Maternity Leave

Forum: July 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree8Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To July 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 21st, 2013, 04:30 PM
Veteran
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessifer View Post
I could have sworn that a few weeks ago I had also read a different amount (I was sure it said something about being based on a maximum salary of $45K). They must have updated it very recently because it says that it is effective January 1st, 2013. The info is on the government website, so it has to be official. Here's the link and it can be found under "If I am eligible to receive EI benefits, how much can I expect to receive?"

Employment Insurance Maternity and Parental Benefits
Thanks for the updated page! I hadn't checked it since Dec.

January 21st, 2013, 05:29 PM
Veteran
I work for myself, but I won't be taking any clients for 6 weeks after baby is born. I travel quite a bit and I have something booked for early October. I'm really nervous
January 21st, 2013, 06:27 PM
-erin-'s Avatar Co-Host of the May2010 PR
I'm jealous of anyone with any paid leave We don't get anything paid, but I can take up to 12 weeks off using FMLA. During that time I can use accumulated annual and sick leave, for as long as I have it, then it's unpaid. I should have almost enough saved to cover the 12 weeks.

January 21st, 2013, 07:57 PM
Twin Mama
I get 4 mos, 16 weeks unpaid Pregnancy Disability Leave, this includes any PTO I have on the books unless my manager approves it in addition to the 16 weeks. I am required to begin chipping away at that time with my time off for Dr visits, even when using sick time. Kinda crappy if you ask me but w/e.

I will be claiming ST Disability pre-birth for 4 weeks, if DR orders me to stop working prior to that I can claim that extra time for ST disability pay. Then I will claim 6 weeks post birth for vaginal or 8 weeks post for c-section for additional ST disability pay. All women in CA with a FT job who pay into SDI qualify for this I think. That means 10-12 weeks of my 16 unpaid will be paid at whatever STD will pay.

DH gets nothing paid except any accrued PTO so hes gonna take about a month after they are born. Hopefully he can work from home for a couple weeks prior to birth as he works 1 hour 30 min from home and that's a problem if I go into labor.

Gotta admit, I'm jealous of you canadian ladies...

January 21st, 2013, 10:19 PM
getnthere's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I am off for summer or school isnt in session from June14 to Aug 23rd. So after Aug I plan to take 6 weeks off paid. I want to go part time but not sure if that will be acceptable or work with my boss. I need to get on it.

January 21st, 2013, 10:45 PM
mommamuffin's Avatar Super Mommy
Right now I'm working odd jobs and off the books, so maternity leave is pretty much whatever I can afford and maneuver. I do in-home care for a couple of elderly peeps as one of my jobs, which I can adjust to shorter shifts so I don't interrupt my breast feeding too much. With dd I was working in retail and could only take my 6 weeks after she was Bon (8 weeks off since I had awful edema that was made worse by me being on my feet for hours).

http://i1359.photobucket.com/albums/q796/DLLovell/SquishyDDC_zps630852e9.gif[/IMG] [IMG]

[FONT="Garamond"][COLOR="Green"]Christina (me), Steve (SO), Isabelle & Leonardo.
January 22nd, 2013, 05:21 AM
Super Mommy
I'll be taking 6 weeks of sick leave and 6 weeks of annual leave for the 12 weeks available under the FMLA. It looks like I'll be able to work from home for a few hours each week during the second six week period, so that will keep me from burning through all my available leave at once.

"Shake it up now, Sugaree. I'll meet you at the Jubilee. And if that Jubilee don't come. Maybe I'll meet you on the run."
January 22nd, 2013, 05:42 AM
TerriLF's Avatar Super Mommy
We still aren't sure what we are going to do about me going back to work after the baby, but if I do I will be taking 10 to 12 weeks off. I get 8 weeks at 60% pay for having my csection and will be using some Vacation and Personal time to get some more paid time off.

I think I will have to go back to work after the baby for atleast a few months because I don't know how it would work if I got Short Term Dis and then called and said I wasn't coming back. Would I have to pay all that back? I don't want to ask HR because then they will know my some what plan..Do any of you ladies know the answer??
January 22nd, 2013, 06:16 AM
pearlica's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I work for gov. in Canada so I am lucky to have a great plan. I get 17 weeks topped up to 85% of my pay and 35 weeks at 75% of my pay so I will take the full year. I also have the option of 2 years extended leave without pay where they will hold my position for me. But I will go back after the 1 year.
January 22nd, 2013, 07:43 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I live in Canada so I'll be taking the full year

January 22nd, 2013, 07:53 AM
#5 = the "Newbie"
With my last pregnancy I got $727 per week.

Barbara 38
Bill 40
Lexi 17
Jeremy 12
Dylan 9
Nathan born April 23, 2012
January 22nd, 2013, 08:36 AM
marriedtoamountie's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
I believe it's actually 55% based on a maximum salary of $47,400 per year (basically it's a MAX of $501 per week). Unfortunately, if you earn more than $47K, you actually end up with less than 55%

My work offers a 6-week mat leave top-up, so I'll be paid at 100% for that period. Then I'm hoping I can stay at home for the first 8 months, and then my husband can go on paternity leave for the remaining 4 months.

