Going for a natural birth

Forum: July 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By redheadcurls
  • 3 Post By OceanGirl
  • 1 Post By NinjaCakes
  • 1 Post By GranolaMamaOf3

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To July 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 18th, 2013, 04:14 PM
Super Mommy
I had no pain meds with my first but did have pitocin which was horrible, a shot of demerol with my 2nd and it didn't even do anything for the pain but made me feel very drowsy. With my last baby, I was sick with a terrible cold, hadn't slept well in days because I was coughing so bad so when I realized I was for sure in labor, I was like I can't do this, I don't want to be in labor right now so I was just set on getting an epidural. I wanted those labors that I've seen on A Baby Story. The ones where the women are laughing and talking the whole labor and the Drs come in and say you're complete and they don't feel a thing. Well, it definitely wasn't like that.

So now I've just been thinking I want to try for natural. I'm just so nervous that I'll get to the point where the pain seems unbearable and give in to drugs. I know I can do it with no pain meds as I have before but still makes me nervous. Anyone else going for no pain meds after having an epi? What are you doing to calm your fears and prepare for it? I will be honest, I'm scared as &$%! lol but I really want to do this!
February 18th, 2013, 06:31 PM
sethsgirl's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I haven't had an epi so I'm not sure what that's like but I wanted to say I hope you get the birth you want!

Colleen proud mommy to DS (8/2009), DS (6/2011), and DD (7/2013)

February 18th, 2013, 06:44 PM
mommamuffin's Avatar Super Mommy
I didn't have an epi with my daughter, but I did have a natural first birth. I remember having 2 voices arguing in my head. "Just get the ****** drugs!" "No. This is why I wanted."

It's important to make your wishes clear to your support team and your nurses from the start. I asked that they not offer it to me at all, and my mom & Steve helped protect me from nurses pushing anything on me.

I also would suggest keeping yourself open to trying different stuff. The shower didn't help me labor, but the tub was amazing. Talk with your doc ahead of time and say you want to have options to manage the labor beyond laying in bed and/or drugs.

Hope this helps!

http://i1359.photobucket.com/albums/q796/DLLovell/SquishyDDC_zps630852e9.gif[/IMG] [IMG]

[FONT="Garamond"][COLOR="Green"]Christina (me), Steve (SO), Isabelle & Leonardo.
February 19th, 2013, 07:15 AM
ninja_mommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I ended up having an epi with DD for several reasons. Being awake the full day before, giving birth the next morning and knowing I would need to be awake for the rest of the next day was a big factor. I was awake for 48 hours basically with no sleep There was also a factor of potentially being severely allergic to the anesthesia I would have been given in case of an emergency c-section. (Sister is allergic to them and it's hereditary.) Basically a life and death reaction. Didn't want to be dealing with that after having a baby with DH deployed and my family across the country.
I do want a med free birth this time. Last time I was 7cm before I was even able to get the epi (long story.) So, I know I can make it that far. I am nervous for transition and the actual pain of the baby coming out.
As corny as it sounds I think you just really need to believe in yourself. No matter how much others support you, while it helps, if you're not 100% behind yourself it will be really hard. I also agree with trying many different things to cope with the pain.

Oct '11 June '12
February 19th, 2013, 07:53 AM
redheadcurls's Avatar Veteran
this is my first pregnancy, so i haven't had an epi before, but i'm planning a natural (home birth) as well. i'm current taking a bradley method birthing class (you can also just buy the books, etc) and it's really helping teach us coping/relaxation techniques. i'm also wanting to try hypnobirthing (i think i'll just buy the cds/books rather than take the course).

my only advice is that we need to mentally and physically prepare as much as possible. our bradley teacher says to think of it as if you're training for a marathon--you can't just start the marathon without having practiced beforehand. learn and practice these coping methods every day so that they are second nature once labor begins. if you can teach yourself how to relax through the pain you'll do wonderfully! good luck!!
GranolaMamaOf3 likes this.

February 19th, 2013, 09:09 AM
4 Boys & 4 Girls !
Im a wimp with pain and Ive had all types of birthing experiences and have no different advice from the above posters, but I wish you all the best in getting your drug free birth!!
February 19th, 2013, 09:38 AM
Shea131's Avatar Peyton Rylee's Mommy!!
I don't have any advice either since I did go the epi route and plan to this time as well but I really hope you get the experience you want!!! I think if you're 100% committed to it you will make it happen!!

