Infant car seats and shopping carts!

Forum: July 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree30Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To July 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 17th, 2012, 11:29 PM
4 Boys & 4 Girls !
So I have a maxi cosi car seat bought in UK and it does not sit or fit in most shopping carts. I was thinking about getting a new infant car seat that does lock into place on the child seat of most shopping carts to avoid having to bring a stroller plus push a shopping cart but not sure about which ones are safest doing that?
Does anyone have one that works good like that? It would be convient for us.
December 18th, 2012, 05:21 AM
-erin-'s Avatar Co-Host of the May2010 PR
I dont think its safe with ANY car seat - Shopping Carts – Eeek! What NOT to do with your infant carseat.

December 18th, 2012, 05:39 AM
keekopeeko's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
^wss.. It's not widely known.. Many women still do it. But it's not very safe. I babywear! Especially while shopping! Makes it so much easier! Baby is happy and being held and snuggled and there is more room in your cart!

December 18th, 2012, 06:11 AM
Veteran
Yeah, car seats don't really lock into carts, in my experience. I found it easier to wear the baby in an pack when I shopped.
AmiraX4 likes this.
December 18th, 2012, 06:43 AM
GranolaMamaOf3's Avatar ~Heather~
Ditto to everyone else. Car seats are NOT meant to go on shopping carts. Ever! Also, it's not healthy for a baby to be in car seats more than necessary. Ie; ONLY use in the car. It's been proven that the baby's respiratory rate drops when in a car seat for extended periods of time. It's for this reason that Premature babies have to pass the "car seat test" before hospitals will discharge them. If you *must* keep baby in their car seat, I'd advise putting the seat in the basket of the cart, but even then, keep a close eye on their breathing, and it's not the safest... Baby wearing is great for shopping!!
.:fearless:., Lynn87 and AmiraX4 like this.

December 18th, 2012, 06:56 AM
4 Boys & 4 Girls !
Thanks for the suggestions!
I would love to baby wear but I suffer from really bad neck and back problems so that is not an option. There are car seats that do lock into the child seat portion of the cart and locks just like into the base in the car. The link that Erin provided even says that.

However, we do sometimes do 2 carts with baby in one in the big part and then other for groceries, or just bring the stroller that the car seat fits into. but its not easy sometimes to do that. But you girls are really giving me a second opinion about it...I dont have issues with the time in a car seat but I think you all are very right in that even if it does lock it just doesnt seem safe enough to take the chancce. Thank you all for helping me out on this. I will opt out of having the car seat in the cart!!
December 18th, 2012, 06:57 AM
Emvious's Avatar Mom to 2+2+1 in the oven
Ditto...I've done it before, but none of the seats actually lock onto a cart...I discovered baby wearing w/dd when I had her and my son 18 months old at the time and needed to go grocery shopping.
AmiraX4 likes this.

Waiting to meet my angels in heaven

Emmett Parker, 2-4-12, missed miscarriage @ 11 weeks
Wyatt Leland, 7-30-12, miscarried at 6.5 weeks

Emerson Benton, heartbeat stopped 2-4-13, born 2-5-13 @ 17w3d, 5.6oz, 9" long
December 18th, 2012, 07:01 AM
keekopeeko's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Amira I know many moms that have back and neck problems that are still able to find the right type of wrap or carrier for them.. I'd maybe start trying to research different options that are available,, many MANY are only available online and not even in stores.. Maybe you have already done all the research.. I'm just trying to offer help!
GranolaMamaOf3 and AmiraX4 like this.

December 18th, 2012, 07:05 AM
4 Boys & 4 Girls !
Thank you again for the support and advice...thats very helpfull...I will continue to loook for one that does not cause more harm but that is not very likely...but hey my baby is worth the effort of at least trying....thanks again!!
December 18th, 2012, 07:20 AM
GranolaMamaOf3's Avatar ~Heather~
Have you tried a high quality woven wrap? Linen is the best for support. The reason I suggest them is because the fabric is spread over your whole torso, so it distributes the weight and doesn't put any pressure on your neck/back. Woven is NOT the same as stretchy (ei; Moby wrap). It is by far the most supportive and versatile baby carrier around!
keekopeeko likes this.

December 18th, 2012, 07:28 AM
Veteran
If you can't babywear, maybe think about leaving baby with dad while you shop. Now that I have 2 kods, grocery shopping alone is a treat!
sethsgirl likes this.
December 18th, 2012, 08:13 AM
-erin-'s Avatar Co-Host of the May2010 PR
Even if the seat locks on the cart, it can still upset the balance of the cart and make it more prone to tipping. It also blocks your vision some.

December 18th, 2012, 09:29 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Ditto everybody else that you are not supposed to put carseats on top of shopping carts. I cringe every time I see it. It makes the basket very top heavy and the basket can flip over. I just put the carrier in the bottom of the basket and go shopping more often or I go at night after baby is in bed.

7/24/12
10/09/12
December 18th, 2012, 10:01 AM
Shea131's Avatar Peyton Rylee's Mommy!!
I put the car seat in the cart and never had any problems. We have Graco snugride?? maybe?? It was my DD's so I can't remember for sure what it is but we will be using it again. I'm right there and not going to let my baby fall out of the cart or tip over or anything. Babywearing is not for me, just not comfortable with it.
AmiraX4 likes this.

Thank you Quantum_Leap for my fabulous signature!!!
December 18th, 2012, 10:50 AM
Mega Super Mommy
When Nathaniel was a baby, we put him directly in the cart, not across it or on the seat. But honestly, I hate newborn seats because they are too big for me to carry and aren't really useful if you aren't taking them out.

December 18th, 2012, 11:46 AM
sethsgirl's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I didn't read all of the responses since my kiddos will be up any min but it actually isn't safe to put the infant seats in the cart unless it's in the big area where it sits down fully and can't go anywhere. If you read the owners manual it most likely states not to put them in carts even if they do click in. I saw some ladies suggesting baby wearing and a lot of stores will let you try on a sling, carrier, wrap before purchasing one if you ask.

Colleen proud mommy to DS (8/2009), DS (6/2011), and DD (7/2013)

December 18th, 2012, 12:48 PM
ninja_mommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
When DD was a baby I had her car seat in the small portion and when I turned a corner if almost feel off! I never did that again! I had a heart attack!

Oct '11 June '12
December 18th, 2012, 01:06 PM
Kiam's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Don't you guys have shopping carts with infant seats inbuilt? Man, that must suck. Pretty much all supermarkets have them here.

Edit: like this:

Ours are permanently attached to the carts, but surely you could buy the plastic seat separately to clip in?
captivate likes this.

Last edited by Kiam; December 18th, 2012 at 01:09 PM.
December 18th, 2012, 01:11 PM
Shea131's Avatar Peyton Rylee's Mommy!!
I've seen some stores with the infant seat built in but not all. I'm not sure if I would put my baby in a seat that is used by everyone though. Seems kind of germ city to me.
GranolaMamaOf3 likes this.

Thank you Quantum_Leap for my fabulous signature!!!
December 18th, 2012, 01:16 PM
Kiam's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Meh, no worse than what babies and toddlers put in their mouthes on any given day.
.:fearless:. and captivate like this.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search