I'll have about 4 weeks of vacation time accumulated so I'll have to figure out what I want to do with that. I'm thinking I could use it once my husband goes on his paternity leave so that we can all go to Cuba together for a month to visit his family.
You're right it probably is 55%, I'm pretty sure I only received 52 though. My company offered a top up to 85% (but with the requirement you signed a contract agreeing to work 52 weeks after your return from mat leave, or you owe them back the 33% pro-rated) which I'm so happy I never took because we ended up pregnant a few months after I had DD and I only went back to work for 5.5 months, so I would have owed them a freaking ton of money. However, if I knew I was done having kids I would have jumped on that boat /

January 22nd, 2013, 10:48 AM
Emvious's Avatar Mom to 2+2+1 in the oven
I'm just so interested by all of this! I'm a sahm, but I just find all the differences from country to country amazing!

Waiting to meet my angels in heaven

Emmett Parker, 2-4-12, missed miscarriage @ 11 weeks
Wyatt Leland, 7-30-12, miscarried at 6.5 weeks

Emerson Benton, heartbeat stopped 2-4-13, born 2-5-13 @ 17w3d, 5.6oz, 9" long
January 22nd, 2013, 12:00 PM
Kiam's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
****, I thought we had it good, I want a full year paid.

(Meanwhile, we do also get $5000 from the government simply for having the baby, so I guess I should be grateful for that too)

January 22nd, 2013, 01:12 PM
chessalove's Avatar Love my little family
I'm taking the whole 12 week leave, 60% pay on disability for 6-8 weeks. The rest will be unpaid, but we are planning ahead and using our tax return/savings. Hubby will be finished with grad school in June so we are going to be at home together with the baby, and live off our savings. He will slowly look for a job. I am very much looking forward to having both of us home full-time to get this little baby on a good schedule. I'm going to keep my job for now, but entertain the idea of going back to school/working part time. It will all depend on when/where hubby can get a job. He'll have his masters so we're hoping he can make a decent enough salary that I can have some flexibility and pursue my masters as well.

ALSO we're gonna pop out #2 shortly after that. I should make a new thread because I have a lot of questions about that
January 22nd, 2013, 02:46 PM
Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by marriedtoamountie View Post
You're right it probably is 55%, I'm pretty sure I only received 52 though. My company offered a top up to 85% (but with the requirement you signed a contract agreeing to work 52 weeks after your return from mat leave, or you owe them back the 33% pro-rated) which I'm so happy I never took because we ended up pregnant a few months after I had DD and I only went back to work for 5.5 months, so I would have owed them a freaking ton of money. However, if I knew I was done having kids I would have jumped on that boat /
Oh wow, good to know. I didn't know they could have those kind of stipulations. I am going to have to check with my HR department. I was actually thinking of looking for a different job once I returned from mat leave (unless we decide to have Baby No.2 soon afterwards).
January 22nd, 2013, 06:26 PM
pearlica's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Oh wow, good to know. I didn't know they could have those kind of stipulations. I am going to have to check with my HR department. I was actually thinking of looking for a different job once I returned from mat leave (unless we decide to have Baby No.2 soon afterwards).
With my work you dont have to pay it all back if you are pregnant again, time off for mat leave is considered time worked (counts towards seniority,pension, etc). But maybe your plan is different. Also if you're job changes in anyway they cant hold you to the 12 month rule. I came back from mat leave and they bumped me into a new position. I was worried if I didnt like it I wouldnt be able to quit because I would owe them the money but HR said as soon as they change the position on you they lose out on any requirement for you to pay the money back. My friend also didnt take the top-up because she wasnt sure if she was going to come back and when she did decide to return she was able to get the top-up as a lump sum....lots of different options and rules, I would just make sure you talk to HR and know your options
January 22nd, 2013, 08:01 PM
Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by pearlica View Post
With my work you dont have to pay it all back if you are pregnant again, time off for mat leave is considered time worked (counts towards seniority,pension, etc). But maybe your plan is different. Also if you're job changes in anyway they cant hold you to the 12 month rule. I came back from mat leave and they bumped me into a new position. I was worried if I didnt like it I wouldnt be able to quit because I would owe them the money but HR said as soon as they change the position on you they lose out on any requirement for you to pay the money back. My friend also didnt take the top-up because she wasnt sure if she was going to come back and when she did decide to return she was able to get the top-up as a lump sum....lots of different options and rules, I would just make sure you talk to HR and know your options
I was actually talking about looking for a job with an entirely different company, rather than applying for a different position within my company. Obviously, I can't talk about those concerns specifically with HR but I'll keep my eyes and ears peeled. My HR department isn't particularly responsive so I think I will have to start early. My coworker made several attempts to arrange a meeting with them when she was about 6-7 months pregnant to discuss these matters and they basically postponed it until the week before she left on mat leave!
January 23rd, 2013, 07:29 AM
marriedtoamountie's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by pearlica View Post
My company was the same, Mat-Leave counts as time worked etc... But quick question, so technically you could take your year with your top up, go back to work only for four months, then go back on Mat-leave with top up and then quit and not have to pay back the money? I'm not saying your incorrect, it just seems like "free money" and my husband works for the Gov (and every dept is different of course) and they def seem to pay attention to every dollar. With the amount of people who take medical leave of some kind just to ride out their wage until retirement, they seem to be super sticky now. I can TOTALLY see especially women in DH's dept, taking the top up and then not going back. Interesting though!!!

January 23rd, 2013, 08:17 AM
MissesDavis's Avatar Army Girl
I'm active duty Army. I will get 42 days of paid leave and my hubby will get 10 days of paid leave. Not too bad but I wish I could take longer. I may take leave in conjunction with the convalescence leave or just take leave about a month or two later for a break from work. Not sure yet :/

"I love being married. It's so great to find that one special person you want to annoy for the rest of your life. "

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search