Pregnant, not fat

Forum: July 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree6Likes
  • 4 Post By Hsmom85
  • 2 Post By OceanGirl

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To July 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 19th, 2013, 08:04 PM
Veteran
I've never been the type to worry much about my weight or my figure, but I'm in a stage of pregnancy right now where my body is changing rapidly. I definitely have a bump, but I'm tall and I think anyone who didn't know would just assume I'd gained weight. Does this bother anyone else? What do you do about it? This wasn't bothering me much before, but I'm at a conference this week with a bunch of people I know professionally that I only see once or twice a year. I feel like I want to tell people I have a good excuse for having a belly, but then on the other hand it also seems silly to care.
February 19th, 2013, 08:11 PM
jkgreen's Avatar Awaiting Our First Bundle
Don't worry... I swear in a couple weeks you won't be feeling that way. I swear I get bigger each day..

Just smile to yourself, you know a huge secret, they don't..

February 19th, 2013, 08:38 PM
Super Mommy
I've noticed that a hand on the belly seems to be the unofficial sign for "I'm pregnant, not fat!"
February 19th, 2013, 09:02 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Honestly, yes, it bugs me a lot. My waist is usually my favorite asset and I carry my weight in my thighs and hips. So, once my waist starts thickening, I just look heavy. Even now, I can see a huge difference in my body but the people around me can't. For example, I went into Destination Maternity the other day because I couldn't button my pants anymore and the store clerk asked me, "So, are you shopping for a gift today?" It gets pretty depressing in that 'in between' stage that seems to last forever. During my last pregnancy, I bought a bunch of t-shirts with obvious pregnancy sayings like "baby on board" or "Due in December", etc. These seemed to get the message across pretty quickly. I'll probably buy some this time too. Also, I try to just dress my new assets the best I can until my belly starts to really pop. Also, I try to remember that the people around me don't view me as 'fat' even though I may feel that way.
GranolaMamaOf3 and jkgreen like this.
February 20th, 2013, 05:18 AM
tela's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
yes, i very much felt that way in my 1st pregnancy. i have self-image issues from years of eating disorders, so that contributes greatly to my insecurities. people who knew me could tell i was pregnant by about 5 months. but no one else would have known until closer to 7 months. this time i'm huge already, so i only dealt with that "fat" feeling for the first couple months. i've found that certain styles of shirts work best for that stage. the flowy stuff just makes you look big, imo. so i try to go for more form-fitting styles that show off the actual bump. as hard as it is, try not to let it get you down. you ARE pregnant. and these weird body changes will be totally worth it. as far as the conference, will there be evening happy hours where you can blatantly have water as an easy segue into the pregnancy announcement? i was at a wedding recently and turned down champagne. everyone at the table stared at my kinda funny and i laughed and said it's no fun to be pregnant at a wedding! at least that way it can come up in a nonchalant manner so people know but you won't have to awkwardly bring attention to it.
February 20th, 2013, 06:03 AM
Super Mommy
I was already feeling fat before getting pregnant (Hey, metabolism...thanks for shutting down at 30). So now I still feel fat, but at least it's winter and I can hide under an oversized hoodie until it's a little more obvious that I'm pregnant and not just fat. What's suprised me is that I'm carrying weight in my thighs. I've never carried weight there before.

"Shake it up now, Sugaree. I'll meet you at the Jubilee. And if that Jubilee don't come. Maybe I'll meet you on the run."
February 20th, 2013, 06:50 AM
HappilyTogether's Avatar Cautiously Expecting
I feel that I am looking like I gained weight on my waistline rather than being pregnant. I've gained 12" so far on my waist, but it is sitting wide. I am feeling very self-conscious about it.
February 20th, 2013, 07:21 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Yes I can relate.
Just enjoy it while you can--this is the one time that you don't have to worry about body image and gaining weight is a good thing.
When my sister was preggers, she got a shirt that said 'I'm not fat. I'm knocked up". It was great.
I'm thinking of borrowing it. LOL

February 20th, 2013, 12:52 PM
Regular
I can TOTALLY relate. I am just now starting to show, but I still run into people at work from my old team who just sort of stare. I can tell they notice I've gained weight. Another place that has been a struggle for me to look chunky is at the gym so I bought a couple shirts that say, "Bun in the Oven" and "Team Baby" that I wear to the gym to let people know I'm pregnant. I know this stage isn't going to last long and before we know it, we'll look way pregnant and it will remove any doubt from their minds. Hang in there!
February 20th, 2013, 01:43 PM
NinjaCakes's Avatar Awesomesauce
I just got the slightest bit of a bump, but I'm too ashamed to show anyone. I definitely know what you mean; it bothers me a lot. I hate the 'perfect female body' image our society holds on to, so much.

Thanks so much Claire for my awesome siggy

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search