Pacifiers! Yay or Nay?

Forum: July 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree7Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To July 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 19th, 2013, 06:00 PM
Twin Mama
yay, once we got BF down I am no opposed to them, but i really want to avoid nipple confusion.

March 19th, 2013, 06:16 PM
.:fearless:.'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
If she wants one, she can have it. In my older 3 I never had an issue taking them away either.
March 20th, 2013, 05:04 AM
Super Mommy
I WAS a human pacifier. I don't want to do that again!
March 20th, 2013, 05:58 AM
jkgreen's Avatar Awaiting Our First Bundle
As long as my Bug will take one... I'll be using it.. I would rather him be sucking on a nuk rather than his fingers/thumb. Ick. Plus when it comes time to ween off the nuk, it's easier to cut the nuk than cut his fingers..joking I would never cut his fingers, but when it comes time..snip snip on that little nuk and he won't want it anyways.. And we'll blame it on the dog.. Oops.

March 20th, 2013, 06:22 AM
tela's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
YAY!!! i too thought i wouldn't offer at first to avoid nipple confusion. but babies need to suck, and i can't be a human pacifier 24/7. giving the bink was the best thing ever. and he never had nipple confusion (BF for 26 months ). i plan to offer this baby a bink as well. DS gave his up when he turned 3. yes, 3.
OnesOnTheWay likes this.
March 20th, 2013, 06:48 AM
sweetie77's Avatar Mommy to 3+1
I will be for this 1
March 20th, 2013, 11:18 AM
LadyGamer's Avatar Objection!!!
I will have a few, but not use them unless I see her going for her thumb. I would MUCH rather her use a pacifier than her thumb. It took me soo long when I was little to break sucking my thumb.. it was brutal.

I am worried about it affecting breastfeeding though, hence trying to put off using it, if possible.

Thank you, Jaidynsmum, for the amazing siggy

March 20th, 2013, 11:58 AM
lhug_nar's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to lhug_nar Send a message via MSN to lhug_nar Send a message via Yahoo to lhug_nar
We will have some nuks on hand but if baby doesn't use them, that's up to the baby.
March 20th, 2013, 12:51 PM
Shea131's Avatar Peyton Rylee's Mommy!!
Yes we will use them. I was dead set against using them with DD just because I was worried about the fight we would go through when we took it away. However, when Peyton was a few days old we were desperate and gave her one and never looked back. She gave it up at 13 months with no problem. We made her give it up because I don't like toddlers walking around with them (just a personal thing) but she did really well! They are lifesavers in my book!

Thank you Quantum_Leap for my fabulous signature!!!
March 20th, 2013, 06:21 PM
pearlica's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
yup, we gave one to T at 2 weeks and I wish we had done it earlier it was a life-saver! She used it from then until 5 months when we took it away without an issue. She didnt get nipple confusion.
March 20th, 2013, 08:27 PM
Twin Mama
how did you all avoid nipple confusion!? my MIL constantly tells me about how they gave DH a bottle in the hospital before BF-ing and he was 'nipple spoiled' as she calls it from then on. so she warns me every time i talk to her about the babies to don't give them anything but the breast until you are solidly BFing, including binkis.

I got 2 to work on latching and feeding, I would be so sad for nipple confusion to be a reason I can't BF!

March 20th, 2013, 08:49 PM
Mega Super Mommy
We are a paci family all the way. We've never had a problem with nipple confusion and, fingers crossed, we won't have a problem this time either.

March 21st, 2013, 05:33 AM
-erin-'s Avatar Co-Host of the May2010 PR
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellabri287 View Post
how did you all avoid nipple confusion!? my MIL constantly tells me about how they gave DH a bottle in the hospital before BF-ing and he was 'nipple spoiled' as she calls it from then on. so she warns me every time i talk to her about the babies to don't give them anything but the breast until you are solidly BFing, including binkis.

I got 2 to work on latching and feeding, I would be so sad for nipple confusion to be a reason I can't BF!
It really depends on the baby and there is no way to know if they'll get confused or not until it happens. So, I know for me, I was at my wit's end (I got NO sleep in the hospital, she was born on Tuesday, came home Fri, gave the paci Sat) and totally touched out, so I just gave her the pacifier and crossed my fingers. Luckily it worked out for us.

My mom said the hospital gave my sister a bottle too and that caused her not to BF. I thought there were pics of me with a bottle in the hospital too, and I know she BF me a bit until she went back to work (I'm older). So I really think it's baby dependent and not predictable.

Last edited by -erin-; March 21st, 2013 at 05:35 AM.
March 21st, 2013, 06:17 AM
TerriLF's Avatar Super Mommy
I'll get a few and let the baby decide. DS loved his until 1 and DD never liked one. We shall see..
March 21st, 2013, 07:42 AM
pearlica's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I think nipple confusion is baby dependent and I dont know how you would actively deter it. I always had to top T up with a bottle due to a breast reduction = limited supply. We tried other forms of feeding her before the bottle but she rejected those. So from the beginning she was used to breast first then bottle so I dont think the pacifier confused her cause she was already used to change.
March 21st, 2013, 08:43 AM
OnesOnTheWay's Avatar #2 Due July 19, 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellabri287 View Post

I have heard people say wait until BFing is established.. but also I have heard people say that nipple confusion is a myth when it comes to pacifers.. and that a baby is going to know the difference between the nipple with milk and the nipple with out milk lol

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search