fetal head size measuring small

Forum: July 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By OnesOnTheWay
  • 1 Post By MeggysMommy
  • 1 Post By pearlica
  • 1 Post By getnthere
  • 1 Post By appletree
  • 1 Post By captivate

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To July 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 16th, 2013, 04:04 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I had my ob appointment yesterday and the doctor let me know that the perinatologist noted the head size was a bit small for gestational age. The head size was in the 10th percentile while other body parts were closer to 27%.the doctor said these measurements weren't enough to really worry about. Some people just have smaller heads... but of course I am now panicking. Google is never a good tool in these instances and I read all about microcephaly and severe mental retardation.the chances of this are still very, very low, but of course it's all I can think about now. We will be doing a follow-up ultrasound at 28 weeks to take a closer look but that means I have almost 8 weeks to wait and wonder!
Has anyone experienced anything similar with positive results? I've read all the horror stories but I'd love to hear some positive outcomes.
March 16th, 2013, 05:11 PM
OnesOnTheWay's Avatar #2 Due July 19, 2013
How accurate are measurements at this age? I don't have any experiences to share with you but I know it's easier said than done.. but try not to worry. I know my daughter's body parts were all measuring at very different gestational ages.
OceanGirl likes this.
March 16th, 2013, 05:31 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Honestly, I'm not sure how accurate measurements are. I remember the last ultrasound with dd they told me she wad 5 1/2 lbs but she was born a week later at just over 5 lbs. So it can definitely be wrong. But... this is a high risk perinatologist with top of the line equipment. I have more faith in the accuracy of his measurements.
I am feeling a little better right now though. I pulled out dd's baby book and saw her head measurements at 6 mnths were in the 10th percentile. I can't find earlier measurements but assume vthey are similar. Even with her being born small, we almost couldn't get her out vaginally. So maybe my anatomy is just made for smaller babies? That's what I'm hoping at least. I still don't think I'll be able to relax until my next ultrasound though.
March 16th, 2013, 06:10 PM
MeggysMommy's Avatar 3 + 1
Megan's head measured almost 2wks smaller than the rest of her body in utero and she actually did measure small until like a year and a half. There was a 2 month time her head didn't grow at all but then right before we were gonna have it looked at there was a difference in growth. Her body measurements were always 80% and above and her head hovered in the 10% for what felt like forever.
OceanGirl likes this.

March 16th, 2013, 08:01 PM
pearlica's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
ugh been there. Tegan's head measured 3 weeks behind at our 20 week ultrasound. They didnt think it was a big deal but of course I frantically hit up google and read all the frightening reports. She came out absolutely fine and the worry was for nothing. She was just a smaller baby overall and its so hard to make accurate measurements. I wouldnt worry.
OceanGirl likes this.
March 16th, 2013, 09:13 PM
getnthere's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Our neighbors baby was born with a smaller head and they never would allow a test officially to call her microcephaly. My dad who's in medicine met her one time at the age of 2 and thought she did have some physical characteristics. She was one of the smartest most talkative 2 year olds I have known. She is very normal we moved away around her 3rd birthday and I have seen pictures shes adorable and probably microcephalic but totally doing well in 3 rd grade reading and so normal.
OceanGirl likes this.

March 17th, 2013, 06:56 PM
Veteran
i am far from a doctor so i will simply tell u my experience... My DS who is know 14 months was born at 32 weeks. At 26 weeks i had an ultrasound and was told that my son was IUGR (Intrauterine Growth Restriction). Basically what this means is that compared to the norm my DS fell in less then the 10th percentile. He is a very healthy little boy now so if that is where u end up dont dispair... This pregnancy they are following me very closely. I have ultrasounds every 2 weeks to check the growth etc... At 20 weeks my little one`s head size measures less that 5th percentile so that got me worried but my OB assured me at this point the baby is still to small to determine what the actual size will be... She explained to me that until baby is btw 24-28 wks they wont get an accurate weight of the baby so not to look at every number on the Ultrasound cause at ths point it isnt telling much. Infact similar to you the other measurement were btw 15-25th percentile and she was happy with the readings... Its easy for me to say dont worry, but until your doctor raises a red flag id try not to worry too much....
July 3rd, 2013, 03:20 AM
Hi

I just wanted to try and put your mind at rest by telling you my experience,

we went for our 20 week 1 day scan and the HC was 159 and was below the 5th, the fl and ac were much higher but below the 50th, we arranged for a followup scan 2 weeks later, ofcorse i panicked and googled myself with worry and although many forums said that it will be fine, i almost convinced myself that my baby would have a problem and i didnt really enjoy the pregnancy with worrying.

