Midwife appointment vent!

Forum: July 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To July 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 8th, 2013, 02:47 PM
Super Mommy
UPDATE - I finally got my appointment this morning. Baby is fine, measurements are perfectly normal. He's not completely breach right now - he's sort of lying diagonally but my midwife says at this stage he can change positions several times so we are not concerned about that right now. Since I'm O- and my husband is O+, arrangements will be made for my first RhoGAM shot in a few weeks. I'm almost 24 weeks right now so I'll also be doing the glucose tolerance test at my next appointment.

I pointed out to my midwife the issues I was having with my appointments. The problem is that I really don't like to complain and I don't like confrontations, so I downplayed it (I hate when I do that!). However, when I went to the washroom, my husband apparently confided in her that I was upset about it. My midwife was quite concerned that I had gone 6 weeks without an appointment. She says that since by next appointment I'll be starting my third trimester, it's very important that my appointments not get delayed like that (especially when it comes to my RoGHAM shot and glucose test). She says if it happens again, I need to stress that I have to be seen ASAP, and to page her if I am having any problems. It was reassuring. Anyway, hoping that everything that happened these last two weeks has just been a strange fluke and keeping my fingers crossed that things will go smoothly from this point forward.

So far, things have been going pretty well with my midwife. I see her at a clinic where there are several midwives present. I have a primary midwife and a secondary one as a back-up.

I originally had an appointment on March 1st that had been booked a month in advance. They called me two weeks ago to tell me that they had accidentally scheduled me for an appointment while my primary midwife was still on vacation. Ok fine, reschedule with my secondary midwife for March 4th in the afternoon.

Morning of March 4th, I get a call saying that my appointment had to be cancelled because the midwife had to attend a delivery. Ok sure, no problem. Reschedule for the afternoon of March 8th, had to move some things around with my employer to get the afternoon off.

This morning, I get another phone call saying my appointment has to be cancelled again because my midwife is attending another delivery and that I had to reschedule for Monday morning! I explained to them that it was the THIRD time rescheduling an appointment, it's getting quite difficult to constantly shuffle things around, so could they please guarantee that I'll be able to see SOMEONE (anyone! don't care WHICH midwife I see) on Monday morning. Well apparently they can offer no such guarantee. What the hell!

Now, I am usually a pretty laid back person and I consider myself fairly accommodating. And yes, I understand that a midwife's priority is to attend a delivery. In fact, I don't blame the midwife at all since it's not her fault - but I do blame the clinic. I find it totally unacceptable that this is now the fourth time I've had to set a date for this appointment. If a midwife is not available to see her patients due to a delivery, shouldn't the clinic have some kind of "floater" midwife in place to take that person's appointments for the day, rather than making the person reschedule again and again?

I don't know if it's the hormones that are making me blow this totally out of proportion, but I am so angry right now. If my appointment gets cancelled again on Monday, I am going to blow a gasket!

Last edited by Jessifer; March 11th, 2013 at 08:41 AM.
March 8th, 2013, 02:55 PM
Shea131's Avatar Peyton Rylee's Mommy!!
I would be extremely frustrated!!!!

Thank you Quantum_Leap for my fabulous signature!!!
March 8th, 2013, 03:15 PM
mommamuffin's Avatar Super Mommy
Not that you'd necessarily want to, but could you at least see someone? Even if she isn't one of YOUR midwives?

http://i1359.photobucket.com/albums/q796/DLLovell/SquishyDDC_zps630852e9.gif[/IMG] [IMG]

[FONT="Garamond"][COLOR="Green"]Christina (me), Steve (SO), Isabelle & Leonardo.
March 8th, 2013, 03:32 PM
sethsgirl's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I would be mad too! They should at least be able to squeeze some patients in with another midwife or doctor instead of rescheduling every time.

Colleen proud mommy to DS (8/2009), DS (6/2011), and DD (7/2013)

March 8th, 2013, 04:15 PM
Super Mommy
The thing that really bothers me if that I am supposed to have an appointment every 4 weeks, but now we are going on 6 weeks without an appointment. I had my anatomical scan in early February and I don't even know the results! (although I'm assuming they would have called me if there were a problem).

When I talked to the clinic, the only solution they came up with was the maybe they could call my midwife to schedule something for me during the weekend. I declined because A) It's not her fault she had to cancel my appointment and she shouldn't have to make up for it during her day off; B) A delivery could potentially come up on that day anyways so I don't want to have to waste my weekend making plans around something which may or may not happen.

I'm tired, I feel huge, I am buried under a mountain of files at my cubicle, I'm having the heartburn from hell, and I am incredibly grumpy over what happened today... I definitely do not need any further aggravation on my hard-earned weekend!
March 8th, 2013, 04:36 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I would definitely call that unacceptable performance on the clinic's part.
March 8th, 2013, 07:56 PM
lhug_nar's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to lhug_nar Send a message via MSN to lhug_nar Send a message via Yahoo to lhug_nar
It's definitely unacceptable. I'd blow a gasket too if they cancel again.
March 9th, 2013, 07:24 AM
Veteran
Uh, this doesn't sound like hormones, this sounds like a totally normal reaction.

I agree it's not the midwives who are at fault, but the practice shouldn't let this happen. I think you have every right to be annoyed. It's a pain to rearrange your schedule and it's not good practice for them to let you go 6 weeks. I'd be really annoyed and I'm glad you called them on it.
March 9th, 2013, 07:37 AM
MeggysMommy's Avatar 3 + 1
I agree with what the other ladies have said.

March 9th, 2013, 10:03 AM
4 Boys & 4 Girls !
Very Unacceptable!!! I dont even know what to say.....
March 9th, 2013, 03:12 PM
Super Mommy
Thanks ladies! We'll see how it goes on Monday. I will definitely bring up my concerns with my midwife when I see her. It's very frustrating because I really do want a midwife there for the childbirth part, but I do not want to have to deal with such nonsense for my follow-ups. I cannot switch to a different midwifery practice as it is too late in my pregnancy - the waiting lists are much too long here in Canada.

Worst-case scenario, I can start seeing my family physician for the rest of my pregnancy as he would most certainly agree to it, but I really do not want to resort to that. I feel so stuck.
March 9th, 2013, 03:49 PM
Pleione's Avatar Momtographer
If a midwife is not available to see her patients due to a delivery, shouldn't the clinic have some kind of "floater" midwife in place to take that person's appointments for the day, rather than making the person reschedule again and again?

They should, yes. Maybe its a small clinic? This sounds really frustrating. I don't blame you one bit for feeling upset. I hope this gets resolved soon.
March 11th, 2013, 08:42 AM
Super Mommy
Update at the top...
March 11th, 2013, 08:53 PM
mommamuffin's Avatar Super Mommy
Glad to hear your midwife was on your side! Hopefully things go more smoothly from here on out!

http://i1359.photobucket.com/albums/q796/DLLovell/SquishyDDC_zps630852e9.gif[/IMG] [IMG]

[FONT="Garamond"][COLOR="Green"]Christina (me), Steve (SO), Isabelle & Leonardo.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search