Keeping the name a secret?

Forum: July 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree5Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To July 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 17th, 2013, 08:11 PM
MeggysMommy's Avatar 3 + 1
Is anyone else thinking of keeping the name secret until birth? At this rate we won't even have a name until then. I think it would be a neat surprise for everyone

March 17th, 2013, 08:38 PM
.:fearless:.'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
For the most part I am. I haven't and won't announce babys name on FB and only telling a select few.
March 17th, 2013, 08:39 PM
getnthere's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
No but I thought about it. Our friends did that and I respect it. Their reason was sorta negative. They wanted to have 100% say and didnt want to hear commentary on their name choice. I think it goes to show that we all are named by our parents.

March 17th, 2013, 09:01 PM
LadyGamer's Avatar Objection!!!
I wanted to, but it didn't happen. I have yet to have a person say they didn't like it or anything other than super positive.

Thank you, Jaidynsmum, for the amazing siggy

March 17th, 2013, 09:09 PM
Kiam's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
For the most we are, mainly because we may well change it.

March 18th, 2013, 03:27 AM
Super Mommy
We've told people what we've narrowed the names down to, but won't tell them the final choice until the baby was here.

I've only had one person say they didn't like one of our names, and I just said "Good thing it's not your baby."
tela, MeggysMommy, jkgreen and 1 others like this.
March 18th, 2013, 05:16 AM
jkgreen's Avatar Awaiting Our First Bundle
A select few know...

My birthday is in January, and on my birthday card from my nosy aunt she requested that she know the minute we know the gender and name. Because she has to send out our baby gift to get personalized. I know that if I do tell her for the "sake of the gift" the next time she talks to my family she'll make it sound like I told only her AND then she'll tell everyone else my name. Because she annoys me, she'll know after I tell my non-nosy aunts.

March 18th, 2013, 05:22 AM
-erin-'s Avatar Co-Host of the May2010 PR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiam View Post
For the most we are, mainly because we may well change it.
That's why we didn't tell anyone with DD. I wanted the freedom to change it whenever I wanted, without worrying about people buying personalized stuff. We may have told close family what we were leaning toward, or the possibilities we had, but we didn't tell anyone her name until she was born.

For this kiddo, we don't have a name yet! I just told my sister last week what the middle name will be and what first names we're talking about, but anyone else, I just say we haven't decided. I'm not as set on keeping it a secret this time, but I also won't tell anyone that what we pick is absolute, I'll make sure if I do tell that they know it could still change.

March 18th, 2013, 05:53 AM
sweetie77's Avatar Mommy to 3+1
I am keeping it a secret once we decide on a name .
March 18th, 2013, 06:12 AM
sethsgirl's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I thought about it but my family and my MIL would've irritated me to the point I'd tell them so I did. We may still change it if she doesn't seem like an Olivia when she's born, both my boys seemed to fit the names we had picked out when they were born though so we'll see!

Colleen proud mommy to DS (8/2009), DS (6/2011), and DD (7/2013)

March 18th, 2013, 06:32 AM
pearlica's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My husband wants to keep it a secret this time so we are. Last time we told people when we found out the gender as we had already decided on a boy and girl name. We had picked our names way ahead of time this time too but I'm ok with waiting to announce. My only thing is I would like to tell our daughter so she can stop hoping that we will name the baby Dora! But she is 3 and if we tell her she will tell the family.
March 18th, 2013, 07:23 AM
Super Mommy
I didn't this time, but next time I might. My parents both announced not only the fact that I am having a boy, but also his name on Facebook. I hadn't even announced the fact that I'm pregnant on my Facebook yet. I'm still a little bitter about that.

"Shake it up now, Sugaree. I'll meet you at the Jubilee. And if that Jubilee don't come. Maybe I'll meet you on the run."
March 18th, 2013, 09:25 AM
Shea131's Avatar Peyton Rylee's Mommy!!
We should keep it a secret but we don't. I have my mom that seems to hate every name we like and that's hard but she would drive me crazy if I didn't tell her. At this point I've told her what we like but said we probably won't decide for sure until baby is here, which is true.

Thank you Quantum_Leap for my fabulous signature!!!
March 18th, 2013, 10:17 AM
keekopeeko's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Nah I'm not a secret kinda gal.. But I won't be announcing it to the world.. But I'll share if people ask..

March 18th, 2013, 11:18 AM
doodoosmom's Avatar 4 kids?! Who's counting!
I don't really want to but I might because we HAD a name picked out & family found out & they all hated it so that ruined the name for us. Now we have 2 names were trying to decide between & half the people like one name & the other half like the other name..so I know when I decide someone is going to be negative. Granted it is our baby & our decision but I don't want family to hate his name, kwim?
March 18th, 2013, 12:07 PM
Super Mommy
I will be for the most part, I did last time too. I felt once we knew we were having another boy, I wanted to keep some excitement to myself so that way when we announced the baby was born, it was a little more exciting. I was set on a name before we knew the gender this time and now I don't like it as much...weird huh? I will tell my mom though when we pick something.
March 18th, 2013, 12:10 PM
NinjaCakes's Avatar Awesomesauce
I can understand keeping it as a secret. It would be a nice surprise.

I'm not going out of my way to tell anyone. Nobody's had the temerity to say they don't like our name choice to my face. If
they can't be honest with me I'd just as soon not talk to them about it at all

Thanks so much Claire for my awesome siggy
March 18th, 2013, 01:20 PM
marriedtoamountie's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We'll be keeping it a surprise until the birth. We did with our previous two, because we didn't pick a name until after they were born This time we have a shorter list, but I still think it'll be a secret!

March 18th, 2013, 05:26 PM
Twin Mama
We will be keeping them secret once we find out the sexes and pick the names. I don't want to deal with negativity and want to be able to change my mind up until birth if I want to. My family is very opinionated and I know I will get comments and eye rolls for some of the names I like. I already have to deal with that from DH, don't want everyone else!

March 18th, 2013, 05:39 PM
Super Mommy
I think we may. We're a pretty indecisive couple, so we may not decide and/or be sure of our decision until the baby is born. I also don't like hearing negative insinuations about names we're considering, which happened before.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search