Non-essential items

Forum: July 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To July 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 4th, 2013, 11:59 AM
NinjaCakes's Avatar Awesomesauce
At the urging of pretty much everyone in my family, I started looking into the registry last night. I know we'll need the help since I lost my job, but I'm still trying to stick to the essentials. I almost had to laugh at all of the superfluous products out there. Holy cow the baby companies must make a fortune on FTP's who have no idea! Anyway, I had a few questions about things and was wondering if you ladies could lend me your advice.

Breast wipes - do you really need them, or can you use something else, like soapy warm water and a washcloth?

Waterproof crib pads - I've known people who had them and people who didn't. Thoughts?

Head cradlers - Same as before, I've known people with and without.

Soft washcloths - Do you really need to pay double digits for a pack of four "baby" washcloths, or will the dollar store brand do?

Burp clothes - I would never pay these prices for something for a baby to spit up on. It seems like any old cloth would do. Should I really expect someone else to consider it?

Thanks so much Claire for my awesome siggy
March 4th, 2013, 12:10 PM
LadyGamer's Avatar Objection!!!
I look forward to all these answers and more money saving tips from any BTDTs that have any!!

Thank you, Jaidynsmum, for the amazing siggy

March 4th, 2013, 12:15 PM
Super Mommy
I never used breast wipes. In fact I think you're not supposed to use soap on your nipples for a while, if I remember right.

I used a waterproof mattress pad and a waterproof mattress. Probably overkill. I think the waterproof mattress is more effective, and I was glad to have it.

Head cradler? I don't know what that is. I propped my son up on a boppy sometimes, although that's supposedly a no-no for sleeping.

I do appreciate having small washcloths with very little border material, so they're super flexible. I think I got these at Target, and I haven't tried a dollar store brand.

I prefer super-plain, thin cloth diapers for burping and general wiping. I had one lovely burp cloth and almost never used it, because I just always grabbed from my stack of diapers.

There are my two cents. It's nice of your family to reach out -- hope you end up feeling good & ready.
March 4th, 2013, 12:23 PM
-erin-'s Avatar Co-Host of the May2010 PR
cheap Gerber prefold cloth diapers were the best burp cloths, I found.

I had a fitted mattress pad over the mattress (which was waterproof), but I also used these... I read or heard when I was pregnant last time a tip to put down a fitted sheet, then put one of these waterproof pads on it, then another sheet on top. If kiddo spits up or has a leaky diaper in the middle of the night, you just have to pull up the sheet and pad and they have a new fresh sheet ready to go with minimal work. DD didn't have too many incidents, but it gave me peace of mind of not having to put on a new sheet in the middle of the night
Amazon.com: Carters Keep Me Dry Waterproof Flannel Crib Pad , Frog/White: Baby

the other stuff... I didn't use.

March 4th, 2013, 12:33 PM
doodoosmom's Avatar 4 kids?! Who's counting!
IMO -
breast wipes: No
water proof crib pads: we used them but I wouldn't say it's a necessity
head cradlers: No.
Special wash clothes: The dollar store brand are probably fine, not sure how long they last but since you can get a whole pack for $1 it's still a better deal
Burp cloths: I've always used a receiving blanket because they cover a lot & we always had a ton, anything similar would work..doesn't have to be an actual "burp cloth"

hope that helps!
March 4th, 2013, 12:37 PM
#5 = the "Newbie"
I say if you get something like those as gifts and they make life a little easier then great! We can't afford anything fancy, so we always get by just fine with the basics like our parents had when we were kids

Barbara 38
Bill 40
Lexi 17
Jeremy 12
Dylan 9
Nathan born April 23, 2012
March 4th, 2013, 12:38 PM
sethsgirl's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I never used or bought breast wipes. But as a heads up some babies have an issue nursing if you use scented soaps or body wash and I too was told I didn't need to put soap on my nipples while still breastfeeding.

I would say if you have a waterproof mattress you probably don't need a waterproof mattress pad. Once DS1 was in a twin bed we bought a waterproof mattress pad.

Head cradles, I'm guessing you're talking about something like the snuzzler? For a carseat and or stroller? Most car seat manufactures say not to add anything extra and most carseats come with a head support. That being said sometimes a tightly rolled (we put tape around some) receiving blankets make a good head support when places between baby and the side of the car seat so that babies head doesn't flop around. We do have a snuzzler for our stroller that I used with DS2 when he was a baby. Our stroller seats lay flat so they are newborn safe but the extra support of the snuzzler was great for him.