2 weeks later the HC measured 185 and was on the exact same line as the 1st scan at around the 4th centile, the nurse didnt seem worried and it eased my concern slightly,

Fast forward 4 months and on the 21st June our daughter was born and her head was 32cm again on the 3rd/4th centile and she is just fine weighing it at 6lbs 1oz, i measured her hc yesterday and its gone up to 33cm so i think she will just stay on the 3 - 5th centile line and have a slightly smaller head all her life.

I know that my words probably wont help you but i signed up to this forum today just so i could tell you that all the worrying i did and you are doing is unnecessary,

the head is the hardest thing to accurately scan,

please PM me if you want a chat

thanks
July 3rd, 2013, 03:37 AM
captivate's Avatar Sticky thoughts please...
Serenitys head was in the 10 percentile at birth and she is now 8 years old and top of her class. Science is just that.. science.. especially when it comes to measuring things by the mm inside a person. Dont worry. unless its 5th percentile and below its still considered average. x

I have 2 miracles on earth and 5 angels in heaven

July 3rd, 2013, 10:55 PM
Veteran
I was in this position about 5 weeks ago. Posted it on here with some response with those who too had similar experiences.
I spent a LOT of time googling...

I spent time reading about different measurement techniques, ranges/standards.
Did you know, if you looked at a few different standards you'd probably find your LO was in the 50th percentile?

they care when theyre in the >2 percentile, 10th is nothing to worry about...
mine was in the 8th ish.
dr could feel bubs head today and could clearly tell it wasnt small
asymmetry is normal, growth spurts happen

im sure it will be fine.

At my 33 week scan, Our little ones head measuring 30.5weeks at 33 weeks. His legs measuring at 35 weeks.... before this time at 20 weeks he was on target.

Fact is. They do have growth spurts, some sonographers measure not so accurate either. I looked at my HC /BPD measurements and the elipse is supposed to be around the hard bone.. this sonographer literally had measurements for the HC that were like 5mm off. It makes a difference..
captivate likes this.
July 4th, 2013, 12:22 AM
captivate's Avatar Sticky thoughts please...
Yeah also if you look at the difference between Uk and US growth charts and the one where you can put in your height, weight and previous childrens weights it gives you a totally different percentile every time.
appletree likes this.

I have 2 miracles on earth and 5 angels in heaven

July 27th, 2013, 05:42 AM
Hello. I'm 34 weeks along. I went on for a 3rd trimester ultrasound on Thursday to follow up on a knot thing that came up at the 20 week ultrasound. The tech called the Dr in who told us the head was measuring very small a at 274 mm in circumference she the diameter was 75 mm. We wen back yesterday and the measurements changed to 283 and 77 respectively which are 3 weeks behind schedule. To be considered small but normal we need a diameter of at least 80 she a circumference of 300. We are going in for a fetal MRI on Monday to determine if the baby's brain is damaged. Has anyone ou there had something lie this happen? We are terrified of what the MRI will reveal. My husband she I feared sol the genetic hurdles and the pregnancy has been uneventful. The circumference is 3.5 standard deviations away from the mean which according to the literature bodes for a horrific outcome. Can someone please share their outcome in a similar situation? Thank you!!!
July 29th, 2013, 04:09 PM
Veteran
Will update this here too..
My LO was measuring 3 weeks behind in hc... he was in the 4TH percentile....

he was born HC 34.5cm..
totally NORMAL.
August 8th, 2013, 06:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamar0930 View Post
Hello. I'm 34 weeks along. I went on for a 3rd trimester ultrasound on Thursday to follow up on a knot thing that came up at the 20 week ultrasound. The tech called the Dr in who told us the head was measuring very small a at 274 mm in circumference she the diameter was 75 mm. We wen back yesterday and the measurements changed to 283 and 77 respectively which are 3 weeks behind schedule. To be considered small but normal we need a diameter of at least 80 she a circumference of 300. We are going in for a fetal MRI on Monday to determine if the baby's brain is damaged. Has anyone ou there had something lie this happen? We are terrified of what the MRI will reveal. My husband she I feared sol the genetic hurdles and the pregnancy has been uneventful. The circumference is 3.5 standard deviations away from the mean which according to the literature bodes for a horrific outcome. Can someone please share their outcome in a similar situation? Thank you!!!

read my post above, our daughter always showed a small HC and she came out HC 32cm (4th centile) and is fine, you say that your HC is 283mm on week 34? that means that he/she has 6+ weeks to only grow 4 extra cm to be 32cm.

283 at 34 weeks isnt that small, ours was smaller!

what were the FL and AC?

Last edited by adlufc1141; August 12th, 2013 at 05:57 AM.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search