Big purchases

Forum: July 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To July 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 27th, 2013, 11:33 AM
doodoosmom's Avatar 4 kids?! Who's counting!
Have you made any big baby purchases yet?

Yesterday we were at target & decided to browse the baby stuff & hubby said since we were there we should buy the pack & play. So we bought it & put it together & my MIL by & commented that it was too early to buy stuff like that & we shouldn't buy anything else so other people could buy us things. I really don't expect gifts, especially big ones & I really like to be prepared early..is it weird if me to want to buy this stuff now rather then closer to July?
March 27th, 2013, 11:48 AM
ahruska's Avatar Super Mommy
I got a ton of stuff at my shower for my first but am not expecting anything like that now so I would want to be prepared too. We have also started to buy stuff b/c I'm not expecting people to do it for us.

March 27th, 2013, 11:56 AM
ninja_mommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We bought a travel system. I didn't have one with DD and really regretted it. Nothing major. Bought a pack and play second hand, have a crib, MIL bought a second hand swing (from SIL.)

Oct '11 June '12
March 27th, 2013, 12:00 PM
NinjaCakes's Avatar Awesomesauce
Quote:
Originally Posted by doodoosmom View Post
I really don't expect gifts, especially big ones & I really like to be prepared early..is it weird if me to want to buy this stuff now rather then closer to July?
I'm with you, there. BF's sister keeps telling me not to worry about cost for registry things, but I'm not an a**hole like that. I don't just expect people to buy me some hugely expensive item. I'm looking for big stuff used on my own dime. And if we could afford it, we'd probably have bought quite a few things by now - we saw a great deal on a stroller/car seat set we would have jumped on. Better to be ready early than late, right? It saves you the last minute scramble to get everything you still need.

Thanks so much Claire for my awesome siggy
March 27th, 2013, 12:25 PM
Kiam's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We have purchased all the big stuff, for us it makes more sense to do it while we have both our full incomes, rather than waiting until I am on maternity leave pay.

I would never accepg big ticket items as shower gifts, little token things, yes, but to expect people to fund my child does not sit right with me.
Breana_Ashlee likes this.

March 27th, 2013, 12:47 PM
OnesOnTheWay's Avatar #2 Due July 19, 2013
I am buying stuff now before the baby makes us broke when she gets here LOL
I gave my MIL a list of small stuff to buy.. crib sheets, swaddler blankets. etc.. and that will be a huge help..
but honestly I am so picky about prints and colors that I'd prefer to buy the big items (stroller, crib, furniture)..
March 27th, 2013, 01:10 PM
Shea131's Avatar Peyton Rylee's Mommy!!
We aren't buying big items, just reusing from DD. I haven't bought anything except a pack of onesies.

Thank you Quantum_Leap for my fabulous signature!!!
March 27th, 2013, 01:17 PM
keekopeeko's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I think it's smart to not wait until the last minute.. Get one big thing every now and then... Then you are ready

March 27th, 2013, 01:33 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I don't think it's too early at all! We haven't bought any big ticket items yet but only because my paycheck s are unpredictable and I'm waiting for some bigger checks to start coming in. I read somewhere that people describe my job as a feast or famine situation and it's so true. Lol
March 27th, 2013, 01:46 PM
LittleMomma09's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I am planning on getting a travel system this weekend. Other than that we haven't really purchased anything big. I think it is good to go ahead and get big stuff out of the way.

March 27th, 2013, 02:39 PM
sweetie77's Avatar Mommy to 3+1
I bought travel system ,swing ,breast pump ,armoire plus changing table ,I still need to purchase a pack n play but we are not having a shower so it makes sense for us .
March 27th, 2013, 03:20 PM
MeggysMommy's Avatar 3 + 1
There are only 2 "big" things that we need to buy and those are the stroller and breast pump(which I'm still debating on). A lot of the stuff we still have from Megan and my friend is giving me her daughter's infant seat to use.

