Speaking of Natural Child Birth..

Forum: July 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By OnesOnTheWay

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To July 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 14th, 2012, 03:50 PM
OnesOnTheWay's Avatar #2 Due July 19, 2013
I was just remembering what a hostile environment a hospital can be if you want a natural child birth. I am pretty sure I will get an epidural but I remember while I was in labor with my last pregnancy the nurses were all chit chatting and complaining about a lady in labor down the hall. They were upset because she choose no pain meds and were tired of hearing her labor pain noises. Then a little later they asked me if I was ready for my epidural and they had this attitude that women who chose not to have an epi were being selfish & burden on them & the hospital system.

Just shocking to me! I will never forget that. I am sure it's not like that everywhere but just shocked that they would judge a woman for choosing a natural birth. Another example of the medical community seeing it as a "condition" that needs treatment rather than a natural process. They just want things to go as fast as possible so they can get their money and bring in the next "patient"..

End rant lol
Chloebearsmomma likes this.
November 14th, 2012, 04:11 PM
crash's Avatar Veteran
I have had a medicated birth and a completely natural birth and I don't recommend either...
That being said, that is HORRIBLE that they were so negative about the natural birth!!! That enrages me!
I prepared for MONTHS for my natural birth, and I ROCKED it! I was quiet during the contractions, but when I was pushing my 9lb 7oz baby boy out, I was screaming in pain. I was loud, and obnoxious, but I was getting my baby out the way I wanted to.
I was congratulated by hospital staff, doctors, nurses, etc. I did an amazing thing, and THAT is what should be recognized for all women who give birth WITH or WITHOUT meds.
I went home that same day. There was no recovery from meds or anything. I had him, felt better, and went home.
Have whatever kind of birth experience you want. And don't let narrow minded, impatient hospital staff bring you down or change your mind.
And if you plan on a natural birth and then change your mind and want an epidural, that's just fine. As long as it's your choice.

You have time to shop around your options. Best of luck finding everything you want/need.
November 14th, 2012, 04:15 PM
Super Mommy
I had an all medicated birth at the hospital with my first and a natural birth at home with my second. I missed the epidural for sure!

November 14th, 2012, 04:42 PM
sethsgirl's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I would be sooo mad! I ha a natural birth with both of my boys and fully plan on another this time. I would be furious if that was going on during my labor and I am the type of person that would say something and due to everything you're going through I'd also file a complaint! That is completely uncalled for and I hope you don't have to go through that again! Everyone should be allowed to have the birth thy want as log as their health and their unborn child's health aren't in jeopardy.

Colleen proud mommy to DS (8/2009), DS (6/2011), and DD (7/2013)

November 14th, 2012, 06:33 PM
Shea131's Avatar Peyton Rylee's Mommy!!
While the natural way isn't for me I think women that can do it are amazing! I mean I know I could if I had to but I don't want to. Its sad that so many medical professionals try to talk patients out of all natural.

Thank you Quantum_Leap for my fabulous signature!!!
November 14th, 2012, 06:40 PM
ldsc85's Avatar Member
I'm glad you posted this because this is my first and I am not sure what I am going to do. I enjoy hearing what people have to say. I think for now I am leaning towards natural. I will continue to listen and read up! We shall see =)
November 14th, 2012, 09:34 PM
I agree that the bottom line is that it's the woman's choice and the hospital staff should be as supportive as possible no matter what the decision is. But when Women are giving birth they will be VERY vulnerable and often the Nurses will talk Women into Epidurals even when they really wanted to go natural.

I doubt I will have a natural birth but I completely support Women who do and I just it was more accepted.
November 14th, 2012, 09:41 PM
DaniB+4's Avatar Super Moderator
I guess I got lucky with my son because I wanted a med-free labor and the staff was super supportive. My midwives were actually thrilled that I chose an epidural-free VBAC because a lot of evidence leans towards epis contributing to dilation problems (which I have a history of), and meanwhile the nurse that was on duty when I was admitted had her three children naturally. Granted, I ended up having a c-section so the birth didn't happen the way it was supposed to, but I definitely felt zero pressure to get an epidural. I was up, moving around, rolling on my birth ball....it was really a relatively pleasant experience overall.

Thank you, *sharon*, for my siggy!

November 14th, 2012, 09:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniB+3 View Post
I guess I got lucky with my son because I wanted a med-free labor and the staff was super supportive. My midwives were actually thrilled that I chose an epidural-free VBAC because a lot of evidence leans towards epis contributing to dilation problems (which I have a history of), and meanwhile the nurse that was on duty when I was admitted had her three children naturally. Granted, I ended up having a c-section so the birth didn't happen the way it was supposed to, but I definitely felt zero pressure to get an epidural. I was up, moving around, rolling on my birth ball....it was really a relatively pleasant experience overall.
Oh that is awesome! Even if it didn't turn out as planned I think it's great you had no pressure. Maybe it just boils down to what nurses are on duty Roll of the dice..
November 15th, 2012, 04:26 AM
*Kiliki*'s Avatar i have absolute power
im so glad my experiences were not like that...i gave birth in the same hospital with all 3 of my girls...and i loved every min of it....they even have a birthing tub if you so choose...which i didnt...cause yeah i have a whole different set of issues with that LOL....but i didnt get an epidural ever....my nurses were nothing but supportive and almost in awe it seemed that i handled it so well without pain meds LOL i was more of a suffer in silence type of labor i guess....
Request Siggy Here SEE GALLERY HERE Request Banner Siggy Here

November 15th, 2012, 09:12 AM
BeachMum's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
It was pushed on me with #2 bad. UGGH. I had a great epi experience with my first, but #2, they gave me too much and I had problems after birth from the epi. So I was determined after #2 to do natural and I did. Very rude of nurses to do that.

November 15th, 2012, 09:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Kiliki* View Post
im so glad my experiences were not like that...i gave birth in the same hospital with all 3 of my girls...and i loved every min of it....they even have a birthing tub if you so choose...which i didnt...cause yeah i have a whole different set of issues with that LOL....but i didnt get an epidural ever....my nurses were nothing but supportive and almost in awe it seemed that i handled it so well without pain meds LOL i was more of a suffer in silence type of labor i guess....
BIRTHING TUB?
Okay seriously. I need to do a ton of research about what is available in my area! I would love to be able to labor in a tub instead of strapped to a bed with an IV in my arm.
November 15th, 2012, 12:29 PM
LeslieRN72's Avatar Veteran
That must have been one crappy hospital if the nurses were that nasty. I am friends with several L&D nurses. They have never disparaged either way. Most nurses are Moms as well and have taken different routes as their means to an end. I still have yet to get firsthand knowledge of the ubiquitous Mom who has a c-section for convenience sake though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Kiliki* View Post
All our hospitals have birthing tubs in all the birthing suites. I'm with you on the tub issue. Placenta and all kinds of other floaties soup? Yes, I am a grown woman. But once your kid poops in the tub and you have to clean it a few times, giving birth in a tub just loses its allure.

Everybody has their own way of doing things and raising their children. No one way is better than the other. The end product will be the same no matter what path you take, and never let anyone make you feel otherwise.
November 15th, 2012, 01:52 PM
Kiam's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Ugh, unfortunately there are some nurses in the job who just don't have the right attitude. It always sucks when you encounter them, regardless of the reason why you are in hospital.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search