My FTM vent

Forum: July 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree6Likes
  • 3 Post By Kiam
  • 3 Post By countrygirl95648

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To July 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 19th, 2013, 02:09 PM
Kiam's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
You know what sucks to be a FTM when you work with parents and children? No one listens to you! It's like all authority you once had goes out the window because some particularly frustrating mothers who have to know that they are doing the wrong thing now have this wonderful little phrase to one-up you with whenever you ask them not to do something.

"You just wait until that one comes out"

In some circumstances, fair enough, however, two times I have heard it this week:

1. Found a lone little girl (maybe 2 or 3) sitting in our young adult section, tearing pages out of a book, I asked her which grown-up is with her, she said "Mummy" so I asked her where Mummy was, we found Mummy on one of our computers (co-incidentally it was the woman who got snippy with me earlier because I asked her to use headphones while watching things on youtube), I showed the mother the book that was destroyed,
"I will let this one go, but if she damages any more of our items the replacement charge for them will be added to your card. She needs to stay here with you, we can get her some picture books and bring them over to the computers if you like, but she can't roam around the library by herself."
"Oh, this is going to be your first child isn't it? I can tell, you just wait until that one comes out, then you will be eating your words dear"

No, I really don't think I will. I really think that after I have this child I will still charge you for any books your child damages because you don't feel you need to supervise her.

2. We have a "children's bathroom" in our library, it is a separate bathroom with two smaller toilets for toddlers who can't reach the big ones and four change tables, it's quite nice, it has mobiles over the change tables and pictures of our mascot bookworm and his many adventures on the walls, all bright and colourful.
Yesterday I was shelving in the kids section and I could smell poo, I follow the smell and I find a woman changing her baby on the overflow trolley (trolley of books that are yet to be shelved or do not fit on the shelves) the trolley was full so she had the baby on top of a pile of books, changing her poo-ey nappy.
"Excuse me, we have a children's bathroom just there *point* (seriously, 5 steps from where this lady was) it has change tables"
"Oh here is fine"
"Well, no, for hygiene purposes we really need you to change any nappies in a bathroom, not on our books"
"Ahh... you just wait, when you have that baby you will understand"
And right on queue, little baby urinates without anything underneath her, no nappy on, on our books, destroying about $300 worth of children's novels.
Our branch manager chose to charge her for a portion of a replacement cost of those books ($100).
The mother opted not to pay it and let the fine sit on her card, apparently it was our fault for "not having change tables" (erm?).

No, I don't think that once I have this baby I will risk $100 by changing them on a trolley of books. Also because that really is unhygienic and disgusting.

Seriously cannot wait for someone to try this on me once a get back from maternity leave, "Oh, you just wait until you have kids" "I do have a child. *awkward silence* Again, please refrain from doing *whatever it is person is doing that is just glaringly wrong*"

Last edited by Kiam; March 19th, 2013 at 02:13 PM.
March 19th, 2013, 03:29 PM
Veteran
OMG are you kidding me! Let me tell you, I am a mother of 2 little girls. They are 15 months apart, (ya it can be a handlful!) If my child had been brought back to me from wondering around a library (when I should be watching her and protecting her from all the strangers that I don't know who might kid nap her!) With a book she had torn up I would be completely mortified and insisted on replacing the book! Not to mention I would need to reevaluate my parenting skill not bash some one else for my lack there of! What a joke that person was. Irresponsible parents raise irresponsible children. Kids break thing, kids get into stuff you cant watch them 24/7 however you can be responsible for their actions, you raised them!
.:fearless:., tela and jkgreen like this.
March 19th, 2013, 05:57 PM
Veteran
That is just crazy.... I am A FTM also and it is crazy how many people are Just you wait.... I am sorry if we are out to dinner and our Baby starts making noise one of us will leave the table with the kid. we will not let the scream like I see almost every time I go out these days :/
March 19th, 2013, 06:14 PM
Super Mommy
That woman leaving her daughter unattended in a public library will surely be eating HER own words once something terrible happens to her child.

But it's pointless to say anything because these are the type of self-entitled people who feel that nothing is ever their fault. Like those people who sue coffee franchises for not warning them that the coffee is hot.
March 19th, 2013, 06:36 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Yeah, that has nothing to do with becoming a parent, that is them being irresponsible. Honestly, half of what I was 'warned' about when I became a parent either 1. weren't actual problems or 2. were very small problems. There are several challenges with parenthood; watching your kids at a library or walking an extra few feet to change your kid in the bathroom are not parental challenges. They are you being irresponsible or lazy.

