How hands on is your hubby??

Forum: July 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To July 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 12th, 2012, 06:38 AM
BeachMum's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My hubby has ALWAYS been a handson daddy, even before I had our first. He was at every appointment, talking to her, etc. Now that our kiddos are here, he helps EVERYWHERE he can and is such a good daddy. Just wondering how all the other daddies, daddies-to-be are.

November 12th, 2012, 06:48 AM
Mega Super Mommy
He is awesome and very hands on. He does diapers, clothes change, baths, bedtime stories and he even cooks for me sometimes when I feel like crap. He is always playing the kids and takes them somewhere for a little bit so I can get some me time.

7/24/12
10/09/12
November 12th, 2012, 06:57 AM
tela's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
i'll be honest. DH was TERRIBLE with DS. even though we were NTNP, i think he was in denial about the entire pregnancy. even at 32, he was NOT ready to be a dad. our marriage was strained throughout my pregnancy and jacob's first 2 years. i did EVERYTHING. he finally made the decision to start his own business, and his entire outlook on life changed (he was miserable at his job). we worked hard, and i'm proud to say that our marriage is stronger than ever. when our in-home daycare provider moved in august, DH asked to keep jacob home and be a WAHD. he is AMAZING. i don't know that he'll keep the baby home (he's just not great with the baby stage), but he is a great father and husband, and i know things will be different this time around.
November 12th, 2012, 07:02 AM
Shea131's Avatar Peyton Rylee's Mommy!!
I work 2 nights a week and weekends. DH, most of the time, keeps DD when I'm working. He's really great with her. Now if it's both of us at home I'm definitely the primary caregiver but I'm ok with that. He cooks dinner a lot which in my book makes him awesome because I hate cooking!

Thank you Quantum_Leap for my fabulous signature!!!
November 12th, 2012, 07:25 AM
Veteran
DH is totally hands on when he's home but he travel's for at least 5 days most months, and he works crazy shifts when he is home (ER doctor). I would say that I am alone for half of all weekends/evenings/normal times I assume most dad's are home. Probably because DH is gone so much, when he is there, I tend to sit back and let him do most of the chores/kid tasks.
November 12th, 2012, 07:48 AM
OnesOnTheWay's Avatar #2 Due July 19, 2013
DH isn't overly hands on but he works very hard so I can stay home! He sort of leaves all the home stuff, including kiddo stuff-- to me. Unless I ask him to do something, then he will.
November 12th, 2012, 10:12 AM
PrettyMommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Most things are left to me. I'm a SAHM so needless to say he is typically working. Honestly he is very uneasy with certain things also. Never changed DD diapers, he was always unsure about being to rough wiping her and just left it to me. He is a bad poo changer, used a million wipes so I banned him from doing it. I do the baths. He was again uneasy handling the tiny ones in a tub of water so I did it and still do. He will clean and does cooking and he takes then older ones to the potty. He can put our middle son to bed but the other two are clingy to me for bedtime and always have been. Overall he helps when i need it but I do most of the things for them since I'm usually the one with them all day. He does most our errands and shopping though so that's great not to have to do that and drag all the kids with me.

Last edited by PrettyMommy; November 12th, 2012 at 10:14 AM.
November 12th, 2012, 11:47 AM
Veteran
DH is about as hands-on as it can get. With both kids I didn't even change a diaper for the first 3 weeks (the time he takes off for paternity leave). He works a regular job (Mon-Fri banker hours), and when he comes home from work, he makes the kids dinner, feeds them, helps clean up toys if necessary, gives them their baths, and puts them to bed.

He's the best.
November 12th, 2012, 03:02 PM
Super Mommy
we don't have any kids yet but my spouse is an amazing husband so I know he's going to be an even better father. In fact, my only complaint is that he's a bit TOO overbearing when it comes to this pregnancy.

I chose to go with a midwife instead of an OBGYN and was lucky enough to find one. However, she is brand new, just graduated this year in fact. I'm not particularly concerned. Like any career, the poor girl has to start somewhere! I'm sure she's very competent and well-prepared because I know the midwifery programs here are very stringent, there will always be a back-up midwife supervising everything, and I'm planning a hospital birth so doctors will be there if something goes wrong. I don't foresee any major problems.

Plus in my province in Canada, there are waiting lists for midwives so if you are actually able to get one, you should consider yourself lucky. I know people who waited until they were 10-12 weeks pregnant to put themselves on a waiting list and were never able to get one. But my husband is still very apprehensive about it, to the point where I had to say: "That's enough, don't wanna hear it!".

I have my first appointment with my midwife on Friday so in order to appease him, he's going to come with me so that he can meet her too. Hopefully this will calm his fears.
November 12th, 2012, 07:15 PM
pearlica's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My husband is a super hands on dad. With Tegan he had the first two months off with me and we literally split everything 50/50 I was actually worried at one point that he was better with T than I was! He does all the diaper changes and deals with spit-ups and we alternate now every night who does the bed time routine. We both work full-time so all the childcare is pretty evenly split. My husband is a night owl and I'm a morning person so I always get up with Tegan and he deals with evening/night stuff. When T was a baby he was "on duty" from 9pm to 3am and if she woke after 3 am it was my shift that way we both always got a decent chunk of sleep time. Although I do remember a couple nights when she woke right at 3 on the dot and we both tried to pretend it was the other persons shift
November 12th, 2012, 10:15 PM
getnthere's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
my dh was not into our first. Id put a strain on us...Hes now in law school and he literally has no time except sleeping some months. So he is involved with our dd gets her dressed for school daily. He is already touching my belly and noticing babies. He seems already different.

November 13th, 2012, 10:59 AM
LeslieRN72's Avatar Veteran
My husband is the most amazing man, husband, and father in the world! Even though he works and I'm a SAHM, he would help at night with both boys. He changes diapers. We both cook since sitting down to dinner as a family nightly is a must. He takes our son to school in the morning and picks him up (Alex goes to a Catholic school and there is no bus transportation). He helps with homework. I volunteer at school and go on field trips, as does my husband. He has never missed one of Alex's school programs. He has always coached my son's little league teams. I know our boys are going to grow up with wonderful memories of all the things their Dad did!

Everybody has their own way of doing things and raising their children. No one way is better than the other. The end product will be the same no matter what path you take, and never let anyone make you feel otherwise.
November 13th, 2012, 11:10 AM
Super Mommy
Oh I love bragging about my DH. He has been amazing since day one with the kids. He works long hours and hasn't had a day off in four months but when he is home he helps so much. Feeding the kids. Diaper changes. Laundry. Cooking. I'm so very lucky!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search