NOT a debate - just a curiousity question - QUAD Test

Forum: July 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree7Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To July 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 12th, 2012, 02:31 PM
Mandamail88's Avatar Super Mommy
Just curious as to how many of you ladies will have the QUAD testing done. I didn't talk to DH and signed the papers to refuse it. At my last appointment, DH and I discussed it and thankfully he agreed. Just curious how many people get it and how many people don't.

I asked the nurse doing my paperwork, she said that at my particular OB office, about 75% of patients get it done.

I'm just curious across the board whether you will be having it....if you feel this is too personal of a question then please don't answer, I'm not trying to start a debate on it - just curious.....

Adam & Amanda
Our First
July 8, 2013

November 12th, 2012, 03:11 PM
BeachMum's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I've never had it and won't this time.
lhug_nar and Mandamail88 like this.

November 12th, 2012, 03:33 PM
*Kiliki*'s Avatar i have absolute power
i never did it either i think the most she did was check the nucal fold on helena at 11/12 weeks...i am pretty sure that is the only one she did....but that was because i was bleeding i felt a little better for having it done
Request Siggy Here SEE GALLERY HERE Request Banner Siggy Here

November 12th, 2012, 04:01 PM
tela's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Yes, I had it done with DS and will again with this baby.
November 12th, 2012, 04:04 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Nope, not getting it.

7/24/12
10/09/12
November 12th, 2012, 04:30 PM
Shea131's Avatar Peyton Rylee's Mommy!!
Does that just test for different abnormalities and such? If so, I refused that with my daughter and will this time as well.

Thank you Quantum_Leap for my fabulous signature!!!
November 12th, 2012, 04:37 PM
Mandamail88's Avatar Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shea131 View Post
Does that just test for different abnormalities and such? If so, I refused that with my daughter and will this time as well.
This is from the American Pregnancy Association so I don't misrepresent anything.....

The quad screen measures high and low levels of AFP, abnormal levels of hCG and estriol, and high levels of Inhibin-A. The results are combined with the mother's age and ethnicity in order to assess probabilities of potential genetic disorders.

High levels of AFP may suggest that the developing baby has a neural tube defect such as spina bifida or anencephaly. However, the most common reason for elevated AFP levels is inaccurate dating of the pregnancy.

Low levels of AFP and abnormal levels of hCG and estriol may indicate that the developing baby has Trisomy 21(Down syndrome), Trisomy 18 (Edwards Syndrome) or another type of chromosome abnormality.

Adam & Amanda
Our First
July 8, 2013

November 12th, 2012, 04:40 PM
sethsgirl's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We didn't with either of our boys so we probably won't.

Colleen proud mommy to DS (8/2009), DS (6/2011), and DD (7/2013)

November 12th, 2012, 05:22 PM
-erin-'s Avatar Co-Host of the May2010 PR
I got whatever tests they suggested the first time around, and will do the same this time.

November 12th, 2012, 05:24 PM
Regular
If this is the one that requires just blood testing, I believe I may have participated before. If it's the one that requires the amnio, I have never had that done and do not plan to this time.
November 12th, 2012, 05:38 PM
BeachMum's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
If my ob wanted me to, I would, but there isn't any reason to do it on our end right now. I've had so many people get false positives. Pregnancy is stressful enough to worry and I wouldn't terminate a pregnancy if they recommended it so it's not an issue with us.

November 12th, 2012, 05:54 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Yeah, we do Quad screening.

November 12th, 2012, 05:59 PM
bklynfinest77's Avatar Super Mommy
yes we will

November 12th, 2012, 07:05 PM
Twin Mama
NOOB here... um I didn't even know this existed. wow. i need a book or something to tell me what happens in pregnancy and what tests are out there. something to discuss with DH for sure... once we hear a HB. i refuse to make many decisions before I hear and see that.

November 12th, 2012, 07:39 PM
pearlica's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
If this is just the blood test, yeah I did it last time and will again. If there's a possibility of a special needs baby I want to be as prepared as possible.
LessthanThree likes this.
November 12th, 2012, 07:43 PM
ahruska's Avatar Super Mommy
I didn't for my daughter but not 100% sure on this one.

November 12th, 2012, 10:03 PM
DaniB+3's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I will not do the quad test. I worry about it coming back with false positives that will give me unnecessary concerns. Honestly, even if it comes back with unfavorable news it's not like I'm going to terminate my pregnancy, and most defects are going to be noticeable at the 20 week ultrasound anyway, so I don't personally see the point. I have an irregular cycle so inaccurate dating is always a possibility with me, too. I think the only reason I would choose to do it is if I was AMA.
lhug_nar and Mandamail88 like this.

Thank you, *sharon*, for my siggy!

November 13th, 2012, 12:40 AM
Kiam's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I don't think we even have it here. No doctor has said anything to me and after reading this I asked some ladies at work (two who have young kids and one who is in her third trimester) and they had never heard of it either.

November 13th, 2012, 06:03 AM
ninja_mommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We didn't have it done with DD and don't think we will be doing it this time either

Oct '11 June '12
November 13th, 2012, 04:28 PM
slmehaffey's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
with DS I refused it, with DD I may have gotten it even though I refused any testing... I found out after the initial blood draw that they had tested me for something and called to tell me I am a carrier for cystic fibrosis, something I didn't know before, and they demanded that DH come in and see if he also was a carrier. I asked the nurse why and she (in a round about manor) said that I should know incase I wanted to terminate. I yelled at her, but we still had DH tested so we could be ready incase our daughter could have cystic fibrosis. In the end, i'm glad we found out because now we know I am the only carrier in our relationship but that my kdis may also be carriers, and I can tell them that they should find out as adults.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search