Maternity Leave

Forum: July 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree8Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To July 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 21st, 2013, 08:21 AM
Shea131's Avatar Peyton Rylee's Mommy!!
So for our working mommies, how many weeks are you planning to take for maternity leave??

I called a couple of weeks ago and got my maternity leave "claim" started. I'm going to be taking the maximum I can so 12 weeks!! I am so excited to stay home with the kiddos for 3 months. We will be saving our tax return and I get a couple bonuses at work before July plus our savings and we should financially be able to afford me to be off for that long! It's going to be an awesome summer! We are campers and I'm so pumped to be able to camp a ton this summer since I'll be home (I work weekends so camping is really hard to fit in when I'm working all the time).
OnesOnTheWay and Leanne Marie like this.

Thank you Quantum_Leap for my fabulous signature!!!
January 21st, 2013, 09:08 AM
tela's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
i'm also taking the full 12 weeks. i'll get 6 weeks at 80% pay on short-term disability (8 if i end up with a c/s, but i had DS vaginally, so i'm hoping to do so again). i've been hoarding PTO since i started here in june, so i should have 4 weeks paid at 100%, using up all of my PTO. i'll then take 2 weeks unpaid. i get a bonus in april, so hopefully that will cover the 2 week gap in pay. i'm not concerned, but i also avoid tapping into our savings account at all costs.
January 21st, 2013, 09:16 AM
#5 = the "Newbie"
I am actually on the last of my baby bonding time right now, I go back to work Sunday. To qualify for the Family Medical Leave Act again, I need to work a total of 1250 hours. Since I had went back to work from my last maternity leave in mid July, I have worked about 850 hours, so I have about 400 left to qualify. I made it working until 32 weeks last time, so I am hoping to make it at least that long which would have me working through the end of May. If I deliver mid July, that would put me off for 12 weeks after that

Barbara 38
Bill 40
Lexi 17
Jeremy 12
Dylan 9
Nathan born April 23, 2012
January 21st, 2013, 09:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tela View Post
i'm also taking the full 12 weeks. i'll get 6 weeks at 80% pay on short-term disability (8 if i end up with a c/s, but i had DS vaginally, so i'm hoping to do so again). i've been hoarding PTO since i started here in june, so i should have 4 weeks paid at 100%, using up all of my PTO. i'll then take 2 weeks unpaid. i get a bonus in april, so hopefully that will cover the 2 week gap in pay. i'm not concerned, but i also avoid tapping into our savings account at all costs.
That's so great that you will get almost all of your leave paid! I only work part-time (30 hours a week) so I don't have much PTO to work with throughout the year. Even if I took all the PTO I get June 1st it would only cover 2.5 weeks of the leave and then when I went back to work in October I wouldn't have any PTO until June 1st again. So I don't want to use my PTO for my leave so that when I go back I'll have PTO in case I need anytime off from Oct-June. And that's sooooo great you get short-term disability!

January 21st, 2013, 09:40 AM
tela's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shea131 View Post
That's so great that you will get almost all of your leave paid! I only work part-time (30 hours a week) so I don't have much PTO to work with throughout the year. Even if I took all the PTO I get June 1st it would only cover 2.5 weeks of the leave and then when I went back to work in October I wouldn't have any PTO until June 1st again. So I don't want to use my PTO for my leave so that when I go back I'll have PTO in case I need anytime off from Oct-June. And that's sooooo great you get short-term disability!
i'm thankful just to qualify for FMLA! with DS, i got pregnant when i started my post-doc. even though i was at the same institution, my clock reset when i moved from grad student to post-doc. the NIH only allows 60 calendar days leave for the birth of a child. it was HARD going back FT at 8 weeks. i'm thrilled to be home for 12 this time!

it's a predicament about PTO, isn't it?! i'm lucky that at my salary grade i get 22 days PTO each year, accrued on a rolling basis. so when i come back from maternity leave, i'll accrue a day after ~2 weeks, then another after ~2 weeks, etc. plus having a flexible DH who works from home makes it less stressful for me since i hopefully won't need to take off work if baby is sick.
Shea131 likes this.
January 21st, 2013, 09:41 AM
Veteran
I am planing on 6 week or 8 weeks 60% STD and then 2 weeks PTO I carried over 40 hours from last year I will be using and then using 2 days of PTO a week for 2 more weeks ( to cover my medical insurance cost and taking 10 weeks off. that should leave me with enough PTO to work 3 days a week for the next month my boss does not know my plan to only work Part time for the first month back yet....
January 21st, 2013, 09:55 AM
Emvious's Avatar Mom to 2+2+1 in the oven
I'm so jealous of all of you who could take this much leave! I had to be back to work at 6 weeks post partum with both of my kids...granted it was all convelescent leave and paid being military, but it was hard. I'm very thankful not to have to do that this time!

Waiting to meet my angels in heaven

Emmett Parker, 2-4-12, missed miscarriage @ 11 weeks
Wyatt Leland, 7-30-12, miscarried at 6.5 weeks

Emerson Benton, heartbeat stopped 2-4-13, born 2-5-13 @ 17w3d, 5.6oz, 9" long
January 21st, 2013, 09:55 AM
MeggysMommy's Avatar 3 + 1
When I was ready to have Megan I got 8wks paid at 66% and then used vacation/pto that I had saved for the remainder 3wks. This time I'm thankful not to have to worry.

