Readers ...

Forum: July 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree3Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To July 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 21st, 2013, 06:43 AM
keekopeeko's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Anyone in here a book worm? I do my very best to be ..but with 3 kids I don't have the time for it I would like... But I love reading.. I do NOT like reading self help books.. Or informative books.. I like reading novels.. And they have to catch my attention with in the first paragraph or two or it will NOT get read.. I like all the young adult novels.. Like the hunger games and all the rest of the many about future years.. But I also love me some romantic books.. Nora Roberts.. Barbara delinsky.. Jodi piccoult... I like SOME Christian authors SOMEtimes.. .. I really just love a good read.. I don't like wordy books..

What are some of YOUR favorite books and or authors??

March 21st, 2013, 07:35 AM
Veteran
Well, I'm an author myself, so I'm biased.

I like John Sandford, David Wiltse, Janet Evanovich, some Sue Grafton, old Stephen King, Rex Stout.

I read mostly mysteries (cozy type) or suspense/thrillers. I'll read non-fic if it's a subject that interests me.
March 21st, 2013, 07:46 AM
-erin-'s Avatar Co-Host of the May2010 PR
I recently read a few books by Gillian Flynn that I enjoyed ... kind of suspense/mystery with some twists.

At the moment I'm reading a Nora Roberts book.

In the past I've also enjoyed medical theory suspense based type novels (not sure how to describe) like Robin Cook and Michael Crichton. Been a while since I've read them though.

I liked the Hunger Games series, I read all 3 in a matter of a few days! I read Twilight while I was pumping at work for DD, they didn't impress me, but they helped pass the time.

March 21st, 2013, 08:47 AM
doodoosmom's Avatar 4 kids?! Who's counting!
I really love Jodi Picoult. I used to read every day but lately I haven't gotten to..I definitely need some new ideas for something good to read.
March 21st, 2013, 10:02 AM
Veteran
I love reading! Fiction, non-fiction, chick-lit, you name it...

My favorite book I've read in the past few years is Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides. I like most Barbara Kingsolver. I just read my first Jodi Picoult book and it was pretty good. I'm currently reading Where'd You Go, Bernadette by Maria Semple. For non-fiction I have a penchant for food-related topics like Omnivore's Dilemma; Animal, Vegetable, Miracle; In Defense of Food.
March 21st, 2013, 02:22 PM
Super Mommy
I read everything! As a teacher, I end up reading books on every level.

For those of you who have read the Hunger Games, I reccomend the Divergent series by Veronica Roth! The Percy Jackson series by Rick Riordan was good, too. I've read every Jodi Picoult book. Some I love, some aren't the greatest. Her newest book, The Storyteller, was REALLY good.

I really like Marian Keyes & Cecelia Ahern. I have read a lot of Sophia Kinsella...but not the Shopaholic series for some reason.

Still Alice, Left Neglect & Love Anthony by Lisa Genova were all very good. When I read Still Alice I thought for sure I had early onset Alzheimer's & when I read Left Neglect I thought for sure I had left neglect!

I enjoy "fluff" books...Harlequin romances, etc that you don't have to think about, then next I'll read something by Lisa Gardner that has my head spinning!

When I don't have anything else to read I will go back and re-read some of my old teen novels like Sweet Valley High. I've read them all dozens of times, but still love them.
March 21st, 2013, 02:43 PM
Kiam's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
^^ I found In Defence Of Food really fascinating.

I guess I can divide my reading into two categories; reading for me and reading for work.

Reading for work I sometimes read (okay, skim-read) things I don't always enjoy, but need to have a knowledge of (such as 50 shades, Jodi Piccoult). I also, as my primary role at work is as a children's librarian need to read kids books, I will admit, most of which I actually do enjoy, haha. I do get a bit torn on some of the YA, some of it is just amazing (more recent ones that I really enjoyed are A Monster Calls by Patrick Ness and The Fault In Our Stars by John Green) and when I read books like those I feel like anyone who holds YA snobbery (quite common I have to say) is really missing out. Then on the flip side, some really appalling YA does get published, more so than adult and juniors (Tyra Banks' Modelland, anyone? Honestly, reading the reviews of it on goodreads was better than reading the actual book).

On the other hand, books for me. I love ancient literature, Greek particularly, poetry and literary essays. I'm a sucker for non-fiction, particularly historical accounts, as far as fiction goes I do enjoy Australian writers, simply because there is almost this more raw writing style that is prominent and more popularised in Australia, there also tends to be less of a tendency for a 'happy ending' or for there to not be a resolution, more of a "it is what it is" conclusion, which I do enjoy (one of the more popular examples is The Slap by Christos Tsiolkas, mainly because it was recently made into a mini series, I think what I enjoyed most about it was that all the characters were so flawed that there was no saving grace).
I also enjoy seeking out translated books, I like that each country seems to have it's own writing style and I enjoy discovering those different styles. In particular I enjoy Spanish literature, it is just so heavy with symbolism that it paints these amazing pictures.
I also like a good manga every now and then and a Japanese thriller.

