, 09:46 AM
-erin-'s Avatar Co-Host of the May2010 PR
I'm going to have DH mix my "drinks" to throw off suspicion It will only work if m/s holds off though... my dad and sisters are staying with us a few days, so if I'm really sick that would be a give away.

November 12th, 2012, 11:51 AM
*Kiliki*'s Avatar i have absolute power
if i were pregnant i would have had the perfect excuse....i HAVE to be the sober one...seeing as my dh can't drive these days (back injury/issues) so i have to be the sober one to drive anywhere haha
Request Siggy Here SEE GALLERY HERE Request Banner Siggy Here

November 12th, 2012, 01:29 PM
Veteran
I had to fess up to my best friend within hours of finding out I was pregnant thanks to alcohol. Jen's a SAHM, the only time she ever leaves the kids with anyone is for our college homecoming each year. She was feeling guilty this year, debating whether or not to go, so she called me and said, "if I have to leave the kids somewhere and feel sad all day, you'll be my drinking buddy right?" I fessed up that I wouldn't be.
November 12th, 2012, 11:08 PM
getnthere's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I am having trouble too. My family is sure to notice my dizzy spells and nausea. Also I was on a diet till a few weeks back so thats starting some conversations.

November 15th, 2012, 10:55 AM
Wren's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm glad I'm not the only one contemplating this. My first pregnancy, 3 years ago, I was almost at the same stage at Thanksgiving. I told my parents and no one else, but my cousin immediately asked my mom after I left if I was pregnant because I hadn't been drinking. This time I won't have had my 8 week appointment yet, so I don't really want to tell my parents, and I certainly don't want my 20 person extended family to know. I was thinking of filling an empty Riesling bottle with white grape juice, because Riesling tastes like grape juice anyway. I think this will work at my parents house, but not when we go over for Thanksgiving to my cousin's house because they would put the bottle on the table for everyone. I didn't know non-alcoholic wine existed, so I'll have to find some.
November 15th, 2012, 11:50 AM
Veteran
Yeah, I went out to dinner with friends a few nights ago. They noticed I asked the waiter for water instead of my usual glass of wine. The first question out of my girlfriend's mouth was "Are you pregnant?"

I was shocked she asked since she's not usually the prying type.

Although, as Hubs points out, it probably says a lot more about the amount of alcohol I usually consume than any keen observations on the part of my friends/family. lol
pearlica and Wren like this.
November 17th, 2012, 03:50 PM
marriedtoamountie's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
With my first two we were out a lot and offered drinks to which I would respond, "oh thanks, but I'm good with my _______ right now. I'll grab something in a bit " With this one I'll probably just follow the same thing!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search