January 21st, 2013, 10:29 AM
marriedtoamountie's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
In Canada you get a year off at 52% of your wage which I took with both of my first two children. Now I'm a SAHM, but my husband works for the Government and they offer a top up to 94% of full wages. He won't be taking the whole year off, but he's going to take a month or two He usually takes two months off in the fall of holiday time and he goes farming for his spending money for the year and then we go to Florida, this year he'll get two months off and his holiday time will be safe WOO!
.:fearless:. likes this.

January 21st, 2013, 10:40 AM
Canada mommies are soooooo lucky when it comes to maternity leave!!!

January 21st, 2013, 10:49 AM
Veteran
I get 12 weeks paid at my full salary. I might supplement that with some of my paid vacation. I have 5 weeks total this year. I took 14 weeks with both of my other pregnancies. My adoption leave was only paid for a week, but I took 11 weeks without pay.
Shea131 likes this.
January 21st, 2013, 12:00 PM
Krisnina's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I haven't really thought about it. I know I have two weeks of PTO from work, but I don't know anything about maternity leave here. I guess I should start looking into it.

January 21st, 2013, 12:02 PM
Kiam's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I can choose between 13 weeks at full pay or 26 weeks at half pay, and I can take up to 2 years off with my position secured. I am leaning towards the half pay.

I'm thinking of taking about 8 months, a year is the norm here, but financially I don't think we could hold out a year.

I will have about 150 hours of annual leave built up by then though, so I will see how that fares for me. And I get my annual paid sick leave balance replenished in May (30 hours), so that could be a bit interesting as it doesn't roll over annually, I could have a little bit of a play with that.

Last edited by Kiam; January 21st, 2013 at 12:05 PM.
January 21st, 2013, 12:37 PM
sweetie77's Avatar Mommy to 3+1
Since I have to have a c-section i will take 12weeks I will have 3 weeks of PTO by then plus STD at 60% I will also save some of my taxes to help
January 21st, 2013, 01:11 PM
Veteran
I'm in academia and the leave policies during the summer aren't really specified since my time then is paid from external grants, but I will get the entire fall semester off from teaching (paid leave). I was thinking about taking 6-8 wks mostly off except for occasional meetings and then working a slightly reduced schedule after that. I have a bunch of people that work for me and I can't just leave for a long time.
January 21st, 2013, 01:28 PM
NinjaCakes's Avatar Awesomesauce
I've no idea. It was recommended anywhere between 2 and 8 weeks. I work from home so it's not like I have to check in with anyone. I just have to block out scheduling sessions, which I think I may do for the first three weeks (unless it's someone I know won't mind me bringing baby with me). I guess I'll have to wait and see what I feel up to.

Thanks so much Claire for my awesome siggy
January 21st, 2013, 03:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaCakes View Post
I've no idea. It was recommended anywhere between 2 and 8 weeks. I work from home so it's not like I have to check in with anyone. I just have to block out scheduling sessions, which I think I may do for the first three weeks (unless it's someone I know won't mind me bringing baby with me). I guess I'll have to wait and see what I feel up to.
what kind of work from home do you do? I so wish I could work from home!!

January 21st, 2013, 03:41 PM
Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by marriedtoamountie View Post
In Canada you get a year off at 52% of your wage which I took with both of my first two children. Now I'm a SAHM, but my husband works for the Government and they offer a top up to 94% of full wages. He won't be taking the whole year off, but he's going to take a month or two He usually takes two months off in the fall of holiday time and he goes farming for his spending money for the year and then we go to Florida, this year he'll get two months off and his holiday time will be safe WOO!
I believe it's actually 55% based on a maximum salary of $47,400 per year (basically it's a MAX of $501 per week). Unfortunately, if you earn more than $47K, you actually end up with less than 55%

My work offers a 6-week mat leave top-up, so I'll be paid at 100% for that period. Then I'm hoping I can stay at home for the first 8 months, and then my husband can go on paternity leave for the remaining 4 months.

I'll have about 4 weeks of vacation time accumulated so I'll have to figure out what I want to do with that. I'm thinking I could use it once my husband goes on his paternity leave so that we can all go to Cuba together for a month to visit his family.

Last edited by Jessifer; January 21st, 2013 at 03:44 PM.
January 21st, 2013, 04:11 PM
Veteran
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessifer View Post
I believe it's actually 55% based on a maximum salary of $47,400 per year (basically it's a MAX of $501 per week). Unfortunately, if you earn more than $47K, you actually end up with less than 55%

My work offers a 6-week mat leave top-up, so I'll be paid at 100% for that period. Then I'm hoping I can stay at home for the first 8 months, and then my husband can go on paternity leave for the remaining 4 months.

I'll have about 4 weeks of vacation time accumulated so I'll have to figure out what I want to do with that. I'm thinking I could use it once my husband goes on his paternity leave so that we can all go to Cuba together for a month to visit his family.
$501 is better than the $486 Max I thought I read on a govt page! I've been counting down the months of work left as happily as I have the baby's arrival! So excited for a year off!

January 21st, 2013, 04:20 PM
Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by islandbella View Post
$501 is better than the $486 Max I thought I read on a govt page! I've been counting down the months of work left as happily as I have the baby's arrival! So excited for a year off!
I could have sworn that a few weeks ago I had also read a different amount (I was sure it said something about being based on a maximum salary of $45K). They must have updated it very recently because it says that it is effective January 1st, 2013. The info is on the government website, so it has to be official. Here's the link and it can be found under "If I am eligible to receive EI benefits, how much can I expect to receive?"

Employment Insurance Maternity and Parental Benefits

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search