Bigger Car or ?

Forum: July 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree3Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To July 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 16th, 2013, 07:15 AM
getnthere's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We are in limbo for looking for a different car. Our van has 150K miles and is falling apart. We just spent over 1000 to get it fixed. I know expensive problems are coming. I work over 30 miles 1 way from home and thought better gas would be an advantage. Im so torn. I wanted a hybrid suv crossover. But Im not used to not having all the space of a van. I don't love a van. Im considering a Prius V, Hyandai santa fe?
What are you considering for a new car or used car.

February 16th, 2013, 07:52 AM
OnesOnTheWay's Avatar #2 Due July 19, 2013
Right now I have an '04 Toyota Corolla that is paid off and we're thinking of selling it and buying a Ford Explorer. I just saw a few that have a third row in the back! I really like that! We like to go on trips and the extra space would be nice.
February 16th, 2013, 08:24 AM
Easton's Mommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have a Pacifica with third row seats... Second row is bucket seats and has built in DVD player which is a life saver for my 3 year old. I think my car is perfect for two kiddos. My brother and sister-in-law have the same car and fit four kids in it the older two crawl into the back but she loves it. I don't think they are making them new anymore though... Bummer.

Thank you Vicki for my AMAZING siggy!

February 16th, 2013, 09:02 AM
4 Boys & 4 Girls !
3 weeks ago we just bought a new 2013 Honda mini van. we ordered every option it comes with and its a 7 seater. is roomy enough for 4 car seats and 1 booster seat. and 2nd row can be either bucket or 3 seats. and I love the ease of just clicking my remote when walking to it after shopping and both side doors open along with the hatch! its awesome and I was one of those moms who said I would NEVER own a mini van

Obvisiously we needed the space but its good on gas too. Its alot smoother ride than our SUV.

February 16th, 2013, 01:14 PM
NinjaCakes's Avatar Awesomesauce
Whatever someone wants to give us that has four tires and starts Our transmission is going, and I know BF wants a different car before baby comes. It just isn't going to happen though, unless someone is feeling very generous.
MeggysMommy and jersey_gray like this.

Thanks so much Claire for my awesome siggy
February 16th, 2013, 01:23 PM
Veteran
We Just got a Cr-v and I have a Ford escape this is our first baby and I will we will be good
February 16th, 2013, 01:32 PM
Kiam's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We have an 02 Ford Falcon, don't know if it's the same in the US, but here, you cannot go wrong with a Ford, all the parts are the same and if you ever need roadside assist they always have Ford parts. About two years ago our coolant hose burst and the roadside guy just whipped a new hose out of his van and replaced it on the spot, and we went on our merry way, he told us that if it were anything other than a Ford we would have had to be towed. Also, because the parts are universal across all their models, they're cheaper if anything needs to be replaced.

February 16th, 2013, 02:21 PM
Gini_3boys's Avatar Super Mommy
I have a 05 ford escape but we will definitely be getting a mini van soon so we have room for 4 kiddos. id really like a town and country

Devin - 06/29/2004 Riley - 03/01/2007 Kyler - 07/20/2010 Tanner - 07/30/2013
February 16th, 2013, 02:40 PM
-erin-'s Avatar Co-Host of the May2010 PR
I really really really don't want to get another car anytime soon, but DH's car has some issues (Jeep Liberty). His car is maybe 105-110k, mine is almost 100k, both 6 years old. He drives a lot for work so he'd like a sedan with decent gas mileage, but at the same time he also wants a truck or SUV. He'd like something large to haul stuff if needed, plus we have a small camper we need a tow hitch for. So those needs are opposite! I don't drive a lot anymore (went from a 40 mile/way commute to teleworking), but I don't want to be stuck with the big truck while he drives a sedan for work just so he gets what he wants for both cars. Not to mention I don't want to replace 2 cars at once! I drive a gas efficient small sedan now (Toyota Yaris), but it's too small for DH to sit in comfortably for a long drive. So I have no clue what we will do.

In a dream world, a car I have my eye on is a Mazda 5, except I know someone who has one and doesn't love it, so I'd need to check it out in person. For now, I can squeeze 2 kids into my car for every day use.

In DH's dream world he'd get a Ford Fusion for work, a Ford F-150 extended cab (or whatever it means with 4 doors) for "fun", and a motorcycle. He has big dreams

February 16th, 2013, 03:12 PM
Platinum Supermommy
We have a Toyota Prius and I love it! It's not the sexiest car in the world, but it is so completely practical. It makes total sense with our lifestyle because of the awesome gas mileage and it has about as much trunk space as our old suv did. Our other car is an Audi, and I love it too. It's not quite as practical but it's fun to drive (something I never thought I would say about a car as I hate driving) and it actually is big enough for our family. I do need to test out the trunk to make sure it fits a big stroller but I know the back seat is big enough for two large convertible seats. I don't see us changing cars for a while as we are very happy with our vehicles.
February 16th, 2013, 03:24 PM
LeslieRN72's Avatar Veteran
I currently have a 2002 Dodge Durango. We've been saving for a minivan. I decided on the Honda Odyssey EX-L. I'm excited about all the options that will make it easier to get in and out of. I'll probably get something in the 2010 range with 50,000 miles on it. I don't put a lot of miles on my vehicles. My Durango is over 10 years old and only has 80,000 miles.

