Cloth Diapers

Forum: July 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree6Likes
  • 3 Post By keekopeeko
  • 2 Post By MamaLemonade
  • 1 Post By laur2laur

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To July 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 1st, 2013, 03:53 PM
Krisnina's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I want to start building a stash. I think I will go with the all in ones, since it will be easier for everyone else having to change the baby...or so I think so anyway. I know different babies do better in different brands. Should I just wait until he is born to start building my stash? Or should I start purchasing multiple brands and then purchase the ones that work best?

March 1st, 2013, 04:12 PM
keekopeeko's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Pocket diapers, once stuffed, are exactly like AIOs... Cheaper, and easier to dry... Just so you know and can add confusion to your research!

March 1st, 2013, 04:40 PM
Super Mommy
I have no idea where to start with cloth diapers. I've done my research and I'm pretty sure I want to go with Happy Heinys Minis for the newborn stage and BumGenius 4.0s later on. They seem to be well liked by everyone and last a long time. They are both pocket diapers. I've been told by a few people to go with pockets, but I might buy a few AIOs so that DH won't be so intimidated changing the baby (he was against cloth at first, but has definitely jumped on the train and has been educating his friends on them!).

The only problem is that the ones I want are super expensive. Right now I'm thinking I might go with 12 HH minis and 12 BumGenius 4.0s and then buy some cheapies to fill in the blanks, buying more good diapers as time goes on. There's a company right here in town that has decent ratings and sells cheap pockets for $8 each. I'm going to wait to see what I get for gifts though...whenever anyone asks what I need I say "cloth diapers!"
March 1st, 2013, 05:20 PM
keekopeeko's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
You can always buy used as well... People churn CDs like crazy

March 1st, 2013, 06:26 PM
doodoosmom's Avatar 4 kids?! Who's counting!
I'm trying to get DH on board with Cloth diapering..so I haven't bought any yet. I watched a bunch of tutorials the other day & pockets seem cheaper but I think my hubby would prefer AIO' s so I'd probably buy both. I have no clue what brand to buy though!
March 1st, 2013, 07:26 PM
MamaLemonade's Avatar ~~Whitney~~
Just a little advice ladies

When it comes to cloth or even diapers in general, every baby is different and one brand of diaper may not fit and work on every baby, it's really better to buy a couple of multiple brands and then when you find out what works then purchase more of those & as baby grows an changes so does the diapering needs. And most one size diapers don't fit till roughly 10/12 pounds. And resale on cloth is almost if not more then 75% of original price, depending on condition.

Some places to look are:
Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com
Cloth Diapers | Best Cloth Diapers by bumGenius, Fuzzi bunz, Thirsties and GroVia
Green Mountain Diapers: Cloth diapers and diaper covers for baby
Cloth Diapers - Cloth Diaper Covers - bumGenius! - FuzziBunz
Cloth diaper swap on fb or even the co ops

& most places offer a diaper trial so check those out

Good luck mamas
.:fearless:. and mommamuffin like this.
Mommy to:C(5), M(4), T(1), awaiting #4
Married to my <3 since 8/09

March 1st, 2013, 09:16 PM
mommamuffin's Avatar Super Mommy
The cheapest route from what I understand are prefolds....but we have prefolds, fitteds, pockets, AIOs....I think that's it. And all different brands. It all boils down to the baby and personal preference. My daughter is a heavy wetter and leaks through everything! It's been very frustrating...but I know so many mamas that love their AIOs or pockets and never have leak issues. Many mamas I talk to prefer fitteds for overnight, though...

So, bottom line is I agree with Whitney that you should try a couple different kinds before settling on a huge stash.

There's also "the big swap" n fb - just request to join the group "cloth diaper swap"

http://i1359.photobucket.com/albums/q796/DLLovell/SquishyDDC_zps630852e9.gif[/IMG] [IMG]

[FONT="Garamond"][COLOR="Green"]Christina (me), Steve (SO), Isabelle & Leonardo.
March 2nd, 2013, 12:54 PM
ninja_mommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Ditto, pockets are just like AIO but better. And I am hoping our stash works well with this baby!

Oct '11 June '12
March 2nd, 2013, 03:32 PM
sethsgirl's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We only have 1 AIO an it rarely gets used because it takes forever to dry and I just like the others better. I'm not a fan of happy heinys since my kids leaked out of them no matter what. At first I thought for sure I wouldn't like prefolds and that they seemed complicated but really those are my go to diapers! I pick those over pockets. I use thirsties duo snap wraps with them and it's so easy. I also like econobums. They are cheaper and work great! Although I tend to use the thirsties with their prefolds before I use their covers since thirsties have the leg gussets and econobums don't.

If I were you I'd buy a couple of a few brand of pocket diapers, a couple diaper covers and some prefolds. And then when baby arrives decide what works best for baby and you and add from there. But I agree that you may want to look at a site like diaperswappers.com I've bought from people on there and the diapers still work great!

I also wouldn't buy a ton of laundry detergent just for cloth diapers (unless you're already using a cloth diaper friendly one) I'd buy a small anount to test first because I bought rockin' green and DS1 had a bad reaction to it so I had to give it away.

Colleen proud mommy to DS (8/2009), DS (6/2011), and DD (7/2013)

March 2nd, 2013, 08:58 PM
mommamuffin's Avatar Super Mommy
[QUOTE=sethsgirl;27155071

I also wouldn't buy a ton of laundry detergent just for cloth diapers (unless you're already using a cloth diaper friendly one) I'd buy a small anount to test first because I bought rockin' green and DS1 had a bad reaction to it so I had to give it away.[/QUOTE]

I agree if you're going to buy something specific...but you can use something like tide ultra for cloths. We use tide for Isabelle's dipes and clothes since she's sensitive to all kinds of stuff, including detergents.

It's nice to see so many cloth or cloth interested mamas!

http://i1359.photobucket.com/albums/q796/DLLovell/SquishyDDC_zps630852e9.gif[/IMG] [IMG]

[FONT="Garamond"][COLOR="Green"]Christina (me), Steve (SO), Isabelle & Leonardo.
March 3rd, 2013, 10:44 AM
.:fearless:.'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Yay for cloth! It's fun and addicting I would buy different styles/brands and so on. It all depends on the baby and what works for them. A lot of people like Alvas...I am not a fan of them because of the way they fit Jax. I have bought most of my stash used and I am doing the same for Karsyn.
March 3rd, 2013, 11:23 AM
doodoosmom's Avatar 4 kids?! Who's counting!
I started my stash! I can't wait until they get here! So far I got bum genius, alva & Kawaii..think I'll add one or two more brands just incase

Last edited by doodoosmom; March 3rd, 2013 at 03:06 PM.
March 3rd, 2013, 02:36 PM
laur2laur's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We love our cloth dipes! I agree that you should make just start out small and decide what you like. I hated prefolds and love our pocket dipes. I do not like the pockets with velcro though... snaps all the way. JM has a great cloth diaper board. Also, it takes awhile to get your laundry routine down based on your water type, washer, detergent, etc. Good luck!
mommamuffin likes this.
March 3rd, 2013, 07:52 PM
marriedtoamountie's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Applecheeks are my favorites handsdown!!! I love my Fuzzi Bunz as well. And my Kawaiis.

March 4th, 2013, 07:55 AM
momto3brazils's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Im doing softbums all in two's I may do a few of the bum genius freetime for night time.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search