At the moment I am reading one that luckily fulfils both a work and a me, which is wonderful. I'm reading Everyone Deserves A Place At The Table by Shanaka Fernando, which is an autobiography. He created a chain of very popular vegetarian restaurants in Melbourne where there are no set prices, you eat and at the end you put as much or as little money as you like (or can afford, many homeless people dine in his restaurants as a result) in a box as you leave. Instead of hiring professional chefs, he hires immigrants and asylum seekers and they cook vegetarian foods from their culture, or work as wait staff and part of the restaurant profits pay for them to obtain chef apprenticeships. So in addition to feeding the community, many for free, he is helping people who have recently immigrated here obtain qualifications to earn a decent living.
This week past he came into our library and did a talk on his book, such a fantastic speaker too.
mjbaby likes this.

March 21st, 2013, 03:05 PM
bklynfinest77's Avatar Super Mommy
I'm a big reader too .. i love young adult sci- fiction it my fave .. i just finish reading the match and delirum series and they were awesome .. right now im reading cinder marissa meyer and so far it really good...

Oh and i loved the divergent series it was so good!!!!

I also listen to alot of audio books in the car cause i hate listening to the radio.

Last edited by bklynfinest77; March 21st, 2013 at 03:07 PM.
March 21st, 2013, 03:58 PM
NinjaCakes's Avatar Awesomesauce
I have an affinity for true crime books, but I really prefer the ones that focus on the psychology of the offenders. So I'm very rarely satisfied in that category. I also like fantasy crime novels and sci-fi, but I'm very picky with those. I love psychology texts. My favorite writers are Stephen King and Robert Jordan. I'm currently on my second read-through of the Wheel of Time series
Aumelinia likes this.

Thanks so much Claire for my awesome siggy
March 21st, 2013, 06:10 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I read a little bit of everything but I really love non-fiction. I like learning about different stuff and how to do things, though I don't like memoirs unless they happen to be about interesting people (not dogs, or animals or whatever).

March 21st, 2013, 06:28 PM
I've read the divergent two.. Looking forward to the third.. I've also read the matched series.. A lot of you really read big time stuff! Like I said.. I'm an easy reader ... I agree about only liking some Jodi picoult... Not all her stuff is great.. I read ONE book by Linda Howard called cry no more that I loved and went to read more by her and hated all the others ..

March 22nd, 2013, 05:38 AM
jkgreen's Avatar Awaiting Our First Bundle
I am a huge, huge Nora Roberts fan. I have a nook, but that is for all authors EXCEPT Nora. I need hers hardcover...or paperback. I can re-read her any day. I write down in my planner when her new books are being released so I can get them. But I'm not a fan of the JD Robb series..

I told DH we are going to Maryland to stay at the Boonsboro Inn when we can!!
keekopeeko likes this.

March 22nd, 2013, 05:52 AM
-erin-'s Avatar Co-Host of the May2010 PR
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkgreen View Post

I told DH we are going to Maryland to stay at the Boonsboro Inn when we can!!
I grew up in MD (but not western MD) and just moved away last summer, so I love that the settings are somewhat familiar to me.

March 22nd, 2013, 07:15 AM
My favorite series of hers is the Chesapeake blue series because I live (and swim in the Chesapeake every summer) near where that series took place

March 22nd, 2013, 09:34 AM
Easton's Mommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I love to read! I will really read anything and once I start reading it I have to finish it. I am also terrible at skipping to the last couple of pages and reading those first.

Thank you Vicki for my AMAZING siggy!

March 22nd, 2013, 10:57 AM
Super Mommy
I like to read. The last thing I read cover to cover was The Stay-at-Home-Survival-Guide. I liked it more for the gratification of knowing other stay at home moms have similar experiences and concerns, and less for any advice that it offered. Although some of the financial information was eye-opening. I hadn't really thought about the impact of Social Security policy on stay at home moms, for example. Another parenting-related book that I liked was "The Price of Privilege" which talks about what can go wrong for teens and young adults who've grown up with lots of opportunities and financial support, and why. Another one that has stuck with me was called something like "The Girls from Ames," which was the true story of a large group of women who maintained really strong ties over many years and geographic distance. It was inspiring that they did that, and made me stop and think about the fact that I haven't nurtured old friendships as much as I might have-- perhaps I'm really missing out.

My favorite fiction author, by far, is Barbara Kingsolver. Like others of you I have mixed experiences reading Jody Piccoult but really like some of it.
March 22nd, 2013, 02:33 PM
Kiam's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I feel like Jodi Picoult is a very formulaic writer. This comes first, then this happens which causes this then here is the conclusion and I am yet to read a book of hers that doesn't fit that formula.

Of course it's a common formula for many writers, but when you stick so rigidly to it and churn out the sheer number of books that she does, something has to give.

March 22nd, 2013, 08:45 PM
OnesOnTheWay's Avatar #2 Due July 19, 2013
I go through phases with reading.. I switch it up between real history books, fiction, etc.. and now I am reading baby books lol

But one of my favorite series of all time is the Outlander books by Diana Gabaldon!
March 23rd, 2013, 12:45 PM
Gini_3boys's Avatar Super Mommy
I LOVE to read! Mostly young adult. Right now I'm reading Reqium, it's the 3rd book in the Delirium series. I love the Mortal Instruments and Infernal Devices. I just recently finished Divergent and loved it. And Harry Potter will always will one of my fav series!

Devin - 06/29/2004 Riley - 03/01/2007 Kyler - 07/20/2010 Tanner - 07/30/2013
March 23rd, 2013, 01:15 PM
LilSunshine's Avatar ♥ Super Moderator ♥
I enjoy reading! It sounds like we have very similar tastes in books. I haven't found much time to read lately though.

September 2009 @ 6 weeks May 2011 @ 11 weeks

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search