It's too bad you can't force that woman to pay for those books, $100 isn't anything to sniff at. I don't generally think too much about parents changing their kids in public if there really isn't any facilities to use, but kids touch those books y'know?

March 19th, 2013, 06:50 PM
MamaLemonade's Avatar ~~Whitney~~
Oh wow is all I got to say, i would walk to my car before I changed my kid on books( that's slightly uncomfy and unsanitary) you were 100% in the right and those parents are the ones who don't take responsibility for anything most likely. Your gonna be a great mom!
Mommy to:C(5), M(4), T(1), awaiting #4
Married to my <3 since 8/09

March 19th, 2013, 06:52 PM
Twin Mama
those ladies are lunatics! OMG that irks me. As a FTM i get the "just you wait..." lecture from everybody and then they add in "time two cuz it's twins" wow, thank's for that.

March 19th, 2013, 07:28 PM
.:fearless:.'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
INSANE. Everyone does have their own parenting style and views, however, those 2 examples you gave are primes examples of AWFUL and lazy parenting. I am also sure when they were kids they always heard their parents making excuses for everything and always made excuses for their children. Well, you know what they say about excuses...they are like....
As for a restaurant, that is a hard subject to judge on. You haven't a clue what is going on with that child or why that child is screaming. I have a 5 year old with special needs and even at a young age couldn't handle restaurants, but they are a part of life and we kept pushing through those screams and tantrums. Now, we can sit in them. If I had gotten up and walked away from the table every single time he cried (I didn't know he had special needs then), he would've never learned to sit at a sit down restaurant. I pay to be there just as everyone else does.
March 19th, 2013, 08:13 PM
Super Mommy
While it's true you tend to become a little more relaxed about certain things once you have kids especially the more you have but I'm sorry none of that applies to what those mothers were doing. I'm on baby #4 and no way do I let even my 8 year wonder off any public place without me. And as for the diaper changing situation...just gross! Apparently you get a lot of crazies in the library!
March 19th, 2013, 09:11 PM
jkgreen's Avatar Awaiting Our First Bundle
So what those women are telling you... is that once you pop out a kid, all of your decency and common sense goes out the window. Oh and you have a child but don't protect it like having no idea what your 2-3 year old is doing out of your sight. OMG!!

March 19th, 2013, 10:18 PM
Good to know that I am not the only one who finds their 'insight' ridiculous.

I'm just tired of not being listened to. Me being pregnant is just irrelevant and none of my colleagues,none of whom are pregnant, get the same level of chatback on the topic... and I never used to.

March 19th, 2013, 11:01 PM
Mega Super Mommy
There are different parenting styles but there is also plain old right and wrong. Changing your child on top of BOOKS is so disgusting and wrong, and letting your child destroy property that doesn't belong to you is wrong. So many people have kids when they don't want to be bothered to raise them, sad really.
March 20th, 2013, 02:08 PM
NinjaCakes's Avatar Awesomesauce
I want to say I'm surprised at both their levels of stupidity, but I worked at a gas station for two years. All the surprise is burnt out of me! How ridiculous! I would have a lot less nice to say to someone who thinks they can just leave their child unattended anywhere, even a library. She could have been kidnapped and her mom wouldn't have known for who knows how long.

Thanks so much Claire for my awesome siggy
March 20th, 2013, 02:17 PM
I think more likely that kidnapped, she could have just walked out, it wouldn't be the first time I've been standing at the desk near the exit and a small child has just wandered out through the doors on their own, and I ended up chasing after them and bringing them back in.

March 20th, 2013, 02:33 PM
Krisnina's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I seriously can't believe that people are saying such things. You make me glad that I don't deal with the public at all.

March 20th, 2013, 07:12 PM
.:fearless:.'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gini_3boys View Post
While it's true you tend to become a little more relaxed about certain things once you have kids especially the more you have but I'm sorry none of that applies to what those mothers were doing. I'm on baby #4 and no way do I let even my 8 year wonder off any public place without me. And as for the diaper changing situation...just gross! Apparently you get a lot of crazies in the library!
Exactly! I have ages ranging from 12-10 months and never would I ever do any of what she said. My 12 year old is perfectly capable of walking around alone, my 8 year old can walk around OUR library (no matter where I stand, I can see her and we live in a "village" not even a town, super small and we know everyone), but not my 5 year old and certainly not my 10 month old. I would never change his diaper anywhere like that either! They don't have a changing area there, but I would still go to the bathroom and lay the changing pad down and change him on the floor.
March 21st, 2013, 11:39 AM
Shea131's Avatar Peyton Rylee's Mommy!!
Just, wow!

Thank you Quantum_Leap for my fabulous signature!!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search