Have you told your other children?

Forum: July 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By TerriLF
  • 5 Post By OceanGirl
  • 1 Post By MamaLemonade

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To July 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 20th, 2012, 09:37 AM
Platinum Supermommy
For those of you with older children, have you told them about the new baby? If so, what was their reaction? If not, when do you plan on telling them?
December 20th, 2012, 09:55 AM
ninja_mommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Yes we told her after we saw the heart beat on u/s. She is 3 and supreme excited to be a big sister. We also had to tell her because I'm super nauseous and tired, plus she likes to jump in my belly lot. So that had to stop!

Oct '11 June '12
December 20th, 2012, 09:56 AM
Shea131's Avatar Peyton Rylee's Mommy!!
My daughter is just 2 1/2 and we told her right away but at her age she doesn't get it. We talk about it a lot and ask her if she wants a boy or girl and what we will name the baby and tell her that mommy's belly is going to start getting bigger because there's a baby in it. I'm thinking the bigger I get the more she will understand...maybe?

Thank you Quantum_Leap for my fabulous signature!!!
December 20th, 2012, 10:00 AM
TerriLF's Avatar Super Mommy
BAHAHA This made me think of a funny story.

I told my soon to be 2 yr old daughter there was a baby in mommy's belly and pointed to my belly. She looked at me at sternly said, "Where my baby?!" like I had taken her baby doll. LOL..

We have not told my 3 yr old son yet because he would tell people and we aren't telling anyone yet.
AmiraX4 likes this.
December 20th, 2012, 10:13 AM
4 Boys & 4 Girls !
Our children are the first ones to know! They are all excited and happy. My oldest DS is a little worried about it just because I have OA and neck and back problems and pregnancy really aggrivates it alot. Otherwise everyone is super excited.
December 20th, 2012, 10:20 AM
Platinum Supermommy
We told our daughter yesterday morning and she is soooooooo excited. She talked about it all day long and asked me very specific questions about how the baby grows. We ended up watching some scientific 3-d animation videos about the growth of a fetus to satisfy her curiosity. Also, she decided that if we have a boy, she would like to name it "Speedy." If it is a girl, she would like to name it Rainbow Heart-Gem Sparkle.
December 20th, 2012, 10:49 AM
4 Boys & 4 Girls !
Love the " Rainbow Heart-Gem Sparkle " name......toooo sweet!!!
December 20th, 2012, 11:22 AM
Emvious's Avatar Mom to 2+2+1 in the oven
DD is 5 and she went to the u/s with us...she's seen alot of bad ultrasounds this year & honestly she wouldn't have known why it was bad, but seeing something different this time she got all excited when the tech explained it to her. My DS is 7 and very observant so he'd picked up on conversations but when we showed him the pic he got really excited! He was extremely pessimistic about pregnancies as he picked up on the second loss when Char really didn't. Our losses kinda tempered our telling them, the first they were so excited and when we lost him they took it really hard. char had nightmares for a good month and will still come tell me she misses the baby.

Waiting to meet my angels in heaven

Emmett Parker, 2-4-12, missed miscarriage @ 11 weeks
Wyatt Leland, 7-30-12, miscarried at 6.5 weeks

Emerson Benton, heartbeat stopped 2-4-13, born 2-5-13 @ 17w3d, 5.6oz, 9" long
December 20th, 2012, 12:10 PM
sethsgirl's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We told our boys before our ultrasound. Our 3 year old is so excited (although he says it better be a baby sister), and our 1 1/2 year old doesn't understand of course but he points to my belly and says baby since his brother told him that's where it is.

Colleen proud mommy to DS (8/2009), DS (6/2011), and DD (7/2013)

December 20th, 2012, 12:18 PM
Mega Super Mommy
We told our girls as soon we saw the heartbeat was good. L is to young to understand-she's only 16 months. KR is is very excited to be a big sister again. She keeps asking why the baby can't come out now She goes between saying "only have one baby", "only have five babies", "only have seven or eight babies" I love four year olds. She also broke the news for us at our regular coffee shop. Don't tell the little ones if your not ready for them to tell people!
December 20th, 2012, 12:51 PM
MamaLemonade's Avatar ~~Whitney~~
We told my kids and this how the convo went:

Me: do you want a brother or sister??
DS: no thanks, I want a puppy
DD: sister
DS: Kenna we want a puppy
Dd: only if mommy takes you back
Me:* Rolling on the floor laughing* we will see what one of you are right :-)

They point at my belly and know where the baby is but they forget about it.
doodoosmom likes this.
Mommy to:C(5), M(4), T(1), awaiting #4
Married to my <3 since 8/09

December 20th, 2012, 02:35 PM
Veteran
Not yet. I'm too worried how I'll explain if I have a loss.
December 20th, 2012, 09:31 PM
doodoosmom's Avatar 4 kids?! Who's counting!
I wanted to wait until the 2nd trimester because I didn't know how to explain it if something happened, but when I told my mom she was soo excited & they came in the room & she yelled " your mommy has a baby in her belly!!" So, they've known since I was 5 weeks.

They're all ecstatic..they are so impatient & want baby to be here now though. They ask me every day how many more days it will be until the baby comes. My daughter already talks to the baby, kisses my belly, rubs my belly, and is always talking about the baby.
December 21st, 2012, 07:49 AM
GranolaMamaOf3's Avatar ~Heather~
We told our boys right away. Last time we waited and told them just a few days before we lost the baby (12 weeks), and that was hard for the 3y/o to understand. Like "wait, you *just* told me we were going to have a baby!" I wanted him to be more in-tune with what was going on this time. Especially since I'm not supposed to be lifting him, and I was on bedrest for 2 weeks. He needed to know. Anyway, I'm not sure he fully understands how it all works, but he's excited

Quote:
Originally Posted by OceanGirl View Post
We told our daughter yesterday morning and she is soooooooo excited. She talked about it all day long and asked me very specific questions about how the baby grows. We ended up watching some scientific 3-d animation videos about the growth of a fetus to satisfy her curiosity. Also, she decided that if we have a boy, she would like to name it "Speedy." If it is a girl, she would like to name it Rainbow Heart-Gem Sparkle.
Love the name choices!

December 21st, 2012, 08:39 AM
Veteran
Yes, my 4 year old son knows and he was excited He does insist that he wants a sister though, so if this baby is a boy he might be bummed. haha.
December 21st, 2012, 09:00 AM
MeggysMommy's Avatar 3 + 1
My DD is only 2 but she has already told me no to being a big sister and having a little bro or sis. She does like to pretend with her baby dolls though which I think is cute.

December 21st, 2012, 09:08 AM
Veteran
When my mom was pregnant with my youngest sister, she told us ahead of time. She told us right before her belly got bigger so that we can adapt easily to any changes.
December 21st, 2012, 04:11 PM
Kisses-4-Baby's Avatar Super Mommy
When I told my 6 year old daughter her response was BIG smile, and "I want the angel to tell me if the baby is a boy or girl like he told Mary" (when Mary was pregnant with Jesus) lol! How sweet! My 4 year old son's response was "what about me?" Then he proceeded with his game on DH's phone. My youngest is 2 and a half and she doesn't really know what is going on. She just repeats what we say "a baby? In your tummy?" Lol.
December 21st, 2012, 04:28 PM
LilSunshine's Avatar ♥ Super Moderator ♥
We told DS (4) on Wednesday after our u/s. He was excited! He will occasionally talk about it, but hasn't said a ton about it. I wonder how much he remembers about our last loss.

September 2009 @ 6 weeks May 2011 @ 11 weeks

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search