Infant car seats and shopping carts!

Forum: July 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree30Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To July 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 18th, 2012, 02:18 PM
captivate's Avatar Sticky thoughts please...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiam View Post
Don't you guys have shopping carts with infant seats inbuilt? Man, that must suck. Pretty much all supermarkets have them here.

Edit: like this:

Ours are permanently attached to the carts, but surely you could buy the plastic seat separately to clip in?

We have these too. I'll be using them all the time. If your overly paranoid about germs get a antibacterial wipe. I won't be bothering wiping though my local supermarket sprays and wipes them before they go back to use from the drop off.

These are ours.
AmiraX4 likes this.

I have 2 miracles on earth and 5 angels in heaven

December 18th, 2012, 03:08 PM
Emvious's Avatar Mom to 2+2+1 in the oven
I think the only store 'near' us with those is t least 45 minutes away... And the straps on them are almost always disgusting (yes, my dd put things in her mouth, but these are like the equivilent of licking a nasty theatre floor gross!) or broken!
GranolaMamaOf3 likes this.

Waiting to meet my angels in heaven

Emmett Parker, 2-4-12, missed miscarriage @ 11 weeks
Wyatt Leland, 7-30-12, miscarried at 6.5 weeks

Emerson Benton, heartbeat stopped 2-4-13, born 2-5-13 @ 17w3d, 5.6oz, 9" long
December 18th, 2012, 03:22 PM
captivate's Avatar Sticky thoughts please...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emvious View Post
I think the only store 'near' us with those is t least 45 minutes away... And the straps on them are almost always disgusting (yes, my dd put things in her mouth, but these are like the equivilent of licking a nasty theatre floor gross!) or broken!
Thats aweful. I would complain. I have never seen any here in the UK in a state of disrepair or manky.
Emvious likes this.

I have 2 miracles on earth and 5 angels in heaven

December 19th, 2012, 09:28 AM
Emvious's Avatar Mom to 2+2+1 in the oven
Quote:
Originally Posted by captivate View Post
Thats aweful. I would complain. I have never seen any here in the UK in a state of disrepair or manky.
If it was store of choice I might...as it is we only maybe go there once ever 4-6 months. Our local grocer is better but for awhile I was scared I'd end up with one ofthose car carts so I could get the older ones in the front and baby in back andthen have to drag another cart for groceries. i'm hoping I can get shopping done mostly while the older two are in school after baby comes (fingers crossed that Char gets to go to first grade when I wanther too or I'm be keeping her home again!)

Waiting to meet my angels in heaven

Emmett Parker, 2-4-12, missed miscarriage @ 11 weeks
Wyatt Leland, 7-30-12, miscarried at 6.5 weeks

Emerson Benton, heartbeat stopped 2-4-13, born 2-5-13 @ 17w3d, 5.6oz, 9" long
December 19th, 2012, 04:58 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiam View Post
Don't you guys have shopping carts with infant seats inbuilt? Man, that must suck. Pretty much all supermarkets have them here.

Edit: like this:

Ours are permanently attached to the carts, but surely you could buy the plastic seat separately to clip in?
I've just started seeing these in my area in the last couple years. Stores have very few specialized carts however (with the infant seat or the one with multiple seats for big families).

I used the Graco Snugride with both my girls and will get a new one for this baby. It does click onto cart I think and I have put the carseat on the cart or in the cart though I was never very comfortable doing so. The Snugride locks into a base in your car or you can use it without the base and it also locks onto the Graco stroller that's part of the travel system. This baby I just need to get the carseat as the stroller is still going strong from the previous two. I also am a fan of baby-wearing, by far the easiest way to shop. I love the one that is just a simple roll of fleece that makes a cocoon for baby, the Hotsling? Great for tiny babies but I don't know about baby-wearing with back and neck problems. Past twenty pounds baby gets hard to wear in anything short of the Ergo or maybe the Moby Wrap, I never got the hang of the Moby though. Got to have something very supportive when they get over twenty pounds. Do you have family nearby that can baby-sit so you can shop without baby?
December 19th, 2012, 07:41 PM
.:fearless:.'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
It honestly isn't a matter if the car seat "locks" onto the cart or not. There is more.

It makes the cart top heavy. It changes the center of gravity, and the cart could topple very easily, or the car seat fall off. You may be a safe "driver" of your cart, but I have had others crash into me numerous times. Also, the "clicking" of the "latch" on the back of the cart seat could actually damage the car seat and I am pretty certain all car seat manuals state not to do this. I have a LARGE family (this will be my 5th child and my DH also has 4) so there are plenty times I am shopping for 5-9 kids plus 2 adults...alone with a baby When he was younger, I did just fine alone with him in the basket part of the cart, baby wearing etc. Now, that he is out of the carrier, I just wear him. It can be done, it is just a matter of figuring it out and trying to make it work for safety of your baby
Lynn87 likes this.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search