Baby washcloths, I used and still use these on my 3 1/2 year old and 1 1/2 yea old. Target sells big packs for pretty cheap. They are soft and smaller than regular washcloths. While I wouldn't say they are a complete must have I would buy gain if I didn't have a bunch already.

Burp cloths, I bought a package of babies r us cloth diapers and used them. Very absorbable, several in a package and not to expensive. If you have a baby that is a "happy spitter" or gosh forbid your baby has reflux (I've had one baby with one and one with the other) you will be using them a lot. If you have some other wrags you want to use then I say go for it but my advice would be to have at least a handful because you'll need some with you when you go out and some to have at home and assume at least 1 or 2 will be in the wash. Make sure whatever you're using is soft of course or baby will probably get mad. I definitely wouldn't pay the money for the fancy burp wrags though or the thin ones that are only a few inches wide. If you want cute burp wrags a frien of mine sewed on some different color and themed ribbon along the shorter edges of some cheap cloth diapers and they looked cute and it's pretty cheap to do that.

Just my opinions on the questions asked. Hope it helps some!

Colleen proud mommy to DS (8/2009), DS (6/2011), and DD (7/2013)

March 4th, 2013, 12:38 PM
MamaLemonade's Avatar ~~Whitney~~
Breast wipes: not a necessity just warm water & a thin towel
will work.

Waterproof pad: I preferred just the waterproof mattress, but in my pack and play I used a waterproof pad thing and a pack and play sheet, I hated the actual pnp mattress getting wet it was a pain.

Head cradler???? Not sure what your asking.

Washcloths: as long as there super soft and not a lot of extra rough edging they will work fine. I hate the baby ones they were too thin but I did like a flour sack, my gma cut it up layered a few pieces together and sewed the edges together. Super soft and so inexpensive.

Burp cloths: cheap Ferber Prefolds or a receiving blanket
Loving my 2 munchkins & awaiting #3
Married to my <3 since 8/09

March 4th, 2013, 12:39 PM
ninja_mommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I would like to say that I loved the waterproof mattress covers. They aren't very expensive but when you're kid is wetting though their diaper or throwing up every where they are very handy. But as someone said a waterproof mattress does the trick too

Oct '11 June '12
March 4th, 2013, 03:43 PM
LeslieRN72's Avatar Veteran
No, no, no, no...

We're minimalists. We've found that less is more (as in more money for you and room for things you actually use).

You will find that all the things that people seem to tell you that they can't live without, you'll survive just fine.

Even with disposable income, I shop at Goodwill weekly. I'm the beneficiary of others impulse buys. Then I can spend my saved money on things that really matter to me
NinjaCakes likes this.

Everybody has their own way of doing things and raising their children. No one way is better than the other. The end product will be the same no matter what path you take, and never let anyone make you feel otherwise.
March 4th, 2013, 03:53 PM
mommamuffin's Avatar Super Mommy
Breast wipes - no. Never used them.

Waterproof crib pads - yes. When your kid pukes everywhere and their mattress is protected at 4am so you can try to get them back to bed, you appreciate it.

Head cradlers - I read you aren't supposed to use them in the carsest...or anything the seat doesn't come with.

Soft washcloths - It depends. I have a couple expensive soft ones, the rest are cheapo 99 cent ones. O Kendall to avoid the sucky rough ones and grab the soft ones every time.

Burp clothes - they were great to toss on DD when it was hot out but I didn't want people all over her. And my god kids were/are spitteruppers and we went trout TONS of them with them. Definitely worth it in my book.

Every kid is different and you never know what kind of kid s/he will be so I think it's best to be prepared!

http://i1359.photobucket.com/albums/q796/DLLovell/SquishyDDC_zps630852e9.gif[/IMG] [IMG]

[FONT="Garamond"][COLOR="Green"]Christina (me), Steve (SO), Isabelle & Leonardo.
March 4th, 2013, 05:12 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Breast wipes - No. Honestly, I've never even heard of these. You will, however, need some kind of cream or ointment to prevent and heal cracked nipples. The most popular seems to be Lansinoh. I am using something called 'Boobease' because it is safer for baby.

Waterproof crib pads - No... but there is a caveat. Make sure to purchase a mattress that is waterproof itself. Our crib and bassinet mattress were 100% waterproof so there was no need for additional pads. However, baby will have diaper blowouts and all kinds of bodily fluids will end up all over the bed multiple times a day. So, the mattress should be waterproof in some capacity. I remember having days where we changed the sheets 4 times a day, but the mattress was waterproof so we didn't have to worry.

