Road trips for the holidays?

Forum: July 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree9Likes
  • 1 Post By -erin-
  • 1 Post By AmiraX4
  • 1 Post By Honeybear27
  • 1 Post By jersey_gray
  • 4 Post By -erin-
  • 1 Post By GranolaMamaOf3

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To July 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 17th, 2012, 04:56 AM
-erin-'s Avatar Co-Host of the May2010 PR
Anyone else driving a ways for the holidays? We'll be going from Florida to Maryland, about 15 hours. I'm starting to get nervous about the trip. My morning sickness hasn't been as bad this pregnancy as my last, but I was always sickest in the car last time. I have zofran so I plan to stay dosed up on it for the car ride as a precaution. We leave tomorrow night to drive overnight.

December 17th, 2012, 07:51 AM
OnesOnTheWay's Avatar #2 Due July 19, 2013
We have a 15 hour journey as well! Not looking forward to the car trip ;( But we are breaking ours up over 2 days and staying in a hotel half way through.
I am a little nervous to be leaving our home.. where I feel comfortable.. Don't like the idea of having morning sickness at someone else's house! BUT.. still thankful I will be seeing family.
December 17th, 2012, 08:20 AM
Shea131's Avatar Peyton Rylee's Mommy!!
I am very lucky that I am in the same town as all my family. I can't imagine spending Christmas anywhere but home.

I hope you both have safe travels!!! That is such a long trip!

Thank you Quantum_Leap for my fabulous signature!!!
December 17th, 2012, 08:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnesOnTheWay View Post
We have a 15 hour journey as well! Not looking forward to the car trip ;( But we are breaking ours up over 2 days and staying in a hotel half way through.
I am a little nervous to be leaving our home.. where I feel comfortable.. Don't like the idea of having morning sickness at someone else's house! BUT.. still thankful I will be seeing family.
ugh, yes! We'll be going back and forth between my mom's house and my inlaws house, and I know my MIL will be upset if we don't spend "equal" time there, but I was trying to tell DH how I'd feel much more comfortable puking at my mom's house, plus the room we'll be staying in is much closer proximity to a bathroom!
OnesOnTheWay likes this.

December 17th, 2012, 09:01 AM
doodoosmom's Avatar 4 kids?! Who's counting!
We were planning on it but DH couldn't get the weekend before Christmas off so we cancelled our plans. I have family coming up to visit us instead now.
December 17th, 2012, 09:29 AM
OnesOnTheWay's Avatar #2 Due July 19, 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by -erin- View Post
ugh, yes! We'll be going back and forth between my mom's house and my inlaws house, and I know my MIL will be upset if we don't spend "equal" time there, but I was trying to tell DH how I'd feel much more comfortable puking at my mom's house, plus the room we'll be staying in is much closer proximity to a bathroom!
We are doing the same thing, dividing up time between both houses... Trying not to hurt anyone's feelings!
December 17th, 2012, 09:56 AM
tela's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
thank goodness no. we used to drive the 2.5 hours to my parents' house, but they moved 2 years ago, so they are only ~50 min away now. that's the furthest we have to go since the ILs are only 10-15 min away. down side is that everyone expects to see us since it's close enough, which means driving on xmas.
December 17th, 2012, 10:01 AM
4 Boys & 4 Girls !
We are not driving anywhere for the holidays, but we do go on alot of road trips and trips for that matter. We are planning doing the scenic route when coming back to the states after the new year. We will be driving from the east coast to the west coast. Dh wants to take it all in...and I have not been to alot east coast and all the inbetween states so we are planning to make it our "adventure" road trip..
GranolaMamaOf3 likes this.
December 17th, 2012, 11:27 AM
Super Mommy
We're leaving Saturday to drive 2.5 hours to my Mom's house, driving back here Monday for my ultrasound, back to my Mom's. Boxing day we are driving 7 hours to the in laws. It's a lot of driving!!
December 17th, 2012, 12:48 PM
Mega Super Mommy
We just got done driving 12ish hours (both ways) to Orlando for Disney with my family. It wasn't that bad except that I was super sore afterwards, but I practically grew up in cars

December 17th, 2012, 06:42 PM
I'm going home for the holidays, but not driving. We are flying out late Thursday night ( i just want a good night's rest). I'm terrified of the body scanner doing something to me...
December 17th, 2012, 11:15 PM
Mega Super Mommy
My husband's family is all within 50 miles. Christmas is at Grandma's just five minutes away. My family is on the other side of the country so we webcam Christmas morning. I am very thankful for webcams!

