Letting family stay with you after baby is born?

Forum: July 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By islandbella
  • 2 Post By lhug_nar

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To July 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 25th, 2013, 09:40 AM
OnesOnTheWay's Avatar #2 Due July 19, 2013
How soon would you let your close family (parents/inlaws) stay in your home after the baby is born? (Like actually sleep there, eat there, be there 24/7-- not just "short visits")
January 25th, 2013, 09:49 AM
Shea131's Avatar Peyton Rylee's Mommy!!
I would let my mom stay right away but she doesn't need to because we live in the same town. So she will probably take a few days off from work and come to my house all day and help me when DH goes back to work but she will go home at night. And my MIL wouldn't take time off work to stay with us and I'm fine with that. I think she would be more apt to just come and want to hold baby and not really help anyways. Where as my mom will come and cook for us, clean, do laundry and whatever I need her to do.

So I say it's great help to let family stay with you if they are actually going to HELP.

Thank you Quantum_Leap for my fabulous signature!!!
January 25th, 2013, 10:04 AM
sethsgirl's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My mom will be here staying 24/7 at our house a week or 2 before I'm due and be here for probably a week after since my dad will be flyin out as soon as the baby is born and he'll be staying here too. I'm sure my sister will fly out sometime after too as well as my MIL will probably drive out sometime and they'll all be staying here. My parents did the same thing with both boys (except DS2 she was out at our house for 6 weeks before DS2 was born due to me being on bed rest).

I agree though that if they won't be help and will end up making you do more work than take care of your baby and yourself then I would say they need to wait awhile before coming to visit. You'll need lots of rest and down time and don't need to be taking care of others.

Colleen proud mommy to DS (8/2009), DS (6/2011), and DD (7/2013)

January 25th, 2013, 10:07 AM
doodoosmom's Avatar 4 kids?! Who's counting!
I'm hoping my mom will right away, she live 5 hours away so I know she's coming for the birth since it is a scheduled c-section, but I'm hoping she'll stay a little while & help out. Anyone other then my mom or sister though, I don't think I'd want staying too long because I don't want to have to entertain, cook or clean up after people.
January 25th, 2013, 11:32 AM
-erin-'s Avatar Co-Host of the May2010 PR
My sister is a teacher so she wants to come for about a month this summer while she's off, to help with DD and then the new baby. And possibly us moving too. I know she'll be a big help, but I'm so uncertain with where we'll be living and I'd want to make sure she had space and a comfy space to sleep so I don't know..

January 25th, 2013, 11:49 AM
MeggysMommy's Avatar 3 + 1
My mom came up about a week and a half after Megan was born and stayed for 2 weeks. She would have come up sooner but her and my step dad drove from Ely, NV to here so it just worked out to come a bit after.

January 25th, 2013, 01:03 PM
shannon789's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My Mom came over right after #1 was born. She drove me crazy. I want it to just be the hubs and I when we arrive from the hospital (other than short visits from friends and family). I like my space and privacy.
January 25th, 2013, 01:41 PM
Veteran
Being that this is the first grandchild on hubby's side, my MIL and FIL have already booked their flights and bless them, they have rented a condo for 2 weeks 5 min from our place. So they will come over and visit but that's it. My mom will also be down for the birth (hopefully)but won't be staying at our place either. I gotta say, I'm pretty happy with that
shannon789 and jersey_gray like this.

January 25th, 2013, 03:27 PM
lhug_nar's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to lhug_nar Send a message via MSN to lhug_nar Send a message via Yahoo to lhug_nar
Honestly, I don't want anyone coming to stay with us after baby is born. For me, it's that I want it to be me, my husband, and my kids.... I'm the kind of person who doesn't like to have extra people around with a baby cuz they drive me nuts.
OnesOnTheWay and shannon789 like this.
January 25th, 2013, 04:11 PM
Easton's Mommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My mom will probably come a couple of days before hand and stay for a day or two after then the in-laws come and stay for a couple of days too after my mom leaves. They are all really helpful so I don't mind a bit.

Thank you Vicki for my AMAZING siggy!

January 25th, 2013, 05:17 PM
Twin Mama
I don't want anyone staying with us, and we dont have the room. My mom will prevent me from bonding with my babies if she is here for too long, one of my biggest fears.

January 25th, 2013, 06:18 PM
4 Boys & 4 Girls !
I agree with the idea that its never to early for close family to come and HELP out...ya if anyone is going to come right after you had the baby are going to make things harder for you then dont allow anyone, otherwise I would take the help as early as possible. The help can do everything for you while you feed, hold take of baby and sleep.
January 26th, 2013, 06:55 AM
captivate's Avatar Sticky thoughts please...
As long as possible. I like my own space in normal times but with a new baby hell no. I like my own company especially when every spare second is cherished with a new babe.

I have 2 miracles on earth and 5 angels in heaven

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search