Midwife Anyone?

Forum: July 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Kiam

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To July 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 16th, 2012, 09:18 AM
I have been trying to find a new OB since i found out I was pregnant. I had a OB/Gyn I was seeing, but I wasn't satisfied with her bedside manner when I was just getting my annuals from her. So here I am, 4 weeks and without an OB. Ive been asking friends and reading a few local blog/ community groups to see who was highly recommended. I know what hospital I would like to deliver at, so that cuts my OB options down to a few and what I have been hearing about those physicians aren't making me feel like i can make a secure choice ( long wait times, nasty office staff). One name that keeps popping up with exceptional views/ recommendations is a local midwife. I don't know much about midwivery and am a little nervous about not having a OB. When doing research about her, she seems right up my alley. We have the same views on delivery (natural, no time limits and as less invasive as possible) plus she will go to the hospital of my choice.

With all that said, has any one else used a midwife and can you give a FTM some encouragement to ease her worries. Thanks Ladies
TTC #1

November 16th, 2012, 09:59 AM
sethsgirl's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I had a midwife with both of my boys and loved it! They are more relaxed then an OB I've met and were both (had 2 different ones since we moved) very thorough and caring. They took time to answer all of my questions and explained everything. To me most OBs seem like they have a routine that they use for every patient where my midwives treated each patient differently. Also if you're planning to have a natural birth they tend to be more supportive than some OBs especially if you end up with a longer labor. Even with D2 I was in the hospital overnight for contractions that started at 19 weeks and my midwife would check on me several times throughout the day even though I had to be monitored by an OB because it was way to early for my baby to be born. I think a midwife is also more willing to tell you different positions and things to try during labor to try and make you more comfortable and find the best way for you to labor and birth your baby. I'm not saying all OBs aren't like this though, just in my experience nod when I talk with friends.

Colleen proud mommy to DS (8/2009), DS (6/2011), and DD (7/2013)

November 16th, 2012, 01:02 PM
Kiam's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm using a midwife but I think it's completely different here, midwives are standard and employed by hospitals, you really only see a doctor if you have complications, or go with a private hospital and pay for it yourself.
mommamindy likes this.

November 16th, 2012, 02:18 PM
Beautiful Life!
I would use one if we had one here! Supposedly there's one that's going to be moving here, but who knows.

November 16th, 2012, 02:21 PM
Wren's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I had a choice between the midwife team and the OB team at the local hospital, and I chose the midwife team. Even though I have a close friend who is a midwife, I'm not exactly sure what the difference will be. My first pregnancy I ended up high risk anyway, so I may get transferred at the end.
November 17th, 2012, 02:45 PM
marriedtoamountie's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm waiting until my Dr. confirms my pregnancy next week and then am on the midwife search

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search