March 27th, 2013, 03:23 PM
Super Mommy
I think I have most of the big ticket items already. My bro bought a swing and diaper genie, my sister bought a pack n' play and an exerciser, I'm getting a free crib and mattress second-hand. Then DH and I bought a carrier last weekend cause we saw it on sale. My parents and my grandparents have also bought a ton of smaller items that we need: clothes, diapers, bibs, bottles, towels, blankets, etc...

So the only thing that's really missing is the stroller & carseat but we are going to purchase that ourselves to make sure we get exactly what we want. We've selected what we want but we are waiting to see if it goes on sale from here until June. I suppose the only other thing missing is a breast pump, but I want to see if I'm actually able to breast feed before I get one.. I already have 3 friends who tried breastfeeding and ended up giving their child formula, so I don't want to buy a breast pump I won't used (especially because they are non-refundable, even if unused!).
March 27th, 2013, 03:38 PM
sethsgirl's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We bought a new carseat but that was the only big thing we needed since we still had everything else from the boys. I'm hoping our jumperoo is still in good condition once Olivia is a little older or we'll be getting a new one of those.

Colleen proud mommy to DS (8/2009), DS (6/2011), and DD (7/2013)

March 27th, 2013, 04:23 PM
Veteran
I am not going to register for my shower and since it's going to be when I am 37 weeks, I am not comfortable waiting until that point to get necessities.

I bought my carseat on Amazon a few days ago and it just arrived today The matching stroller should be here any day now (bought used from a friend), we bought a video monitor last week, and I have a great swing and a Rock n' Play sleeper that I've borrowed from a friend. My only other "big" item that I need to get is my pump. I need to call my insurance company to see if they will cover it. This baby will be sleeping in our room and then sharing a room with my son so I don't need things like a crib (yet) or nursery furniture.
March 27th, 2013, 04:28 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Ugh, I hate the whole "people will get you stuff at the shower" thing. First off, I've never heard of anyone buying anything like a crib or pack and play for a shower gift unless there was a registry. I mean, there are so many different styles of cribs and stuff that you could end up buying something expensive that the person hated, y'know? It's one thing to pass on a used or bought but unused item and another thing to buy an expensive gift specifically for someone who might hate it.

As far as big purchases, we haven't yet but only because we are remodeling and want to wait until we get closer so we can spread out our big finances. I don't think it's too early for big purchases at all.

March 27th, 2013, 04:55 PM
Super Mommy
We have most of what we need this time, and we're not planning to have a shower. My parents asked me to tell them a gift we'd like for this baby, since they bought a crib for the first one. I appreciate that, and I think if people want to buy you large gifts, they can just tell you what they're going to buy you instead of telling you not to shop. You should have the comfort of being as prepared as you want to be!
March 27th, 2013, 05:43 PM
bklynfinest77's Avatar Super Mommy
we brought a travel system already and probably buy most of our big items but my mil, mom, and sisters tend to buy big items for my shower , so i do put a few big items on my registry, i dont plan on buying anything else until after my shower though.

March 27th, 2013, 06:45 PM
Gini_3boys's Avatar Super Mommy
The only big items I need are a carseat and a swing, I'll probably get those in the next month. I have bought the baby lots of clothes so far and diapers so far.

Devin - 06/29/2004 Riley - 03/01/2007 Kyler - 07/20/2010 Tanner - 07/30/2013
March 27th, 2013, 07:10 PM
pearlica's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Tegan was the first grandchild for both sides of the family and they literally argued over who was going to buy us bigger ticket items like the crib and stroller etc. I would have never asked for those things but they were so excited and wanted to so it was great.

This time around I'm not having a shower and we sold a lot of our stuff so we have already bought a new stroller, diaper bag, nursery theme items, and a sling. I dont like to buy things before viability because I'm a bit paranoid that way but after that I think its smart to start picking things up early.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search