What is your parenting style?

Forum: July 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree11Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To July 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 24th, 2013, 02:37 PM
MeggysMommy's Avatar 3 + 1
I'm pretty sure this was asked before but I got curious and forgetful again How would you describe your parenting style? Are you clear cut one way over another or a mix of both? Or do you have your own unique style? I'm curious to hear everyone's views

March 24th, 2013, 03:05 PM
Kiam's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Well I don't know yet.

Based upon my personality I would probably lean more to the traditional side though. But, with everything in life I doubt I could ever be clear cut one or the other.
jkgreen likes this.

March 24th, 2013, 03:23 PM
tela's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm a mix! I do extended BFing (past 2 with DS), I baby wear, I don't CIO. But I use disposable diapers, fully vaccinate (the MOST important parenting decision, to me), and never co-sleep. I thought I'd be more traditional when I was pregnant with DS, but as your baby grows, you grow into your role as a parent. I find a mix of things works for my family.
March 24th, 2013, 03:29 PM
captivate's Avatar Sticky thoughts please...
I am a total mix.

I have 2 miracles on earth and 5 angels in heaven

March 24th, 2013, 03:33 PM
-erin-'s Avatar Co-Host of the May2010 PR
Quote:
Originally Posted by tela View Post
I'm a mix! I do extended BFing (past 2 with DS), I baby wear, I don't CIO. But I use disposable diapers, fully vaccinate (the MOST important parenting decision, to me), and never co-sleep. I thought I'd be more traditional when I was pregnant with DS, but as your baby grows, you grow into your role as a parent. I find a mix of things works for my family.
I'm very similar. Only nursed til 18m with dd but it was her choice to stop. I will cosleep (same room not bed) when baby is small and dd sleeps with us occasionally now. I was going to cio around 9-10m but dd started sttn on her own at that point.

March 24th, 2013, 03:51 PM
Twin Mama
idk yet, planning to be a mix. cloth diapering, glass bottles, make my own baby food, BF or Pump if necessary, delayed vaccinations, no co-sleeping, public schooling, no-circ, occasional baby-wearing... but that could all change depending on my babies.

March 24th, 2013, 04:30 PM
keekopeeko's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm a mix.. Are there only two? Traditional vs attachment? ...

... Each kid has been different .. I feel like I parent according to EACH of my child's needs.

I do delayed vaxing... We do circ... I do co sleep for the first year pretty much.. I use sposies.. I do extended BFing.... The list goes on and on..
.:fearless:. likes this.

March 24th, 2013, 04:32 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Whatever works, but I lean towards Attachment, I guess. I baby-wear, don't CIO, co-sleep, and follow a more 'peaceful' approach to discipline. But I also fully vax, use disposable diapers (I've tried cloth diapering with both Nathaniel and Norah and their skin is too sensitive to do it easily, though I still do think it is more eco-friendly), and I only baby-wear and bf for a year or so.

March 24th, 2013, 04:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by keekopeeko View Post
I'm a mix.. Are there only two? Traditional vs attachment? ...
I guess I've really only heard of the 2 that is why I added if anyone had a unique style lol.

I definitely think I fall more under the traditional parenting style fully vac, would circ if we had a son, formula fed dd1 want to try to bf this time(definitely would save WIC the money for us), we do CIO, don't co-sleep, trying cloth diapers this time for financial reasons, and we discipline. Before having Megan and the first few months I was very strongly traditional parenting then I think I fell to an inbetween but have decided especially as Megan has gotten older that traditional works for us the best.

March 24th, 2013, 05:17 PM
Twin Mama
can I be a noob and as, what is CIO?

