Anyone BFing but NOT buying an electric pump?

Forum: July 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree10Likes
  • 1 Post By Kiam
  • 1 Post By LadyGamer
  • 1 Post By offthewallfilms
  • 1 Post By sethsgirl
  • 2 Post By .:fearless:.
  • 1 Post By tela
  • 1 Post By Shea131
  • 1 Post By mommytomattea
  • 1 Post By captivate

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To July 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 17th, 2013, 05:40 PM
OnesOnTheWay's Avatar #2 Due July 19, 2013
Just curious if anyone is breast feeding but have no plans to buy an electric pump?

I thought I was going to get one but looking back with my daughter.. I thought a pump would make life easier for me so DH could feed a bottle once in awhile. But I don't think I realized it's not a good idea to introduce a bottle until BFing has been established. So I found myself pumping or BFing 24/7 and I think it contributed to my quitting.

So this time, since I will be home 24/7, thinking I should avoid buying a pump so it's one less thing I have to worry about.
March 17th, 2013, 05:54 PM
Kiam's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Probably not immediately. If I am at a point where I think "gee I think I could really use one now" thenIwill buy one. Not willing to fork out that amount on something I may or may not use upfront.
OnesOnTheWay likes this.

March 17th, 2013, 06:34 PM
LadyGamer's Avatar Objection!!!
I am going to be waiting until I need it, or renting one in the beginning and buying if I like it. We'll see, but not plans to buy up front.
OnesOnTheWay likes this.

Thank you, Jaidynsmum, for the amazing siggy

March 17th, 2013, 06:36 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I didn't use the pump until she was about 6 months and I returned to work. I found the manual ones easier. The electric ones just creeped me out. LOL
I pumped from 6 months to 11 months while DH stayed home with the baby and I worked.
OnesOnTheWay likes this.

March 17th, 2013, 06:48 PM
sethsgirl's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I have one but I don't know if it still works and if it doesn't then I won't be buying another, I used my pump maybe 4 or 5 times with DS2 and he breastfeed for 14 months. I don't think you need one unless you have to go back to work and still want to breastfeed. You can hand express if you need to, it takes some practice but I've found it expresses more than pumping does.
OnesOnTheWay likes this.

Colleen proud mommy to DS (8/2009), DS (6/2011), and DD (7/2013)

March 17th, 2013, 07:04 PM
Super Mommy
With DS1 I had only a manual pump at first. I thought it was a real pain to use, but eventually it was reassuring to me to have some milk on hand for those times when I wanted DH to be able to give him a bottle. There came a point when I decided to get an electric pump (road trip, I think?), and for me it was so much easier to use that I wished I had bought it much earlier.

I didn't do this with DS1... but one thing you can do is pump right after your baby finishes nursing, to help boost your milk supply (since demand creates supply). This is done early in breastfeeding, even when you wouldn't be giving the LO a bottle. I might try this approach with the new baby. I think it might help me be more confident about trying other calming measures instead of assuming every cry is for breastfeeding (I went a little nutso with BFing the first time). Since this is on my mind, I am glad to have an electric pump. If this approach becomes "too much," I will ditch it. I don't want to be discouraged about BFing either, and I understand your thoughts about skipping the pump so you're not concerning yourself with breastmilk 24/7. I hope you find an approach that works for you, so that you can breastfeed as long as you like -- good luck!
March 17th, 2013, 08:44 PM
getnthere's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I hope it works. I freak no matter what. I was a year round teacher and only had to pump the 3 months on and I had one month off. I only bf the months I was off and they pumped when I worked. Long story but I was worried when I only bf because I couldnt tell what I was feeding her. And It was sorta piece of mind to see a pumped bottle taken. Im not buying one yet. Mine may be ok I still need to have it checked we had a flood and Im afraid it may be damaged.

March 17th, 2013, 08:51 PM
.:fearless:.'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'll let my insurance buy me one
OnesOnTheWay and tela like this.
March 17th, 2013, 09:29 PM
pearlica's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I found I got more by manually expressing than even the fancy medical grade pumps. So I will save my money and use my hand...and that sounds wrong...lol
March 18th, 2013, 05:46 AM
tela's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aramsamsam View Post
I didn't do this with DS1... but one thing you can do is pump right after your baby finishes nursing, to help boost your milk supply (since demand creates supply). This is done early in breastfeeding, even when you wouldn't be giving the LO a bottle. I might try this approach with the new baby. I think it might help me be more confident about trying other calming measures instead of assuming every cry is for breastfeeding (I went a little nutso with BFing the first time). Since this is on my mind, I am glad to have an electric pump. If this approach becomes "too much," I will ditch it. I don't want to be discouraged about BFing either, and I understand your thoughts about skipping the pump so you're not concerning yourself with breastmilk 24/7. I hope you find an approach that works for you, so that you can breastfeed as long as you like -- good luck!
this my plan too!!! i also didn't do this with DS, but i want to create an oversupply this time. i'll go back to work at 12 weeks, and i know how much harder it is to keep up with a pump, since it's not as efficient as baby. i want to pump as much as possible (after nursing) in the beginning to create an oversupply. that way i have a stash to fall back on once that dreaded 9-10 month supply drop happens.
OnesOnTheWay likes this.
March 18th, 2013, 05:56 AM
keekopeeko's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
If my insurance doesn't cover one then I won't be getting one... I don't really need one

March 18th, 2013, 09:29 AM
Shea131's Avatar Peyton Rylee's Mommy!!
Breast feeding didn't work for me last time. I'm going to try again but won't be getting an electric pump in case I don't stick with it. I may get a manual one that has been recommended by a few people who swear buy it since its not super expensive and use it to help boost supply?? I'm not really sure about anything when it comes to breast feeding, it intimidates me so much!
OnesOnTheWay likes this.

Thank you Quantum_Leap for my fabulous signature!!!
March 18th, 2013, 10:34 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I didn't have one last time and for first time moms I would wait to see if you end up sticking with breastfeeding. I know a lot of people end up quitting and have spent the money for a pump that didn't get used. If you end up sticking with it then you could always look into getting one.
OnesOnTheWay likes this.

March 18th, 2013, 10:39 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I probably won't buy one this time, I got a manual one with Norah but it was such a pain to get milk that way. But I am a stay at home mom. We just took Norah everywhere the first year, which was annoying but easier for me.

March 18th, 2013, 01:00 PM
captivate's Avatar Sticky thoughts please...
Serenity was a awesome nurser. I pumped and fed from a bottle from 3 days old. The electric pumps did not sit well with me and the manual avent one was amazing.
OnesOnTheWay likes this.

I have 2 miracles on earth and 5 angels in heaven

March 18th, 2013, 03:51 PM
OnesOnTheWay's Avatar #2 Due July 19, 2013
Everyone gave such wonderful replies! Thank you! I think I will wait until I feel I actually need or want one. I will just plan on having a cheaper manual one on hand just in case.
March 18th, 2013, 04:27 PM
MeggysMommy's Avatar 3 + 1
I was just talking to DH about this because I'm at a loss for what to do. I will most likely still be a SAHM but I'm not sure if I want to ft bf. I really don't want to formula feed I did last time but that was because I was stubborn and just nothing really worked in my favor after having Megan. I was thinking about pumping and bfing.

March 19th, 2013, 04:57 PM
bklynfinest77's Avatar Super Mommy
just like a few others said .. i will pump to increase my milk supply im always scared of not supplying enough milk so doing this eases my mind.. it work perfectly with my twins .. i was able to breastfeed them both for a year with more then enough milk and pumping had alot to do with it ... it also gave my husband time to bond with the babies as he loved feeding them.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search