We only buy cars we have cash for and are pre-owned. I'll have my "new to me" car next month. Yes,we are Dave Ramsey devotees!

Everybody has their own way of doing things and raising their children. No one way is better than the other. The end product will be the same no matter what path you take, and never let anyone make you feel otherwise.
February 16th, 2013, 03:50 PM
tela's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I got an 09 Honda CR-V when DS was born. Love it!!! I already have 80K miles on it (my commute prior to this year was long). But I've never had a single problem with the car. DH has an 01 VW jetta that he loves. But it doesn't have a lot of space. He wants to upgrade to a station wagon, lol. Then of course he has his old VW collection (5 yes 5 other cars/vans from the 60s-80s). Oy.
February 16th, 2013, 09:15 PM
Veteran
We bought a Ford Expedition before we got preggers. It has third row seats, so plenty of space. I wanted a true 'truck' with actual 4WD (not the AWD they call 4WD these days). I wanted space, something rugged, something practical, something that suited me, something big enough to take it if I hit a deer at night by accident. am the only Asian redneck I knoe. Haha But if I had to do it over again and knew we'd be having a third kid, I would've either bought the extended length Expedition or a used Excursion for the extra cargo space.

Gas mileage doesn't concern me. I don't commute or drive far usually.
February 17th, 2013, 05:21 AM
Veteran
The Toyota Rav 4 is great and inexpensive to lease..This is my fourth one.

Kaylee

Tommy
February 17th, 2013, 05:04 PM
Twin Mama
We just paid off my 09 Ford Escape and while I love it, it's not going to be big enough when these kids get older and have stuff and friends. We take our dog everywhere and I'm already sad she is going to be sharing some serious space with the stroller. If we get a 2nd dog, and our twins are older oh boy I'm gonna need a mini trailer to haul around things. We want one awd/4wd vehicle so I'll eventually be venturing into the land of expeditions, suburbans and yukon xls.

If you have the ability, buy bigger than you think you need right now.

February 18th, 2013, 04:38 PM
Mega Super Mommy
No plans to get a new car but any new car for us is is very old and in the $300 dollar range. We have very little money but do have the advantage of husband being a mechanic.
February 18th, 2013, 10:13 PM
getnthere's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Im thinking we will hold onto our van a bit longer and go with a Honda Pilot when we have time to test drive. I'm looking at the CRV but my heart says go bigger at this point of our lives and get over the gas guzzling. Im not opposed to a van but ours doesnt handle well.

February 18th, 2013, 11:05 PM
LadyGamer's Avatar Objection!!!
We dont' have a car right now, but we will be receiving one when baby is born

Thank you, Jaidynsmum, for the amazing siggy

February 19th, 2013, 05:26 AM
Super Mommy
Currently, my daily driver is a Jeep Wrangler with 180k miles. It's affectionately known as the dog-hauler. Several years ago, I ripped all the carpeting out and put down truck bedliner in the entire tub (best thing ever and DH has done it to his scout and his dad's beetle) and the dogs have full reign of the back cargo area. I don't even know where the back seat is at the moment. I think it's in my parents' garage, but don't quote me on that. In a perfect world, my mommy car would be a 4DR, Wrangler Unlimited and gas would be $.99/gallon. However, the Unlimiteds are still a bit on the expensive side. I've heard rumblings about a body style change coming up in the next few years, so that might possibly push the price downward some. Really, if I could get two more years out of my Jeep then we'd be good. DH has a Chrysler 300 that will work for the time being. Luckily, while he's not a mechanic, he's fairly gifted at fixing cars so he does most of the work on our cars and what he can't fix he'll take to his friends' shop and they'll help/teach him how to do it.

"Shake it up now, Sugaree. I'll meet you at the Jubilee. And if that Jubilee don't come. Maybe I'll meet you on the run."
February 19th, 2013, 09:05 AM
Shea131's Avatar Peyton Rylee's Mommy!!
I wish I could have a new vehicle but we can't afford another monthly payment right now. I have a 4dr 06 dodge stratus that works for me. I drive 35 miles one way to work and it does decent on gas and is paid for. It's pretty small though but me and 2 kids will fit fine. DH hates it because he's big and doesn't fit in it well so he is very very rarely in it. If we go places as a family we take his truck which is a 1 ton Chevy crew cab dually which we are still paying on and probably will be forever.

Thank you Quantum_Leap for my fabulous signature!!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search