Has anyone NOT picked a doctor or midwife?

Forum: July 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By -erin-
  • 1 Post By babieseverywhere
  • 1 Post By Cicada
  • 1 Post By OnesOnTheWay

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To July 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 14th, 2012, 01:25 PM
OnesOnTheWay's Avatar #2 Due July 19, 2013
I made an appointment for Dec 11th (I'll be exactly 9 weeks) with my OB/GYN who delivered my daughter.
However, I am seriously considering switching to a midwife this time around but still delivering at a hospital.
If I can help it, I really want to go into labor on my own this time and I am kind of tired of the mentality that pregnancy is a medical condition. My OB was really sweet and nice but she never offered nutritional advice/fitness advice or general well being advice. And she made up a bogus thing about how my baby was going to be too big so I would need to be induced. She was 7lbs at 40 weeks 1 day! I felt like it was everything to do with HER schedule than my babies.

So.. I just really want to have a different experience this time & actually go to prenatal & birthing classes. I wish I was more educated last time to make better decisions for myself.

Is anyone else undecided about their provider or how they want to give birth?
November 14th, 2012, 01:53 PM
-erin-'s Avatar Co-Host of the May2010 PR
I'm undecided about how I'm giving birth, and we moved so I have to find a new dr anyways. I don't know if I want to try for a VBAC or not, and I've heard most practices around here won't do them. Since I'm more leaning towards a repeat c-section, I found a practice that looks nice and has good reviews and I made an appointment with them, but they aren't seeing me until almost 8 weeks. I was really thinking about finding a midwife to see instead, but if I'm going to have a c-section I'll need a dr. My last practice felt very impersonal and like they rushed me through each appointment and I hated it.
OnesOnTheWay likes this.

November 14th, 2012, 02:06 PM
Veteran
I couldn't agree more with the statement that you don't want it to be treated like a medical condition. I wish I had had more knowledge with my first. I still don't know if I would have done things any differently, but at least I would have been more certain of my decisions.

I do know who my doc is. She is the one who sent me away when I was 30 weeks along with baby #3. She had been telling me my whole pregnanc that she would let me try to VBA2C, and at my 30 week appointment, she told me that she couldn't get her partner to agree, so I had to agree to a csection of leave their practice. I left, went to another doctor who I hated and wound up with a csection anyway. I wish I had a different option, but this time, I am going to go back to a doc I know I like, and just get the CS rather than spend my entire pregnancy worrying and wondering if I'll be able to VBAC when the likelyhood that I would be successful is so low.
OnesOnTheWay likes this.
November 14th, 2012, 02:54 PM
Cicada's Avatar Regular
I haven't decided yet. I have a gynecologist office I go to, but don't quite feel great about them (I always feel rushed at my yearly appointment). I have a meet and greet appointment with a local midwife on Friday, but as soon as I found out I was pregnant I called my regular obgyn office and made an appointment for an ultrasound and everything at 8 weeks (next Tuesday). I really hope I can switch to the midwife if I feel more comfortable with her after my preliminary obgyn appointment. I'm hoping for a water birth if possible.
OnesOnTheWay likes this.
November 14th, 2012, 03:27 PM
PrettyMommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm with the same doc I have been seeing since I was 16. She delivered my other kids so no question I went back to her for this one.

November 14th, 2012, 03:41 PM
Super Mommy
I can't speak from experience because this is my first pregnancy, but I have discussed the whole DR vs. midwife debate with a friend of mine who is a nurse. when she was pregnant with her daughter, she originally had a midwife which she absolutely loved. The midwife was originally from Africa and had helped dozens of women give birth before she came to Canada and studied midwifery here. She was super experienced and knowledgeable.

Then halfway through the pregnancy, my friend started having all of these irrational fears about things going wrong due to her age (she was in her late thirties), and so she switched to an OB/GYN. She says it was one of her biggest regrets. The level of care and concern just wasn't the same and as mentioned previously, her pregnancy was pretty much treated as a "medical condition".

I've read reviews on the midwifery clinic that I've selected, and they've all said that there was a midwife with them during the delivery at ALL times (there are two of them present so that one of them can go on breaks). It just sounded like the type of delivery I'd want to have. I don't want nurses checking in on me periodically and then have a doctor show up at the very moment I'm ready to push.