March 24th, 2013, 05:26 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I would say that I lean heavily towards attachment parenting, but I am also a bit of a mix. Breastfeeding is something I feel very strongly about and do extended bfing until around age 2 (I think dd was about 2.5 when we stopped. ) I believe in vaxing but I like to spread out some ofthe vaxing instead of doing a bunch of shots in one visit. We co-slept with dd but I will try to keep this baby in a bassinet next to our bed. I love babywearing and don't believe in the cry it out method. I am leaning towards not circumcising this baby. I support home birth but prefer a hospital experience personally. I will go all natural again if possible but in a hospital after laboring at home. I do disposable diapers for a variety of reasons. I don't spank. I believe in a very hands on, active, loving role as a mother
March 24th, 2013, 05:35 PM
tela's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellabri287 View Post
can I be a noob and as, what is CIO?
Cry it out
March 24th, 2013, 05:48 PM
Twin Mama
thanks!

March 24th, 2013, 06:11 PM
jkgreen's Avatar Awaiting Our First Bundle
I don't know yet... But probably more traditional, but it depends on my son. There are thing I will not do..

March 24th, 2013, 06:30 PM
sethsgirl's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm a mix! We don't circ, I breastfeed until my child self weans (14 months for DS2), DS1 had to be supplemented with formula due to extreme weight loss. We did co-sleep with DS2 in our bed (until he was 13 months old) an DS1 in the same room but his own bed until he was 10 months old. We do a semi delayed vaccine schedule but they do get all but the flu vaccine eventually. I love baby wearing, we cloth diaper except at night since both of our boys were very heavy wetters. We do extended rear facing for car seats. But we feel every child is different and we will parent based on her needs as she will be different just like her brothers are different from one another.

Colleen proud mommy to DS (8/2009), DS (6/2011), and DD (7/2013)

March 24th, 2013, 06:55 PM
pearlica's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I think I lean more towards traditional. We bf but supplement with formula, we cloth diapered last time but will do a mix of cloth/sposies this time, no co-sleeping, fully vaccinate on schedule, would not circ if it was a boy, let her CIO (while going in to rub her tummy and never for an extended period), didnt baby wear very much, dont believe in spanking or any physical discipline. So a bit of a mix but more traditional?
March 24th, 2013, 06:56 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I don't know. I don't really give it much thought. I just parent

I breastfeed but will also use a bottle and formula. We co-sleep though this baby I'm going to try harder to get in a bassinet. Circumcision is up to my husband. We do spank when necessary. We eat fast food. We vaccinate but skip the flu shot. I'm planning to homeschool. Use dispoables mainly but some cloth as well. I do baby wear but also used the stroller. Don't believe in "crying it out".
offthewallfilms likes this.

Last edited by jersey_gray; March 24th, 2013 at 07:08 PM.
March 24th, 2013, 07:04 PM
Like I said I was just super curious how everyone felt on different things. Glad to hear/read everyone's responses

March 24th, 2013, 07:27 PM
Super Mommy
I like to think my parenting style is going to be the "common sense" style. It used to be pretty popular, but it seems to have declined in recent years (at least from what I've seen in my area!).

What I mean is- I will try something, and if it doesn't work, I will try something else. I'm planning on breastfeeding. I don't have any family/friends who have, so I won't have much of a support system. I'm going force myself to do it for a month, to make sure I'm past all of the kinks, but I'm not opposed if we have to supplement or switch to formula.

I plan on using cloth diapers. I'm a little more stubborn on. This one, because so many people have told me it's too difficult and I won't stick to it. I'm going to try my darnest, but if I have to use disposables now and then or eventually switch to them all together I will.

Baby will be going into a crib in his/her room from Day 1. It makes the most sense for us right now...but if it has to change, it will. I don't mind letting babies CIO, but if it doesn't work we will try something else.

I'm not going say I will or won't do something, because this is my first and I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT I'M DOING!!!
March 24th, 2013, 07:40 PM
Gini_3boys's Avatar Super Mommy
I extend breastfeed and co sleep. I use disposables. I vaccinate(except flu) and do circ. I discipline in a more peaceful, non violent way. I am strongly against CIO.

Devin - 06/29/2004 Riley - 03/01/2007 Kyler - 07/20/2010 Tanner - 07/30/2013

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search