Electric Breast Pump Question

Forum: July 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

View Poll Results: Which Pump Would You Buy
Medela Harmony 1 11.11%
Medela Pump In Style 6 66.67%
Medela Freestyle 1 11.11%
Ameda Purely Yours 1 11.11%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To July 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 19th, 2013, 02:06 PM
LittleMomma09's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I finally got around to calling my insurance (Cigna) and they do cover breast pumps. I can order it with in 30 days of my due date. It can not be hospital grade unless a doctor prescribes it. I can how ever get any of the following: Medela Harmony, Medela Pump In Style, Medela Freestyle, or Ameda Purely Yours. My question is which would you get if you were me and why? I am stuck between the Pump In Style and the Freestyle.

February 19th, 2013, 04:23 PM
Gini_3boys's Avatar Super Mommy
I accidentally voted harmony, I meant Pump in style. That is the only one I've used. It was a pretty good but I have nothing to compare it to other than manual pumps and of course it was tons better than that.

Devin - 06/29/2004 Riley - 03/01/2007 Kyler - 07/20/2010 Tanner - 07/30/2013
February 19th, 2013, 05:15 PM
Medela Pump in style
February 20th, 2013, 07:40 AM
-erin-'s Avatar Co-Host of the May2010 PR
I think this time I'll get an Ameda Purely Yours (if my insurance covers it). Last time I used a Medela Pump In Style and it worked great (pumping at work until a year), but think I'd prefer a closed system pump if I can.

February 20th, 2013, 07:58 AM
tela's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
i didn't vote b/c i too am torn! i had a PIS with DS. but i'm tempted by the freestyle!
February 20th, 2013, 08:15 AM
Super Mommy
My insurance only covered the Ameda, so that's what I went with. It came in the mail the other day, but I haven't really looked at it yet (yes, I'm bad), just put it in the nursery with all the other stuff. I like that it's a closed loop system. I'm worried because the reviews on it are mixed. It seems like it is either fantastic or terrible. I know that people tend to only review items on Amazon when they are super, super happy or really upset. People don't really leave middle-of-the-road review, so that probably has something to do with it.

"Shake it up now, Sugaree. I'll meet you at the Jubilee. And if that Jubilee don't come. Maybe I'll meet you on the run."
February 20th, 2013, 08:32 AM
OnesOnTheWay's Avatar #2 Due July 19, 2013
I had the pump in style with DD and I don't remember having any problems with it. It works great and I got a lot of milk. I have nothing to compare it to though as it was my first pump.
February 20th, 2013, 12:56 PM
LeslieRN72's Avatar Veteran
I have a Pump in Style that I bought used over 8 years ago.
My insurance, Aetna, now will cover the Ameda, Pump in Style Advanced, Hyegia, BPAF, and another one. I can get it within 60 days of my due date.

My question is about this new one on the market that is on the list. It just came out in October. I am seriously thinking about getting it. The name is the Melodi Advanced Breast Pump. It's made by Lucinacare. I just can't find a lot of information because it is new.

Has the Medela Pump in Style made many changes over the last 10 years, to warrant getting a new one?

I don't know if I am allowed to post links or not, but here is a link to the Melodi. Would you try it out if you were me (and it's free)?

https://www.lucinacare.com/melodiAdv...reastpump.html

Everybody has their own way of doing things and raising their children. No one way is better than the other. The end product will be the same no matter what path you take, and never let anyone make you feel otherwise.
February 20th, 2013, 01:40 PM
GranolaMamaOf3's Avatar ~Heather~
I have a Pump in style and really like it. Is the Freestyle a double or single? I have a friend who used one that looked like it and she liked it. It was super convenient to be so small, but hers was a single and I let down so string on both sides I would need a double. Also, if you are going to be pumping at work while on breaks, make sure its a double or it will take twice as long

February 20th, 2013, 02:48 PM
tela's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Leslie - I also had an older PIS (used from a family friend). The new one (PISA) has double phase expression to better stimulate letdown. Plus you can do that again halfway into your pumping session to get another letdown.

The freestyle is a double. The benefit is the size (for lugging back and forth to work) and the ability to pump hands-free. But I did the PIS hands free by placing the flanges in my shelf bra tank. Yes, I even pumped while driving a lot (great for when I had a 1 hour commute). I'm leaning toward the PISA since I can use my old parts as backup. The flanges for the freestyle are completely different.
February 20th, 2013, 05:47 PM
laur2laur's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have a 5 yr old Pump in Style I used with my son and I really liked it. I do plan to splurge and get another one so that I can keep one at work and one at home (not have to lug it to work every day). Good luck!
February 20th, 2013, 06:53 PM
bklynfinest77's Avatar Super Mommy
I had a old freestyle and loved it .. it a little more convient for me .. I have cigna to and I didnt even know they covered pumps i will definately call tomorrow to get more info

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search