Head cradlers - No. Look for a carseat with adequate head and neck support for a tiny newborn.

Soft washcloths - No. It really doesn't matter what kind of washcloth you use. You can use some you already have.

Burp clothes- No. You can pretty much use anything. Plain, cheap cloth diapers seem to work the best but you can also use old rags, towels, old t-shirts that you aren't going to wear again, whatever.

As you continue shopping, you'll find all kinds of interesting and completely useless baby products out there. You will also probably discover a few items that you never thought of that will become indispensable to you.
March 4th, 2013, 05:16 PM
NinjaCakes's Avatar Awesomesauce
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeslieRN72 View Post
We've found that less is more (as in more money for you and room for things you actually use).
My thoughts exactly. I am a frugal person. My eyes were probably bugged out at the prices of socks and bibs. I refuse to (or ask anyone to) pay for a "diaper pail" or liners when I can pick up a $1 trash can at dollar general and use the million plastic sacks we have left over from grocery shopping. Some of the products out there just make me laugh. In 5+ years of providing child care I have never used or seen a purpose for things like a wipes warmer.

You were all a big help, thank you
MeggysMommy likes this.

Thanks so much Claire for my awesome siggy
March 4th, 2013, 07:42 PM
.:fearless:.'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaCakes View Post
At the urging of pretty much everyone in my family, I started looking into the registry last night. I know we'll need the help since I lost my job, but I'm still trying to stick to the essentials. I almost had to laugh at all of the superfluous products out there. Holy cow the baby companies must make a fortune on FTP's who have no idea! Anyway, I had a few questions about things and was wondering if you ladies could lend me your advice.

Breast wipes - do you really need them, or can you use something else, like soapy warm water and a washcloth?

Waterproof crib pads - I've known people who had them and people who didn't. Thoughts?

Head cradlers - Same as before, I've known people with and without.

Soft washcloths - Do you really need to pay double digits for a pack of four "baby" washcloths, or will the dollar store brand do?

Burp clothes - I would never pay these prices for something for a baby to spit up on. It seems like any old cloth would do. Should I really expect someone else to consider it?

haha! There are so many items that I go...what the....!?

I never even knew there were breast wipes. Um, I just used my burp rag to dry me off before I put my breast away and used my normal stuff in the shower.

I have always used a waterproof mattress cover on my crib mattress. They really aren't much, less than $10 usually.

Head cradlers, are those those head support things for car seats? If so, those should NOT be used and only use what comes with your car seat. Any other product added on is a big no no. If baby needs more support, a rolled up receiving blanket works great.

Dude...I buy the 4 pack of cheap wash cloths at walmart...they are like $1 and I love them haha

Burp cloths...I used the gerber flat cloth diapers. Super cheap and absorbent and SOFT as well as big. I have also used random receiving blankets too.
March 4th, 2013, 08:50 PM
Kiam's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I don't know what half those items are (is a breast wipe moist? Dry? Chocolate flavoured?)

Meanwhile, if your cot mattress isn't waterproof then a mattress protector is a good idea, I don't know what climate is like where you are but we didn't have one on our old mattress and one humid summer and there was mould galore. Learned my lesson, it's much cheaper to buy a protector than a new mattress.

March 5th, 2013, 06:34 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I've never used any of those things with the exception of the face cloths and burp blankets. My baby was a drooler! That being said, people were eager to give me all their old baby blankets so I really don't suggest going out and spending lots on new blankets. They are just going to be used to wipe up spit up! LOL

March 5th, 2013, 07:05 AM
MeggysMommy's Avatar 3 + 1
I actually thought all crib mattresses were waterproof? Aren't they basically if they have like a "plastic" type look to the outside? The waterproof pads were a joke for us but I don't know that I ever used them properly either. We were given so many receiving blankets that we just used those and I never thought twice about buying burp cloths. Though my dad did say those make good car washing rags.

March 5th, 2013, 03:38 PM
Mega Super Mommy
the other ladies gave you great advice

March 5th, 2013, 04:13 PM
Veteran
I think it depends on the person. I am a no fuss pack lite kinda person. I dont use breast wipes (however lanolin is a must for sensative nipples) I have the extra head supports for the carseat just because I dont like their little heas falling, washcloths yeah they use what the rest of the family uses, Waterproof bed pad work better than the sheet, you can lie it on top and wash and wash and return int he same day with out have to take apart the whole bed. Burp cloths I used a receiving blanket to burp them, makes a nice lite summer blanket to.

Have fun shopping!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search