Thank you Quantum_Leap for my fabulous signature!!!
February 19th, 2013, 10:57 AM
marriedtoamountie's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I've had one before and I'm going natural. We've been doing a lot of practice breathing (just slow in and outs) while focusing on relaxing my body. Also a LOT of visualization of breathing the baby down, breathing through the pain, different positions and baby coming out. Really learning to relax and feel in control (not letting the pain take over my brain).

Good luck Mama, you can do it

February 19th, 2013, 04:09 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I did it natural last time and I plan to this time again. Still, I am very nervous this time around! Honestly, I didn't use any of the breathing or special techniques they taught us in the birthing class (actually, I was in active labor during my childbirth class so I guess I wasn't really paying full attention lol ). I think a combination of things helped me. One, I kept myself distracted during early labor. I was in pain, but I still left the house and carried on with normal tasks. Once things became more intense, I stayed at home. DH didn't believe I was in labor so I had to support myself alone. I just did whatever felt natural for my body. I walked a bit, then eventually, I was curled up in a ball on the bed or couch. I just moved my body into whatever position that eased some of the pain. I tried to sleep, but could not sleep through the contractions. I had not slept for 2 nights by the time I gave birth. After a while, I sat in the bath, thinking that might help a bit. Mostly, I remember being curled up on the couch with my dog. I spent most of my labor at home alone on the couch, and I think that really helped. I would definitely recommend staying home for as long as you can handle it. Eventually, I headed in to the hospital. I think the hour ride to the hospital was the hardest part and I remember yelling to dh "I don't care if this isn't real labor, I want an epidural!!" Once there, I would say to just make sure the nurses are on your side. Let them know you don't want medication and they should listen to you. Then, just trust in yourself and your body. Know that you are strong and capable and that women have been giving birth naturally for thousands of years. You can too. Then, just look inside yourself and focus. I honestly tuned everybody else out during the hardest parts. I have absolutely no idea what was going on in the room around me because I was just completely focused on the task at hand. I went completely internal throughout the process and listened to my body instead of the people around me.
You can do this. You are strong and capable and you will get the birth you want. Here's a summary of my tips.
1. Labor at home as long as possible
2. Trust in yourself and your strength
3. Communicate your wishes to your husband, doctors, nurses, and caregivers
4. Pay attention to your body and tune out the world around you
5. Mentally prepare yourself. Visualize your birth without medication.
6. Workout during pregnancy. Particularly a long labor will require great physical strength. The better shape you are in, the easier it will be. Think of it as training for the big day.
February 19th, 2013, 05:17 PM
Super Mommy
Thanks ladies! I am definitely going to stay home for as long as possible. I just think having that epidural last time really hindered my thought process for the whole experience. For my first 2 births getting an epidural wasn't even an option for me, I was too afraid of the needle in my back. But my last, I was like whatever I want pain free, I'm going for it.

So now I think that will be my biggest obstacle, knowing I got the epidural before and it took away the pain...but also came with a whole bunch of bad stuff too. So hopefully, I keep that in mind, stay strong and remember I can do this and it will be worth it in the end!
February 20th, 2013, 02:37 PM
NinjaCakes's Avatar Awesomesauce
I think the best advice has already been given here All that I would add is don't talk about it with people who won't support you in it. They'll just scare you more, bring you down, and make you doubt yourself. Have you been over to the natural birth board? I got a lot of really helpful information there. You can explore all of your options and get a lot of support.

It's my first time but I really hope to have a natural birth. What helps me when everyone around me is discouraging me is to remember what someone once said - that just when you think it's unbearable, it's almost over. Good luck!!
GranolaMamaOf3 likes this.

Thanks so much Claire for my awesome siggy
February 20th, 2013, 03:06 PM
GranolaMamaOf3's Avatar ~Heather~
You have already been given some good advice so I don't have much to add, but I would highly recommend The Bradley method childbirth classes. We did them with my second and they were awesome! You can do this mama!
marriedtoamountie likes this.

February 20th, 2013, 05:18 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I had a natural childbirth last time and am hoping to go that way this time around as well. I am very nervous to go through that kind of pain again but I am hoping it goes really fast!

February 20th, 2013, 08:24 PM
.:fearless:.'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I have had epis before and this time I am diving head first. A home birth, I won't have a choice I think you know ALMOST what to expect (i know they are all different), and I have faith you can do it again. We are women, the strongest creatures on earth
February 20th, 2013, 08:39 PM
marriedtoamountie's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
This book was AWESOME if you don't want to take the Bradley class (or aren't sure). My husband loved it as much as I did!!!

http://www.amazon.ca/Husband-Coached...ref=pd_sim_b_2

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search