What about hair dye?

Forum: July 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Mommy_2layla

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To July 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 22nd, 2013, 11:04 AM
Krisnina's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I feel really horrible about myself, and its not because I feel fat- it's because my roots are just horrendous. I did try to color my hair to match my roots before I got pregnant, but my hair lightens naturally but my roots are still dark. Anyone else dyeing their hair? What's the safest thing I can do? Could I just color my hair to match my roots?

January 22nd, 2013, 11:27 AM
doodoosmom's Avatar 4 kids?! Who's counting!
It's fine to dye your hair, just open up some windows & make sure the area is well ventilated & it's totally fine.
January 22nd, 2013, 11:27 AM
mommamuffin's Avatar Super Mommy
I've seen mixed responses about this. Generally, I'd just say don't do it. If it REALLY bothers you, look at some of the more natural ones.

http://i1359.photobucket.com/albums/q796/DLLovell/SquishyDDC_zps630852e9.gif[/IMG] [IMG]

[FONT="Garamond"][COLOR="Green"]Christina (me), Steve (SO), Isabelle & Leonardo.
January 22nd, 2013, 11:39 AM
Emvious's Avatar Mom to 2+2+1 in the oven
I'm interested as well! My hair is blond naturally, but my roots grow in so dark! And then everything lightens once it grows out so I normally highlight to break up the roots some colorwise...i haven't done it since June now and its killing me!

Waiting to meet my angels in heaven

Emmett Parker, 2-4-12, missed miscarriage @ 11 weeks
Wyatt Leland, 7-30-12, miscarried at 6.5 weeks

Emerson Benton, heartbeat stopped 2-4-13, born 2-5-13 @ 17w3d, 5.6oz, 9" long
January 22nd, 2013, 01:02 PM
Kiam's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I thought that was just an old wives tale?

Either way, if you are concerned, look into henna dyes, they are all natural, I used to henna my hair black for quite a while and there really isn't much of a smell at all, and they last as long as a semi (and they are better for your hair than chemical dyes).

January 22nd, 2013, 02:22 PM
doodoosmom's Avatar 4 kids?! Who's counting!
There is a lot of mixed info. out there, so I asked my Dr. with previous pregnancies & I've always been told it's OK. You could put a quick call in to your doctors office & get their opinion for reassurance if you're still unsure
January 22nd, 2013, 02:25 PM
#5 = the "Newbie"
I had my highlights done right before my first doctors appointment at 8 weeks. Last pregnancy I still got my highlights, just stretched it to every 4 months instead of every 3 months.

Barbara 38
Bill 40
Lexi 17
Jeremy 12
Dylan 9
Nathan born April 23, 2012
January 22nd, 2013, 04:35 PM
NinjaCakes's Avatar Awesomesauce
I've heard more often than not that you shouldn't do it, more specifically in the first tri-mester. Obviously I don't know what the right answer is?

Thanks so much Claire for my awesome siggy
January 22nd, 2013, 06:01 PM
LilSunshine's Avatar ♥ Super Moderator ♥
I haven't dyed mine yet, but I plan to in the next few weeks. I will be going to get it done with my hairdresser. I've heard it's fine at any point, but wanted to wait until I was out of the first trimester...just in case!

September 2009 @ 6 weeks May 2011 @ 11 weeks
January 22nd, 2013, 07:55 PM
Mommy_2layla's Avatar Veteran
I've been told that the only reason they say you shouldn't do it is because there haven't been any conclusive studies on it.. In my opinion, the chemicals aren't going to seep into your scalp and cause any harm because if that was the case there would be tons of deaths every year attributed tidying hair and no one would do it ... Just stay in an open ventilated area and use the same caution you would if you were handling any chemical
doodoosmom likes this.

January 22nd, 2013, 09:23 PM
.:fearless:.'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
From what I understand one of the concerns is how your actual hair will turn out. I worked in a hair salon with my first one and was constantly dying my hair.
January 22nd, 2013, 09:39 PM
Veteran
I believe as long as it does not go on the actual scalp it is relatively ok, provided youre in a well ventilated space
January 23rd, 2013, 04:41 AM
Mega Super Mommy
My MD has no problem with hair dye, so i've been doing my hair normally!

January 23rd, 2013, 04:56 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Hi..Just visiting from April DDC I think there is no adverse studies at this time, but everytime I get close to doing it, I read the ingredients and look up one or two and I saw forget it!!! I really want to, but can't bring myself to, I am too afraid of all the chemicals and I'm too afraid of how my hair will turn out...The luck I have I'll have green hair!
January 23rd, 2013, 08:45 AM
4 Boys & 4 Girls !
The dyes used some time back are different thatnow. Go to a pro and get it done and you should be fine. once in the 2nd tri I would do it. good ventilation is important.
January 23rd, 2013, 04:30 PM
Mega Super Mommy
my hair dresser will not do a full head but does allow high lights when your pregnant. I agree ask your doctor and then make your decision

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search