Maternity Leave

Forum: July 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree8Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To July 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 23rd, 2013, 04:33 PM
Easton's Mommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I am a teacher and have decided to take 12 weeks and then substitute teach next year so that I can choose when I work. With DS #1 I was able to stay home 9 months with him before I went back to work.

Thank you Vicki for my AMAZING siggy!

January 23rd, 2013, 07:38 PM
Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by marriedtoamountie View Post
My company was the same, Mat-Leave counts as time worked etc... But quick question, so technically you could take your year with your top up, go back to work only for four months, then go back on Mat-leave with top up and then quit and not have to pay back the money? I'm not saying your incorrect, it just seems like "free money" and my husband works for the Gov (and every dept is different of course) and they def seem to pay attention to every dollar. With the amount of people who take medical leave of some kind just to ride out their wage until retirement, they seem to be super sticky now. I can TOTALLY see especially women in DH's dept, taking the top up and then not going back. Interesting though!!!
You really think so? If I had a government job, I'd definitely want to go back after mat leave! Working for the private sector really sucks!
January 23rd, 2013, 08:15 PM
pearlica's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by marriedtoamountie View Post
My company was the same, Mat-Leave counts as time worked etc... But quick question, so technically you could take your year with your top up, go back to work only for four months, then go back on Mat-leave with top up and then quit and not have to pay back the money? I'm not saying your incorrect, it just seems like "free money" and my husband works for the Gov (and every dept is different of course) and they def seem to pay attention to every dollar. With the amount of people who take medical leave of some kind just to ride out their wage until retirement, they seem to be super sticky now. I can TOTALLY see especially women in DH's dept, taking the top up and then not going back. Interesting though!!!
The quitting and not having to pay back the top-up was only when they changed my position on me. As soon as they bumped me out of my old position and gave me a new position then HR said I could quit and not pay back the top-up as the job I had signed a contract to return to no longer existed. I stayed with gov though so it wasnt an issue
January 23rd, 2013, 09:59 PM
Kiam's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I actually filled out my maternity leave form today *woo*.

Taking 9 months, well, 8 months and 3 weeks or something like that, finishing up June 8th and returning March 3rd.

The form is so ridiculous, it is worded in way where you have to read the same thing three or four times before you understand what it says, I am up to my third form, and I think I have it right this time. I also have to provide a statement from my husband's workplace stating that he is not taking paid leave in excess of one week during my paid leave period, AND attach a certificate from my midwife stating that I am not high risk so I can work until 4 weeks before my due date (6 weeks is their "certificate not required" cut off) oh and tomorrow I have to take it to the police station, because a justice of the peace has to witness my signature on it. FFS!

January 24th, 2013, 06:59 AM
tela's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiam View Post
I actually filled out my maternity leave form today *woo*.

Taking 9 months, well, 8 months and 3 weeks or something like that, finishing up June 8th and returning March 3rd.

The form is so ridiculous, it is worded in way where you have to read the same thing three or four times before you understand what it says, I am up to my third form, and I think I have it right this time. I also have to provide a statement from my husband's workplace stating that he is not taking paid leave in excess of one week during my paid leave period, AND attach a certificate from my midwife stating that I am not high risk so I can work until 4 weeks before my due date (6 weeks is their "certificate not required" cut off) oh and tomorrow I have to take it to the police station, because a justice of the peace has to witness my signature on it. FFS!
it's awesome that they MAKE you start leave 4 weeks before your due date!!! wow. i was told yesterday that i have to be here until jul 2 (when my final report is due for a huge project), and i'm due jul 3! i know they will find a way to finish the project without me if i have the baby early, but they are hoping that i work right up until my due date!
January 24th, 2013, 08:09 AM
Veteran
it will depend on what the needs at work are. With #3, I took 13 weeks (I think I had 6 of them paid between STDB, and PTO). But I worked full time, in a demanding management role, and since I had to turn over all or my responsibilities to another manager, it made since for me to take a BIG chunk of time as long as I was going to be taking a big chunk of time. Now I only work 2 days/week, training physicians how to use a computer system for the hospital. We have an upgrade coming at some point I the fall (could be anywhere from mid sept.-several months later), I have a planned c-section on 7/1, so will have to be off at least until 9/1. If I can come back and be of assistance 9/1 I will, if I won't be majorly contributing anything at that point depending on our go-live date, I will take the full 12 weeks.
January 25th, 2013, 02:42 PM
Kiam's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by tela View Post
it's awesome that they MAKE you start leave 4 weeks before your due date!!! wow. i was told yesterday that i have to be here until jul 2 (when my final report is due for a huge project), and i'm due jul 3! i know they will find a way to finish the project without me if i have the baby early, but they are hoping that i work right up until my due date!
They're just covering their *****, it's nothing to do with the wellbeing of the mother. Unfortunately, they like to tell us when to take leave (union has gotten involved many times, most recent being the great Christmas Eve compulsory annual leave saga) so being told when I have to finish up by them rather than a medical professional has left a very bitter taste in my mouth.

January 25th, 2013, 05:22 PM
Twin Mama
Quote:
Originally Posted by tela View Post
Oh that bothers me so so much!!!! When I first spoke to HR about mat leave she refrenced another lady who was recently pregnant who worked until the day before her induction. HR told me that they expect that to be what I do. PFT! I don't know whats gonna happen, its an ESTIMATED due date for a reason. I'm sorry tehy are expecting that out of you.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search