Pacifiers! Yay or Nay?

Forum: July 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree7Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To July 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 19th, 2013, 10:14 AM
OnesOnTheWay's Avatar #2 Due July 19, 2013
So... do you plan on having some pacifiers (dummys) on hand?
March 19th, 2013, 10:24 AM
Super Mommy
I think we still have the ones I bought for DS1, which he rejected. I never bothered trying other brands, but this time if DS2 doesn't like what we have, I may consider trying one or two different ones. I'll try to get past the "nipple confusion" window before trying any, unless I'm desperate.
OnesOnTheWay likes this.
March 19th, 2013, 10:26 AM
bklynfinest77's Avatar Super Mommy
i want to say nay .. but knowing me it going to be a yay!

March 19th, 2013, 10:38 AM
keekopeeko's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Pacis was a yay for the first and the second two wouldt take it no matter what.. Really it depends on the kiddos I think ..

March 19th, 2013, 10:39 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Yes for me
It was my lifesaver as I breastfed full time and it avoided me being used as a pacifier. That being said, I was lucky that with my daughter--she just gave it up on her own--no battle at all at 13 months.

March 19th, 2013, 10:41 AM
Easton's Mommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I will have some on hand but DS never used/liked them... so who knows!

Thank you Vicki for my AMAZING siggy!

March 19th, 2013, 10:52 AM
-erin-'s Avatar Co-Host of the May2010 PR
I was pretty against them for DD, at least until BFing was well established (and even then I didn't think I'd use them). But someone gave me a few at my baby shower, and when she wasn't quite a week old I resorted to using them since I couldn't handle being her human pacifier. She gave them up on her own between 3-4 months, in favor of her thumb, which we finally got her to stop sucking at 2.5.

So I won't say no for this kid, but I will be better prepared at realizing how much he'll need me in the beginning so I may not be as put off by nursing as much (DD also had a bad latch so it hurt!).

March 19th, 2013, 11:02 AM
OnesOnTheWay's Avatar #2 Due July 19, 2013
Honestly, I was so relived to hear other BFing moms offered pacififers.. I know a lot of AP type moms are against them because they believe that is what the Mom is for..
but.. the idea of being a human pacifer 24/7 scares the crap out of me!! But I want to BF.. so I am actually hoping this little one will take to a pacifier so they can learn to soothe themselves instead of just me 100% of the time.

We'll see.. my daughter didn't take one until after she was 6 months or so! Then we took it away when she was 2 and she weaned off them really easily.
March 19th, 2013, 11:22 AM
Gini_3boys's Avatar Super Mommy
My 2nd was the only one that took a binky till about 5 months old, the other 2 didn't care for them at all. They are really nice especially when baby just wants to suck which is a natural instinct for them. And they were a life saver in the car with DS#2. I hope this little one takes to one too.
OnesOnTheWay likes this.

Devin - 06/29/2004 Riley - 03/01/2007 Kyler - 07/20/2010 Tanner - 07/30/2013
March 19th, 2013, 11:39 AM
4 Boys & 4 Girls !
Yay for me. Not all of my kids wanted binkis though. The longest any of my children have used it is till the first day of kindergarten and then it was the end. My youngest still takes hers and its attached to her.

I have never had any issues with nipple confusion. I offered the binki from the very begining, and breastfeeding was never disturbed.
OnesOnTheWay and jkgreen like this.

March 19th, 2013, 11:53 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Yep, I love pacis. Admittedly, my kids take pacis easily and give them up just as easy so it isn't a struggle for us at all. Though I will be holding off for a little while until BFing is established to avoid nipple confusion, which is what I did with Norah.

March 19th, 2013, 11:58 AM
LittleMomma09's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Yay for me also.

March 19th, 2013, 12:35 PM
sethsgirl's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We'll try it. DS1 took one but DS2 refuses so we'll have to see how this baby is when she's born. I have no problem giving her one if she'll take it though.

Colleen proud mommy to DS (8/2009), DS (6/2011), and DD (7/2013)

March 19th, 2013, 12:38 PM
Super Mommy
I'm going to hold off on offering one for as long as I can I think. We'll just have to see how that goes.

"Shake it up now, Sugaree. I'll meet you at the Jubilee. And if that Jubilee don't come. Maybe I'll meet you on the run."
March 19th, 2013, 12:51 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Nay for me. I offered them to dd and she always refused. Now I am glad. If baby needs to cimfort suck while he is little, I'll be happy to breastfeed.
March 19th, 2013, 01:04 PM
doodoosmom's Avatar 4 kids?! Who's counting!
My boys never liked them but DD had hers until 2.5, if this baby likes them then I'm ok with him having one.
March 19th, 2013, 02:36 PM
Veteran
NAY!! I did not offer either of my girls a paci, I never had an issue with it. At the hospital they kept giving them paci and I kept throwing them away. Every single one of my friends said you are going to wish you had them, and I am the only one who never had to have the give up the paci struggle or where is the paci while the baby is screaming for it issue. All of them came back to me and said, I wish I never started the paci! Two of my friends have 3 year olds with paci's and just cant break them with out hours of screaming.
March 19th, 2013, 03:02 PM
Kisses-4-Baby's Avatar Super Mommy
The first two had them but my youngest refused to take one. She preferred to feed on demand little guts! Which is perhaps why I didn't get a period back till she was 2! I will offer a pacifier this time but won't stress if he/she won't take one.
Baby #4 Due July 7th!!

March 19th, 2013, 05:20 PM
Super Mommy
I'm not opposed to pacifiers, but I will probably try to take it away once the teeth start coming out.
March 19th, 2013, 05:43 PM
MamaLemonade's Avatar ~~Whitney~~
I'm for a paci if they will take it, DS got one from day one and it never hurt his breastfeeding but he also spit it out a month and neve took it again, Dd kept hers till about 6 months and spit it out at the lake and well never took it again, so we will see.
Loving my 2 munchkins & awaiting #3
Married to my <3 since 8/09

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search