NOT a debate - just a curiousity question - QUAD Test

Forum: July 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree7Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To July 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 13th, 2012, 05:33 PM
Mandamail88's Avatar Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by slmehaffey View Post
with DS I refused it, with DD I may have gotten it even though I refused any testing... I found out after the initial blood draw that they had tested me for something and called to tell me I am a carrier for cystic fibrosis, something I didn't know before, and they demanded that DH come in and see if he also was a carrier. I asked the nurse why and she (in a round about manor) said that I should know incase I wanted to terminate. I yelled at her, but we still had DH tested so we could be ready incase our daughter could have cystic fibrosis. In the end, i'm glad we found out because now we know I am the only carrier in our relationship but that my kdis may also be carriers, and I can tell them that they should find out as adults.
I had to sign 3 separate forms
-cystic fibrosis
-HIV
-QUAD

Adam & Amanda
Our First
July 8, 2013

November 13th, 2012, 06:18 PM
lhug_nar's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to lhug_nar Send a message via MSN to lhug_nar Send a message via Yahoo to lhug_nar
We have never had the test done with any of my kids, I won't be having it done this time either. For me it's just an unnecessary test that has a high false-positive rate. Not worth the worry for me.
November 14th, 2012, 12:40 PM
Super Mommy
Not sure yet. I'll probably go for whatever my Dr. reccomends.

"Shake it up now, Sugaree. I'll meet you at the Jubilee. And if that Jubilee don't come. Maybe I'll meet you on the run."
November 14th, 2012, 01:58 PM
Veteran
I've always done the Quad, I figure that if there is a chance baby will be born with a condition that will require unexpected attention, I want to be prepared to provide it. My first born has autism which of course we didn't learn about until he was 2 and a half, but I feel like I need a college degree in how to find and manage all of the care/therapy he needs... if another child had a different disability, I would rather do the leg work before he or she was born than after.

Still not trying to turn this into a debate, but for those who say no to the quad, do you still get an ultrasound? If so, why? It serves the same purpose, to identify potential issues before baby is born. Why 1 test and not the other?

I also said yes to the cystic fibrosis screening the first time and SUPRISE! my DNA comes back as positive for 2 CF mutations... theoretically I could have CF. Since then I have done lots of research into the topic, and it turns out there are lots of women that have 2 mutations, but remain asymptomatic for cystic fibrosis their entire life. DH carries no mutation, so all of our children will be CF carriers, but none of them will have it.
November 15th, 2012, 11:01 AM
Wren's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I did with my first and will again, particularly since this time I am 35. I'd rather have the blood test, and then do other tests (ultrasounds, amnio) if something comes up. I like to know as much as I can and be prepared.
November 15th, 2012, 11:08 AM
Veteran
I'm 37 so I know I am going to be subjected to a lot of extra tests. Once I've had my first prenatal I think I'll get all the info and then decide.

November 15th, 2012, 11:21 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by babieseverywhere View Post
I've always done the Quad, I figure that if there is a chance baby will be born with a condition that will require unexpected attention, I want to be prepared to provide it. My first born has autism which of course we didn't learn about until he was 2 and a half, but I feel like I need a college degree in how to find and manage all of the care/therapy he needs... if another child had a different disability, I would rather do the leg work before he or she was born than after.

Still not trying to turn this into a debate, but for those who say no to the quad, do you still get an ultrasound? If so, why? It serves the same purpose, to identify potential issues before baby is born. Why 1 test and not the other?

I also said yes to the cystic fibrosis screening the first time and SUPRISE! my DNA comes back as positive for 2 CF mutations... theoretically I could have CF. Since then I have done lots of research into the topic, and it turns out there are lots of women that have 2 mutations, but remain asymptomatic for cystic fibrosis their entire life. DH carries no mutation, so all of our children will be CF carriers, but none of them will have it.
Because the QUAD test has a very high false positive rate.

7/24/12
10/09/12
November 15th, 2012, 01:36 PM
Veteran
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn87 View Post
Because the QUAD test has a very high false positive rate.
I know I should probably be good and just shut up, but the practical teacher side of me can't. I have to point out that US also has a high rate of things being reported, and worried about and not being reality in the end.
November 15th, 2012, 02:50 PM
keekopeeko's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Nope not here

November 15th, 2012, 03:00 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
I know I should probably be good and just shut up, but the practical teacher side of me can't. I have to point out that US also has a high rate of things being reported, and worried about and not being reality in the end.
I seriously do not want to debate with you. You want to get it then good but I am not for my own reasons.

7/24/12
10/09/12
November 16th, 2012, 05:28 AM
c'est_la_vie's Avatar Is it nap time yet?
I won't be doing it this time, I didn't ever before.. But this time around it would be completely pointless.

November 17th, 2012, 03:43 PM
marriedtoamountie's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I don't know if this is because I'm from Canada, but here they sent me for blood work with both of my previous pregnancies twice (to check HCG levels are rising) and that iron etc... is okay. But they've never mentioned the QUAD screening? SO, maybe they do it and don't mention it? I've never "told" them not to do it...

November 17th, 2012, 04:05 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I don't do any of the testing they offer. We'll love our baby no matter what so I don't see the point in getting the tests done.
Lynn87 and Mandamail88 like this.
November 17th, 2012, 04:14 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:

Ulrasound is not invasive, perfectly safe, and a routine part of pregnancy care. The tests are invasive and not a routine part of pregnancy care but are optional. Since they are optional I choose not to have them done. We will love our child regardless of their abilities or disabilities. If the ultrasounds caused the doctor to suggest xxx then we would do more. I want as many ultrasounds as the doctor will do in the first trimester as my body is what the medical community call an "habitual aborter" (recurrent miscarriage is the nicer term). I've had two babies and four miscarriages. Until I see a good, strong heartbeat on ultrasound I am checking for blood every time I urinate so for me the ultrasounds are absolutely necessary.
November 17th, 2012, 04:21 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellabri287 View Post
NOOB here... um I didn't even know this existed. wow. i need a book or something to tell me what happens in pregnancy and what tests are out there. something to discuss with DH for sure... once we hear a HB. i refuse to make many decisions before I hear and see that.
The tests that are being referred to have to be done within a certain time frame so you would need to discuss with the DH and make a decision on it (after seeing the heartbeat). Your doctor should give you all this info at your appointment so that you two can make a decision. You'll get a whole lot of freebies at your doctor's appointments, courtesy of formula manufacturers, also.
November 17th, 2012, 04:49 PM
Veteran
We won't test, despite my advanced age. (Geez... I feel geriatric every time I say that. lol)

For me, ultrasounds are less about looking for "defects" in the baby than about checking the placenta and other such things. Both of my previous successful pregnancies had a low-lying placenta, which made it necessary for me to be more careful during the final trimester as well as was part of the reason I had a scheduled c-section for the second kid.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search