Kind of funny story though also feel a bit bad. Guess we got my one brother-in-law in hot water with his girlfriend over how they were going to work out Christmas as they live in the same town as her father. We actually go to Grandma's Christmas Eve for just the immediate family to do gifts and a full Christmas dinner-husband's parent's, his brothers, and husband and I with our girls-as well as Christmas day. The one brother and I were "harassing" J about their Christmas plans, I obviously on the "she has to have time with her dad" side and the brother on the "J must be here" side. However we weren't really being serious. Everyone expected them to spend either Christmas Eve or Christmas with her dad naturally. Apparently she took the whole conversation quite seriously and they got to have a highly uncomfortable ride back to their respective homes. Ooops. She didn't seem upset at the table. The Christmas Eve dinner actually came about for my benefit. I needed time to webcam with my family back east, we needed time to do our own little family Christmas before webcamming and then heading to the big family gathering (20 people MINIMUM, usually more), plus in years past husband was responsible for the turkey. So my awesome in-laws accomodated our request to get together with just the immediate family Christmas Eve so Christmas wouldn't be such a stressful day for us. Now we all love the cozy Christmas Eve get-together! My family goes to the Christmas Eve service so webcamming with them Christmas Eve wasn't an option. Though if all three of my hubby's brothers actually all have wives down the road we may have to figure out a new plan.

Last edited by jersey_gray; December 17th, 2012 at 11:26 PM.
December 18th, 2012, 01:24 AM
Kiam's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Thank goodness we are not going anywhere far, I don't think my stomach could handle it.

December 18th, 2012, 07:23 AM
Well something went right for our trip! We're going to have DH, DD, me, SIL and DH's friend all in the car, but we didn't know about the extra people when we booked the rental, so we just got a sedan. When we priced out a minivan, it made the rental price double! But when we went to get the car today, they had a minivan available and let us have it for a much better rate... so at least now we won't all be squished into the car for the long drive! Plus there are lots of cubbies, cup holders, and charging ports for our devices

December 18th, 2012, 10:47 AM
Regular
I just took my marching band to Walt Disney World - 152 of us on a 19-hour bus trip! And then, of course, 19-hours back home again.

I took Zofran as well and it went just fine! Potty breaks were the most important part!

Safe travels!

Our little firecracker is due on the 4th of July!
December 18th, 2012, 10:56 AM
GranolaMamaOf3's Avatar ~Heather~
We'll be driving from GA to KY to visit my In-law's. We spent Thanksgiving with my family, and did our Christmas with them then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnesOnTheWay View Post
We are doing the same thing, dividing up time between both houses... Trying not to hurt anyone's feelings!
^^I am SO GLAD we don't have to play this game anymore! My family used to live a mile down the road from DH's family... But my family has moved back to FL now, so when we go to visit one, we are there for them only! It's SO NICE to not feel like a tug-of-war rope anymore! I hated it!
jersey_gray likes this.

December 18th, 2012, 02:25 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Good luck and have fun! Even though it comes with hassles, you are very lucky to be heading home for the holidays. We won't be able to see any of our family for Christmas this year. I would love to make the trip this year, but it's just not in the cards. Maybe next year!
December 18th, 2012, 07:20 PM
GranolaMamaOf3's Avatar ~Heather~
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honeybear27 View Post
I'm going home for the holidays, but not driving. We are flying out late Thursday night ( i just want a good night's rest). I'm terrified of the body scanner doing something to me...
You have the right to refuse it! Just get a note from your Dr. My sister did not feel comfortable with it (it's not proven safe during pregnancy. It's an x-ray! The dentist wont even do those if you're pregnant because of the potential risk!) So she talked with her midwife and got a note stating she was pregnant and it was unsafe for baby. They have to do a pat-down, but my sister didn't mind. It was worth it to her to be safe. Oh and security did not appreciate the "inconvenience" she was causing and tried persuading her to just go through the scanner, but she put her foot down and demanded they pat her down instead (which is supposed to be an option to anyone flying, btw...).

December 19th, 2012, 07:22 AM
We made it to Maryland, and I managed not to puke (although it was close and took all my willpower not to a few times). Now we're at the inlaws and my mil and sils have my dd while I nap/rest. I'll probably tell them I'm pregnant tonight after fil gets home.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search