I'm also hoping for a drug-free labour because I'm actually more terrified of getting an epidural than I am about going into labour. Even the idea of having an IV creeps the hell out of me. I don't like needles. we'll see how I feel when the time comes, but for the moment, that's the plan.
November 14th, 2012, 03:57 PM
OnesOnTheWay's Avatar #2 Due July 19, 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessifer View Post
I can't speak from experience because this is my first pregnancy, but I have discussed the whole DR vs. midwife debate with a friend of mine who is a nurse. when she was pregnant with her daughter, she originally had a midwife which she absolutely loved. The midwife was originally from Africa and had helped dozens of women give birth before she came to Canada and studied midwifery here. She was super experienced and knowledgeable.

Then halfway through the pregnancy, my friend started having all of these irrational fears about things going wrong due to her age (she was in her late thirties), and so she switched to an OB/GYN. She says it was one of her biggest regrets. The level of care and concern just wasn't the same and as mentioned previously, her pregnancy was pretty much treated as a "medical condition".

I've read reviews on the midwifery clinic that I've selected, and they've all said that there was a midwife with them during the delivery at ALL times (there are two of them present so that one of them can go on breaks). It just sounded like the type of delivery I'd want to have. I don't want nurses checking in on me periodically and then have a doctor show up at the very moment I'm ready to push.

I'm also hoping for a drug-free labour because I'm actually more terrified of getting an epidural than I am about going into labour. Even the idea of having an IV creeps the hell out of me. I don't like needles. we'll see how I feel when the time comes, but for the moment, that's the plan.
Let me tell ya..
The IV in my arm hurt more than the birth it's self. My epidural wore off by the time I had to push and I was screaming in pain because of the IV the whole time! Then the epistostomy immediately after sent me in so much pain that I couldn't even focus on the Joy of just having birthed my daughter.

Not to mention laying on your back makes absolutely no sense when trying to give birth. The whole thing stinks. Not everyone has a bad experience (Mine wasn't THAT bad..) but I feel the experience can be so much more beautiful if you have a birth plan and someone there (midwife/doula, etc) to advocate for you.

OH! And your right..my Dr showed up literally at the last second. The nurses did all the work helping me push & breathe for 10 hours and for that I am thankful.
Jessifer likes this.
November 14th, 2012, 04:06 PM
Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnesOnTheWay View Post
Let me tell ya..
The IV in my arm hurt more than the birth it's self. My epidural wore off by the time I had to push and I was screaming in pain because of the IV the whole time!
One of my friends gave birth in early August and she also mentioned that one of the worst parts of the birthing process was the IV in her arm. She says it hurt and was driving her insane. She couldn't wait to yank it out.

My mother had a natural childbirth for all three of us. I don't know if she has an extremely high pain tolerance or what but she said that while it does hurt a lot, it's really not as bad as people make it out to be. I sure hope she's right!
November 14th, 2012, 06:40 PM
Shea131's Avatar Peyton Rylee's Mommy!!
I'm going to the same doc that delivered my daughter and who I saw many years before that for my yearly visit. I'm super comfortable in that office! He definitely did just show up for me to push her out but my experience and nurse were so great! Hopefully I get an equally great nurse this time around!

Thank you Quantum_Leap for my fabulous signature!!!
November 15th, 2012, 02:07 PM
Kiam's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I registered at our local public hospital a week ago, you put in your preferences (maternity ward of family birth centre) and they read the referral from your doctor, and "allocate" you based on your preferences combined with the referral (for example, if you want to use the birth centre, but have a medical condition that will cause complications during birth, they won't allow you to use it)

Yesterday I got a call to say that I was allocated a midwife at the birth centre, YAY!

November 15th, 2012, 03:18 PM
karmaissotrue's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to karmaissotrue Send a message via Yahoo to karmaissotrue
I actually just choose mine new OB this afternoon. I love my previous OB I just hate the hospital she is affiliated with & I refuse to give birth there again. This new OB is a male (which is a little out of my comfort zone) but he has excellent reviews ...Fingers crossed

THANKS SO MUCH KILIKI FOR THE WONDERFUL SIGGY
November 15th, 2012, 03:34 PM
Kiam's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I used to have reservations about males and gynaecology too, but my FS was male and was actually the most gentle, compassionate doctor I have ever met, and he had the most amazing bedside manner. So I see the whole thing in a new light now.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search