modifying workouts

Forum: July 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To July 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 27th, 2013, 02:29 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Yesterday I pulled out one of my older workout dvd's to do. (Jillian michael's 30 day shred) I did level 1 so everything was pretty low impact and easy. If any of you are familiar with the workout though, there are a few 1 minute ab sections that require laying flat on your back. I know this is a no no but I felt fine and did the workout as is. I rolled to the side after each set to break up the time on my back. The segments are pretty short so do you think this is ok or should I do some modifications? How exactly would I modify something like that? What have you been doing? I want to stick with this video because I feel great today (energized and not even sore!) But I want to make sure I'm not doing anything unsafe.
March 27th, 2013, 06:58 PM
pearlica's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
could you do planks instead of crunchs so you are still getting an ab workout but baby isnt laying in a way to cut off blood supply?
March 27th, 2013, 07:24 PM
keekopeeko's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
When I do abs I use a ball.: not quite the same. but still a good ab work out ...

March 28th, 2013, 04:15 AM
Super Mommy
I'm of no use.

I'm at the point where I think having one nap a day instead of two (or more...) is a good workout.
March 28th, 2013, 05:06 AM
Super Mommy
I thought ab exercises weren't a good idea after the first trimester -- I think my doc told me to stop then the first time I was pregnant. This is just me trying to search my pregnant brain for info... but it's something you may want to look into. I didn't ask my doc this time because I was more than willing to stop on my own! )

My prenatal yoga video does have the plank position... I'm not sure if that's what Pearlica means by "planks". That doesn't seem nearly as intense as doing crunches.
March 28th, 2013, 05:55 AM
keekopeeko's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Abs are fine.. Especially if you've been doing it previously.. It is reccomended to stop laying flat on your back after the first trimester.. I think I started just using the ball when I was about 18 weeks...

March 28th, 2013, 10:57 AM
Super Mommy
Well shoot, there goes my excuse!!
March 28th, 2013, 12:04 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Lol yes, abs are fine (and great for labor prep) but laying on the back is bad. My plan was to modify things to the plank position but it just didn't seem to work with the particular moves in the video. Maybe I'll have to look up some specific moves I can do and completely sub out that section.
March 28th, 2013, 12:12 PM
Veteran
I was told not to do abs during my first pregnancy 6 years ago. The info has probably changed on that topic, but I don't do them... I do 45 minutes of cardio 3 days/week and lots of stretching after.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search