Baby NOT sleeping in parent's bedroom?

Forum: July 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree5Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To July 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 6th, 2013, 01:30 PM
Anyone else putting baby in a crib, in the "kid room" straight away? Last time around, our son slept in our room in an Amby, and then his crib for the first 6 months or so. This time around, I decided to set up the crib in the room baby will be sharing with his brother, and have him sleep in there from the get-go. Our room is mere feet away, and I have the monitor of course. But I guess I'm looking for validation that this is OK, since it seems the popular thing to do to have baby in the parents room to start off. This decision is two-fold... accommodating the space constraints we have, as well as a desire for our room to stay our personal piece of space. Thoughts? Opinions?
March 6th, 2013, 01:41 PM
Easton's Mommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Baby will be sleeping in our room for about a month just because I will be having a c-section and nursing DH helps get the baby. Once I feel better we move baby into their own room and crib.

Thank you Vicki for my AMAZING siggy!

March 6th, 2013, 01:59 PM
captivate's Avatar Sticky thoughts please...
I think with lifestyles and long working hours and one parent having to get up early having the baby in another room is a current tred for certain families.

Me,Serenity needs her sleep for her schooling.. plus I like to have baby near me to check on them.. there was many times when Serenity was younger that I proded her to make sure she was ok lol.

I think its ok to have the baby in their own room though.

I have 2 miracles on earth and 5 angels in heaven

March 6th, 2013, 02:22 PM
Gini_3boys's Avatar Super Mommy
The baby will definitely be in the room with me, in fact in bed with me also. My 2 1/2 yr old still sleeps with us and I wouldn't have it any other way. I feel very comfortable with them so close to me when they are little and I think they feel it too All my kids have been great sleepers from the get go and I totally think it's from feeling close and safe next to mama through the night.

Devin - 06/29/2004 Riley - 03/01/2007 Kyler - 07/20/2010 Tanner - 07/30/2013
March 6th, 2013, 03:09 PM
NinjaCakes's Avatar Awesomesauce
I don't see having baby in the other room being a bad thing. There are no rights or wrongs when it comes to this, only what you like and what works best for you. Do as you will

Thanks so much Claire for my awesome siggy
March 6th, 2013, 03:38 PM
HappilyTogether's Avatar Super Mommy
We would have baby sleep in his own room, if it were completed by that time, but it won't even be started due to current financial issues. So, since we have a small bedroom, we will have baby in our ginormous closet/dressing room, which is basically a separate room.
March 6th, 2013, 04:29 PM
lhug_nar's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to lhug_nar Send a message via MSN to lhug_nar Send a message via Yahoo to lhug_nar
You have to do what's best for you and your family. If that means having baby in another room, then do that. There are no rights or wrongs with this.

For us because we have kids in the other two bedrooms in our house already and I'll be nursing, the baby will be in our room. It's just more convenient for us.
March 6th, 2013, 04:38 PM
keekopeeko's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Oh I want an amby! my first went right to her own room., and looking back I regret that to be honest.. But that's just how it was for me

March 6th, 2013, 05:41 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Do whatever you think is right! You are the Mom!
I personally thought I would put baby in the room right away (I did not picture myself as a co-sleeper at all) but when my first was born--out of my own sanity, I put the bassinet in my room so that I didn't have to keep getting up. I also found myself sleeping with her beside me so that I could nurse and sleep. It is so exhausting! Any bit helps lol

March 6th, 2013, 06:16 PM
OnesOnTheWay's Avatar #2 Due July 19, 2013
Baby will be in their own room from the start!! I will probably do a bassinet or something more "snuggly" but still in her room. Then I will do naps in her crib during the day.

Of course.. this is what is "planned".. lol..

My 5 year old DD was never in our bed! Out of all her friends I think she is one of the very few who has never had a problem sleeping in her own bed! It's because she's been in her room from the start. Never had to worry about "transitioning"... Works best for our family.
March 6th, 2013, 06:26 PM
Super Mommy
Baby will be in a crib in his or her room from the start. We have a really small house and baby will be right across the hall. There are a number of reasons why we're doing it. I understand why people have baby in with them, but it's not something that would work for us!
OnesOnTheWay likes this.
March 6th, 2013, 07:02 PM
LeslieRN72's Avatar Veteran
Our boys have always gone in their own rooms. We like keeping our bedroom just for us. At nighttime when we get up with the baby, the other person doesn't get disturbed. That's our personal preference though. We love our boys, but we keep our personal space in an effort to make sure our marriage comes first.

Everybody has their own way of doing things and raising their children. No one way is better than the other. The end product will be the same no matter what path you take, and never let anyone make you feel otherwise.
March 6th, 2013, 07:09 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I don't think there is necessarily a 'right' or 'wrong' answer to this, just whatever works for your family and your child. For us, baby will definitely be sleeping in a bassinet next to my bed for at least 6 months and probably longer. Honestly, I can't imagine having to get up in the middle of the night and walk to another room for feedings. I would be so sleep deprived. Not worth it to me. Plus, I just feel better having the baby right next to me so I can see them throughout the night. I think it is better for the baby at that age too.
I may set up the crib elsewhere for naps during the day though so baby gets used to sleeping on his own a bit.
March 6th, 2013, 07:25 PM
.:fearless:.'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I always say, whatever works for you and your family

My first baby went to his room right away, the others have all been with me and so will Karsyn. My kids now all have to share rooms, so I can't put a newborn in with an older sibling that needs sleep for school and such
March 7th, 2013, 05:22 AM
tela's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
DS went straight to his crib in the nursery and so will this boy. i do not co-sleep. and i EBF DS (he woke every 2-3 hours until 14 months!!!) and nursed him until he self-weaned at 26 months. you need to do what works best for your family, and don't let anyone else make you feel badly about it.
March 7th, 2013, 05:48 AM
Super Mommy
Oh, please feel validated! Our choice to have baby in our room is about us, not baby. We only have 2 bedrooms and don't want to wake up DS1 with baby's crying, and I don't want to walk too far for night nursing.
March 7th, 2013, 06:33 AM
jkgreen's Avatar Awaiting Our First Bundle
I'm planning on my baby boy sleeping in his own room. Granted, it is right across the room. My hubby gets up at 4:30am to go to work, so I don't want to wake him. I personally think that I will enjoy my alone time when the house is quiet. Plus, I have an extremely comfy chair in there so we actually might pass out in there!! :O

March 7th, 2013, 06:39 AM
TerriLF's Avatar Super Mommy
I will be having a csection and nursing as well so it is just easier to have the baby in the room with us at night for those night feedings and all. All the kids will have either own rooms but I'm not sure I would put the baby in the other kids room at the beginning just because the baby will be waking the kids up so much at first.

I had a csection and nursed my DD and we ended up moving her to her room after the first week because she was constantly making noises in her sleep and keeping us up and my husband had to get his rest for work...I guess we will be playing it by ear really with the plan to keep baby in our room until he is sleeping through the night better.
March 7th, 2013, 08:20 AM
MeggysMommy's Avatar 3 + 1
Our plan is probably bassinet next to the bed for maybe a few weeks but she will be sharing with Megan so I'm not sure how all that will work.

March 7th, 2013, 08:27 AM
Shea131's Avatar Peyton Rylee's Mommy!!
I don't really have a plan. Baby will probably be in our room until he/she sleeps through the night so DD doesn't get woken up (they are sharing). However, if they weren't sharing baby would probably go to its own room right away.

Thank you Quantum_Leap for my fabulous signature!!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search